ClassDojo being updated!

Have you tried ClassDojo yet? Well, if you have and love it then you’ll love what they are doing now.  I recently logged on and came about an area where they were taking ideas on how to improve ClassDojo.  Here users of ClassDojo could make suggestions on things they wish ClassDojo could do.  After you post your suggestion others can read through and vote on them.  I’m thinking, the more votes the idea or suggestion gets the better chance it has of being implemented into ClassDojo. I’m sure realistic expectations take into play as well.

Here are a few ideas that I thought were great or wouldn’t mind having so I voted for them. ClassDojo wouldn’t let me log on, so the ideas are just in my own words but suggested other people.The blue comments are my own thoughts. The red is the status of the idea or suggestion.

• For rewards – as student gain positive points for behaviors they will be able to ‘purchase’ items for their character or change their characters. Items such as cool outfits, hats, glasses, colors of the character, etc. The characters could be personalized.
        • I like this feature. Who wouldn’t want to personalize their little monster.
  • Having a school wide account so that multiple teachers could award negative or positive points from any where. Then teachers could see the points for students no matter what class they are in and tally at the end of the day. (Something similar is being planned.)
        • As a school wide system, I think this may work with our positive behavior system. This way anyone with smartphones or iPad or laptop can keep track during school wide events, transitions, recess, lunch, huakai, etc. Someone suggested in the school account have codes for teachers so they know who gave what point. For example – Chang +1 Respect.This might be a good way to keep track of our school expectations for Na Koa Reward.
  • Feature allowing parents to have a login to see their child’s daily progress. (Planned)
        • This may alleviate you having to email the parents all the time or printing out reports. Plus since it’s real-time they can check when ever.
  • Instead of having monsters or cartoon characters have the option of putting the students picture instead.
        • In a school wide account this may help those who do not have particular students yet or at the beginning of the year with new students. 
  • Having the option to award by groups (Planned)
        • I was thinking for group projects if groups are working on experiments together and doing well or being respectful you can award all of them the same time. Or on particular components of the project. If you change to use ClassDojo as a reward system for curriculum or academic as mentioned in my previous review of this app.
  • Having the ability to award multiple students at once instead of doing individually, which may be time consuming. (Started)

There are so many others that I didn’t have enough votes.  But I checked out the ones that were planned or being started and I think they are very helpful towards using this application for behavior management.  I’m very excited. Here are a few more that I couldn’t vote for.

• Make iPhone app, Kindle Fire app, Android app (Started)
  • Enable more languages to be used. (Planned) Maybe Hawaiian?
  • Absent button so takes away name for the day
  • Have character evolve as gain more points or interact as points awarded

ONE LAST UPDATE…

As sent in my email tonight you can now change each student monster. You can pick which on you want for each student. You can even set them all to the same if you want.  That way students don’t get embarrassed or upset that they don’t have the one they want.  This could be a good thing.  You can tell students that as they gain so many positive points, you will give them the option to change their monster.  OR you can just print out an invitation for each student to pick their own monster / character.  I tried it.  The invitation gives them the ClassDojo site and a special code that they punch in. Though I think they have to make an account, which would be their KS email.  (Now that I think about it, it may be a hassle. But something worth trying if you want).

Well, I hope that you all try it. If you log into your account, on the left side bar there is an option “New Features”. Click there to make suggestions on how to improve ClassDojo, see others or vote on ones you like. It also lets you query out ideas that they have completed, planning and started.  This will let you know which ideas are in the works or done.

All the best!  -Kalei

Here’s a short video of how one teacher in Idaho uses ClassDojo. He even mentions using with specials teacher (PE).

Here’s another video showing how to change the avatars.
http://youtu.be/0i-UbjjrQY8

This entry was posted in iPad App Reviews and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to ClassDojo being updated!