Freshmen Forum 28

Hōʻihi is important in most cultures, to show respect and to be respected.  Yet it seems in our society, the tendency is to look out for self without care or concern for how we affect others.

How important is politeness and courtesy today?  Why or why not?  What aspects are vital to keep practicing or to bring back into the norm?

Click on “comments” to submit your manaʻo…

27 thoughts on “Freshmen Forum 28

1. Noa Saito-Takabayashi

For me it is always important to show respect to others because I was taught that it was the right thing to do. Itʻs important to show respect because without respect, everyone would just care about themself. In this day people donʻt show enough respect to one another. For example, in school some people are bulling others and putting them down to where they lose respect for even themself. Some students donʻt respect their peers and teachers to where they are calling them inappropriate slurs and putting them off to be ignored. This is why respect is very important, we need it to stay pono to one another with respect.

Reply
  2. Damari Wright

I believe respect and politeness is extremely important. I feel that itʻs not practiced as much as it was in the past, however. I was raised to respect everyone no matter what. Even if they have done bad to me or they are not respectful to me, I have learned to respect the values I was raised with, and treat them with common courtesy. You never know what someone is going through, so I believe being respectful to someone is the least any person could do.

Reply
  3. Giselle Bocon-Domen

In my family, respect is a very important factor. My mom taught me to to have respect for everyone and treat them politely.Today, people have lost respect to others and itʻs very sad that people are becoming meaner each day. Itʻs important to bring this back because people need to have more respect for others and to be polite.

Reply
  4. Tiare Amorin

In my family, respect is a big part of our character. I was always taught to respect the people I come in contact with. When you are able to respect someone and their choices then you will receive the same in return. Today in society, many people look over the meaning of having respect. Respect is the key to people living in harmony. Our character is what people see and if we aren’t able to care for one another then you canʻt have respect either. Everyone has room for more respect and in the present we all need to have that and spread Aloha.

Reply
  5. Laʻikūkalani Wong

Politeness and courtesy is just part of the golden rule, “Treat others the way you want to be treated. I respect everyone and I feel like it is just good to be respectful and to be polite to others. Even if you do not know them. Having that constant mindset to be kind to others can just give you a good feeling about yourself. It gives you a good reputation. I feel if everyone was polite and lost the attitudes I feel like the world would be a better place.

Reply
  6. Buster Karlen

In my family respect is very important in everyday life. my parents have taught me and my siblings to be polite to others and have respect for everybody. Some things to bring back is holding the door for people, complimenting people, treating people with love, and more. these are all things that we should practice everyday, and want to do it. Being polite improves your surroundings and really shows that you have good character.

Reply
  7. Courtney Vannatta-Hamasaki

I believe politeness and curtesy is very important now days. I believe it is important because you never want people to look at you like you are a rude person. It also does not only reflect on you but it may make your family look just as bad. So you should always respect others and yourself because sometimes that may even just be best.

Reply
  8. Alexis Rosete

In my family, politeness and courtesy are very important today. I believe that everyone should be respectful and kind because you never know what someone else may be going through and ever since I was young, I grew up with the saying treat others how you want to be treated. So if you are kind and respectful to everyone else then they will respect you. I think it is vital to always be kind and polite. Everyone should try their best to be nice to everyone, honest to all and respectful to everyone.

Reply
  9. Masen heu

Respect is very important. I was taught to be respectful and to treat people how you want to be treated. we don’t want future generations to be rude and arrogant we want them to be respectful and kind.

Reply
  10. Kirra Spalding

I feel like respect and politeness is one of the most important thing in life because you will never get anywhere you want to be without politeness. This is important to bring back because I feel like we will always need respect and being polite to one another.

Reply
  11. Kayla Frias

Politness and courtesy is very important today because it goes far back and and its a really respectful thing to do. I think its a good thing to reviialize this and to bring politness and courtesy back, people need to start practicing it and showing it with one another.

Reply
  12. Kainoa Gates

I think politeness and integrity are very important to execute in todays society. You should not be thinking of yourself but others too. I know that when people think about themselves they go astray and down the wrong path. Instead we should help people and be more respectful. I believe that by achieving self discipline and integrity shall we truly rebuild our culture and society.

Reply
  13. Edward Hudcovic

I feel like being respectful is very important. I feel this way because the way I determine if someone is a good person or is trustworthy is if they are polite and respect me. I also feel that it is important that I be polite and show respect to others because that is how I want to get treated.

Reply
  14. Ryan Wise

I feel like being respectful and polite nowadays is extremely vital and shows what kind of person you truly are. I feel this way because the way I determine if someone is a good person or is trustworthy is if they are polite and respect me no matter how I look, what I wear, etc. I also feel that it is important that I be polite and show respect to others because it is a life skill that can get me very far in life. Whether its making friends or getting a job it can help me immensely. If you treat others poorly or negatively instead of treating them with respect then you will get that same energy back and people may think of you the wrong way. This is why I feel like hōʻihi is a key thing that we should all normalize and practice everyday.

