Freshmen Forum 29

ʻO ka makaʻu aku iā Iēhova, ʻo ia ke kumu o ke akamai;

Psalm 111:10a states,

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;…”

What does this mean for you?  Which is a greater motivator for being pono… fear or love?  Give an example with your manaʻo.

Click on “comments” to submit your manaʻo…

9 thoughts on “Freshmen Forum 29

1. Xavier Shiffler

I think this passage means that we should fear God because He is the almighty, loving God. He is powerful enough to wipe us all out but he wonʻt do it because he is all-knowing and loves us all.

Reply
  2. Jordan Holokai-Jacinto

I believe that this passage is saying that in order to truly gain knowledge/wisdom, you need to know how to fear god. This is because fearing god, is like respecting him, because you understand his power over you. However, I believe that love is a greater motivator for being pono than fear is, mostly because with situations motivated by fear, people tend to do whatever they can to accomplish their goal. This leads to a greater chance of leading to the use of lies/deception. But, with love, people generally find that they can accomplish things that they never thought possible before, even though it was, the human brain just makes you believe certain things are impossible for the body to accomplish in order to minimize the chances of pain. But overall, I believe that love is the greater motivator for being pono out of the two.

Reply
  3. Japheth Joaquin

This is saying that the Lord is very powerful and we shouldn’t go against him but instead to fear or trust in him. Love is a greater motivator for me since if you love someone you will do good unto them.

Reply
  4. Jadon Valdez

The passage “The fear of the lord is the beginning of wisdom” is a very deep and meaningful passage. When it talks about the fear of the lord it talks about us as humanity being the lords servants and it is our jobs to serve and fear him. Though we fear him that does not mean that he is someone that will kill you if you donʻt, he gives you the choice to follow and serve him or serve the devil. By you making the choice to fear the lord then you have done the wise choice and not the dumb one by serving the devil.

Reply
  5. Buster Karlen

I think this passage means that once you learn to fear and respect God on his almighty power and strength you will have wisdom and knowledge. When you understand on how great God is you will look at things through a new perspective. For me fear is a greater motivator then love, right now in the world there is alot of fear but love is also a very strong motivator.

Reply
  6. Mamo Kapuni

I think that this passage means that because God is so strong and powerful, that we should be mindful of his power, and sometimes fear it. I think that if we fear him, we can then learn from our mistakes. From this, we can gain wisdom and learn what and what not to do. In a way, it essentially teaches us whatʻs right and whatʻs wrong. This new found knowledge can help us be more pono.

Reply
  7. Nāhale Dukelow

I think this passage means you can begin to gain wisdom and insight from His words until you learn to respect the Lord for how great He is. The mixture of love and terror, I guess, makes somebody pono. You start to fear any negative stuff that could happen to them when you love someone or something, and that’s when you know you have to do good and do what’s right.

Reply
  8. Tidus Paet-Vegas

This passage is saying that the Lord is very powerful and we shouldn’t go against him. Love makes me more pono than fear because if it is something or someone I love, I will do anything for that person or thing to help them.

Reply
  9. Jenson Nakasone

I think this passage means that once you learn to fear the Lord because of how powerful he is, you will start to gain wisdom and knowledge from His words. I think a combination of love and fear makes someone pono. When you love someone or something, you start to fear some bad things that could happen to them and that is when you realize you have to do good and do what is right.

Reply