Message in a Bottle

by Keely

As I stand at the empty American Airlines counter I see my boss Sharon walking towards me.

“Hey Sharon!” I say.

“Hi Meg! I noticed that you haven’t taken advantage of your vacation days.”

“No I haven’t. I didn’t feel like going on vacation.” I say

“Well, you should really consider taking a break from work,” Sharon says with a compassionate smile.

“Okay I’ll think about it,” I say

After a few days of thinking about my options, I decide to tell Sharon that I want to take my vacation after all.

“Great! Have a great trip, Meg!” she exclaimed.

I decide to finally take a trip home to visit my father. I haven’t seen my father since my mother passed away. That was 10 years ago.

After I get off the plane I start thinking about the beach and how long it has been since I put my feet in that pristine blue water and sat on the warm sand. An hour later I find myself at the beach.

I find the waves calming and the ocean breeze refreshing. Coming home is the best luck I’ve had in a while.

I take a walk alone on this secluded beach and stumble upon a bottle that had washed up on the shore. Inside the bottle there is a message. Before unfolding the piece of paper my mind flashes back to when I was five.

When I was five years old my mother took me to this very beach and wrote on a piece of paper, ”Remember, the secret to life is to work hard and not be afraid to pursue your dreams. Love, Mom and Meg.” Then she rolled the paper up and put it in a glass bottle and set it afloat in the ocean.

My mother told me that if the bottle ever came back to me, then it wouldn’t be luck, but fate. I never thought that I would ever see that bottle again but my mother always believed in destiny. I don’t know when it was when I stopped thinking like that.

As I unfold the piece of paper, I can’t believe my eyes. I read the same message that my mother had written all those years ago.

After the eventful day, I go home to see my father. I tell him everything that happened. He says that it is my mothers’ way of telling me that it was time to come home.

This entry was posted in Main Page. Bookmark the permalink.