Reply
  15. Jayna Kanoholani

In my family respect is very important because if everyone respects each other, then we can accomplish things together. I was always told that we should be courteous and respectful to each other that way we don’t have issues. I think If more people were respectful to each other we wouldn’t have a lot of the current issues we have now. I think the world would be a much better place if everyone carried values such as respect.

Reply
  16. Isaac DeLima

In my family respect is everything. My parents and grandparents have taught me and my siblings to be respectful and be polite to everybody. I believe this is very important to bring back because most people are being more rude and disrespectful in todays society, back in the days if you were disrespectful or talked back you would get slapped thats why all the kupuna are super respectful and show it to everybody. I hope that everybody start to teach it to their kids again so that everybody in the future aren’t arrogant or else this world would be chaotic and it’s already starting to show.

Reply
  17. Micah Beniamina

In my family we have 3 rules, Work hard, be nice and respect others. My parents have be able to show me how these rules look and apply in the real world. Respecting everyone no matter what ethnicity or what gender. My family dose believe in thinking about what we can do to speak up and stand up for ourselves. Of course this can lead to over stepping and then we are reminded of our rules by our parents. But using these rues in the world can help us and others around us . Allowing us to make complex thoughts about something such as benefits and downfalls. I thing a good thing to count on is that no matter where you are there is always good things in the world.

Reply
  18. Alyssa Cuttie

In my family being respectful and having courtesy for others in very important.My mother and father always enforced being respectful towards people all the time. I think having respect is essential in our society today because there is many people who disrespect people, kumu, etc. and forget manners. As a community we need to respect others. Also in school having respect it something we learn from a very young age meaning it is a good thing because what we learn from a young age we will remember for the rest of our lives.

Reply
  19. kawika lesa

I think that we are not polite because we disrespect everyones opinion like the telescope and how people don’t think that climate change isnʻt a sereious thing. I think we should learn to be more polite and more caring about our beloved planet earth.

Reply
  20. Jadon Valdez

In my family respect is very important in everyday life. I have been taught to treat everyone and everything with respect. I feel that the amount of respect you give to the things around you makes you show/ shine over the people that show disrespect or just donʻt care.

Reply
  21. Savannah Browne

Ever since kindergarten here, we were always taught the motto, “Treat others the way you want to be treated”. That was known as the golden rule. This rule is basically the ‘key to success’ in respect & being polite. Respect is something that we all should have. Without respect, I believe we wouldn’t be taken seriously in this world. Learning respect as a child is very important because I was specifically told that if I failed to do so then, it’s guaranteed that I’d struggle later on in the future. I appreciate coming from an amazing family and being taught common curtesy & respect.

Reply
  22. Maile Kalama

I was taught by my elders to have respect for everybody. Itʻs important to be kind and polite to others considering new upbringings in the modern world. I think saying “thank you” and “please” are essential to showing courtesy. People may be driven to harmful things just because one bad day, thatʻs why itʻs important to remember to be kind.

Reply
  23. Elyse Kapuni

In my family, respect is crucial, in the sense that when you respect someone, you will get respect back. My parents and grandparents helped raise me and shape me into the person I am today. I’d like to think of myself as a respectful young adult. Being respectful to others with surely come with its benefits. Whether those benefits, come in through new friendships, or being able to feel a sense of trust and honesty. Politeness is a good skill to practice and make a habit out of. Being polite really improves your surroundings and really shows that you have good character.

Reply
  24. Brayden Joaquin

Politeness is a key role in today’s society that may seem overlooked by the community. Politeness is important because the key quote “treat others the way you want to be treated” comes through a lot in life and is very important when youʻre talking to others. A single negative comment can take you into very bad situations. Which is why itʻs always key to remember that quote since itʻs very simple yet very hard to realize your actions.

Reply
  25. Elijah Paul Auweloa

These traits are also known under something called chivalry, and although I personally think it is one of the most important virtues of a person, it is often overlooked by many. The disappointing thing about this is that most times, it also misinterpreted, if a person shows any type of caring or courteous gesture towards one specific person, it is taken by others as a showing of deeper interest. Even if it’s rare in today’s time, some people just aim to show Aloha and put others before themselves.

Reply
  26. Kamaka Hoopii

In my family, we were taught to always treat others with respect and be nice. I was taught that if you donʻt give respect, then you wonʻt get any. Nowadays, people have little to no respect for each other. People think that they are better than some people because of what they have or what they can do. I think a lot of us need to have more respect for others and there wonʻt be that much problems with each other over pointless things.

Reply
  27. Bradin Nitahara

Well in my family respect is very important. Our father and mother have taught us to be polite to others and have respect for everybody. I think it is very important to bring this back because everyone is slowly thinking that it is ok to do whatever to people and to disrespect their leaders and teachers. We also learn about this in school and I think this is a good thing to revitalize this tradition of respect.

Reply