Kamehameha Schools Kapālama

 Dual Credit Program

Policies and Procedures

Updated as of 02/2021

Before/During Registration

1. What is required for me to be eligible to take DC?

Any freshman (new or incoming) may request a dual credit course. Please see “course scheduling preferences” policy (policy # 8). Students and parents must affirm with their signature that they viewed an annual “DC Reminders” video.

2. Are there any prerequisites for dual credit?

Certain DC courses may have a prerequisite/other enrollment requirements (such as a placement test) on the KSK or college partner side. Additionally, some courses require a C or higher to progress to the next course in sequence. Please see the individual course description in the KSK high school course catalogue for information.

3. What is expected of a DC student?

All dual credit courses are college level courses and require college level of student responsibility and maturity. These courses contain rigorous academic work and a dedicated time commitment to ensure student success. Students are expected to do things such as, regularly check emails, self-monitor progress/grades in their courses, and be mindful of and attentive to the course syllabus. Additionally, students must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 or higher to be eligible for the AA.

4. How much does DC cost?

DC college course credits and any associated fees are paid for by KSK. Should the student fail or not complete the course, the student account will be billed $100 per college credit (all KSK DC courses are a minimum of 3 credits).

5. How do I register for DC courses?

The first step to registration is a course request. In order to secure dual credit courses in your schedule, you must select courses that indicate “(DC)” with the specific DC course number. If you do not select “(DC)” at the point of registration you will not be considered for DC. Click here to view current course offerings and course numbers.

6. Am I guaranteed a DC course if I request one?

Like any other course request, requesting a DC course does not guarantee that you will get the course in your schedule. Not only must the course fit in with your other course requests, additionally, you must meet all course prerequisites, have a kumu recommendation (if required), as well as complete all additional paperwork or course eligibility requirements by the deadline set by the DC office.

7. I requested a DC course, how do I know if I got it?

Your schedule is confirmation of your DC course(s) and is typically available in late July. While the course may appear in your schedule, you will not be able to receive college credit until all registration requirements are completed.

8. Who gets priority IF there are more course requests than seats available?

Class standing is the first registration priority, with seniors having first preference. Other considerations may include, but are not limited to: KSK and HPU graduation requirements, prerequisites, placement testing, cumulative GPA, teacher and/or counselor recommendation, attendance, progress report, AP status, adherence to deadlines, response to request for information, college application/form completion.

9. How does the DC wait list work?

If a wait list is utilized for registration, considerations may include but are not limited to, time/date stamp on registration, grade level (preference given to Seniors), previous course selection, academic performance, and graduation requirements.

10. May I take a dual credit course for KS/HS credit only?

The KS course catalog will note that some courses will be “DC Only,” meaning that they are only available to students wanting the college credit and may not be taken as a standalone high school credit course.

11. May I take DC courses if I am not working towards an AA degree?

Students may choose to take individual dual credit course offerings in their area of interest, or they may deliberately select required courses totaling 60 for the dual credit Associate of Arts degree (see the AA Planning Map). Once students request to take more than 18 college credits, they must sign off on the  “Dual Credit Continuation/Associate of Arts Acknowledgement and Agreement Form” and their status will change at HPU to “degree seeking.”

12. After successfully completing a regular KSK high school course, am I able to retake the same course for DC?

No. Due to current resources, course requests and seat availability, this is not allowed. This policy stands even IF the DC course was not available at the time the student was enrolled in the regular KSK high school course.

13. I am 18, can I sign my own documents?

Even if a student is 18, we require a parent/guardian signature on the KS agreement form. Because the parent/guardian is responsible for the student’s KSK account, their signature acknowledges that a charge will be made to the account in the event that the student fails, withdraws, or does not complete a DC course.

14. What happens if I miss the published deadline?

Failure to adhere to deadlines may result in your ineligibility to receive dual credit, and/or being removed from your scheduled course.

15. Will taking DC courses impact my college athletic eligibility?

College athletic eligibility is not impacted by taking dual credit courses while enrolled in high school. A student athlete’s “clock” doesn’t start until the student is a college student.

16. Why do I have to do a health clearance form?

The State Department of Health requires a health clearance whenever a student changes their institution (click this link for more information). DC enrollment with HPU is considered a change of institution, however, the dual credit office works with Hale Ola and HPU to verify your health records on your behalf. Additional documentation may be required if a student attends an in-person course on HPU’s campus.


Once Registered

17. Am I really a college student?

Yes! Dual credit students are concurrently enrolled at KSK and the partner college. Should a student wish, they may get a College ID (which often comes with additional benefits and discounts). Additionally, the college library and other academic resources such as the writing lab, advising etc. may be available to dual credit KSK students who visit the college campus or reach out for additional support.

18. Do I need to follow the partner college policies?

Yes, dual credit students are required to follow ALL KSK and partner college policies.

KSK Handbook

Hawaiʻi Pacific University Handbook

19. Will credits transfer to every college?

Credits for the HPU AA live at HPU and are there for further degree completion. Credits may also be transferred from HPU, but may not transfer equally, or to every college. Transfer ability is handled on a case-by-case basis by each college. Please check with the individual colleges you are considering.

20. Can I drop a DC class? When am I able to drop a course?

Students must adhere to the partner college “drop” dates (click here to view the HPU Academic Calendar). Failure to do so may result in a permanent “W”ithdraw or “F”ailure on the student’s college transcript.

21. Does the college have an attendance policy?

Attendance for dual credit courses follow KSK policy unless the department or kumu have set additional expectations. Please read each course syllabus carefully to be sure you understand the attendance policy and its potential impact on your success in the course. Please note that KSK Summer School has their own policy.

Summer School Website

22. Once I opt in to the AA program, at the end of my sophomore year at KSK, I’m in no matter what, right?

Students must maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA in all DC courses in order for an Associate of Arts degree to be conferred. If students fail a course or fall below the GPA requirement, they may be prohibited from continuing to register for additional DC courses.

23. My child has a documented disability, how will they be supported in their DC course?

Currently all college partner instructors are vetted KSK kumu who follow the ADA policy in the KSK HS Student & Parent Handbook (link). Additional college level supports may be available to the student should they choose to visit the college campus.

24. Are the policies different if I take a DC course during the summer?

Summer school students must also follow all DC policies as well as any policies included in the Summer School handbook.

Summer School Website

25. How do I know if I’m in good standing?

A person or organization in good standing is regarded as having complied with all their explicit obligations, while not being subject to any form of sanction, suspension or disciplinary censure.

26. What if I am unable to attend school due to medical leave or documented hardship?

Your options will depend on when your medical leave begins and how long you will be out. If you leave within the add/drop period, you may opt to drop the class with no penalty. If you leave after the add/drop period, the ultimate determination of your options, which may include an “I”ncomplete or a “W”ithdraw, will be made in conjunction with the dual credit student support team, kumu and counselor, KSK administration and partner college, on a case-by-case basis. If the terms of the “I”ncomplete are not fulfilled by the agreed upon deadline, it may result in a permanent “F”ailure on both the KSK and HPU transcript.

27. What happens if I am asked to leave KSK (or choose to leave) after I have enrolled in a DC course?

If a student leaves KSK within the add/drop period, they may opt to drop the course. If the student leaves after the add/drop period, the ultimate determination of your grade, an “I”ncomplete or a “W”ithdraw, will be made in conjunction with the dual credit student support team, kumu and counselor, KSK administration and partner college, on a case-by-case basis.

28. What if I am academically dishonest?

Consequences may be leveled at both institutions. Refer to KS/partnering college handbook.

KSK Handbook

Hawaiʻi Pacific University Handbook

29. What if I am concerned about my grades or final exam?

Final exams are given at the discretion of the instructor on record. If you have any concerns regarding grades or final exams, please contact your instructor.

30. What happens if I get on Academic Probation (AP) while enrolled in a DC course?

DC students need to consistently do their best work academically. Should a student go on AP while enrolled in a DC course, they may be required to drop to KSK only credit and may not receive college credit. Students may also be prohibited from enrolling in additional DC courses.


Implications of not completing or failing a course

31. What happens if I earn a grade marking of “F”ailure in my DC course?

Please do your best to pass all courses! If you fail, consequences will include: repayment to KS $100 per college credit (billed directly to your student account regardless of Financial Aid status), an “F” on your KSK high school and college transcript (which may impact future college admissions, as well as your ability to receive federal aid at the college level), in addition to potentially impacting your KSK graduation if you fail a required course.

32. On rare occasions, a KSK kumu or college instructor may give me an I on my transcript. How does this work?

An “I” stands for incomplete, indicating the student was unable to complete all course requirements, but that the kumu/instructor is willing to work to allow you to complete the agreed upon assignments within an agreed upon time frame. Students may need to complete and sign a plan with KSK and the partner college. Not completing the terms and agreement of the “I” within the allotted time may result in the “I” changing to a permanent  “F”. Should the grade become an “F,” repayment policies will apply.

33. If I fail a course, will I be able to retake the course for DC or take another DC course?

If a student fails a DC course, the repayment policy will be enforced. Additionally, the student will not be allowed to retake the same course for dual credit. DC eligibility for future courses may be jeopardized by failing a DC course. If the student wishes to take another KSK course for DC, they MUST meet with the DC Coordinator and possibly additional members of the KS students support team (depending on the reason for failure) to determine a future plan for dual credit eligibility and student success.