5th Grade Mana’o

Wisdom-Na‘auao-3/1/16

We recently learned what wisdom really looks like in action.  It is the ability to figure out between what is pono and pono‘ole and making that pono choice or decision.  God gives us wisdom when we humbly ask for it.  Having a high respect and relationship with God is where wisdom starts because He shows us His ways to follow.  Real wisdom is when we actually follow.

Please watch the video below. Answer the following questions in the comments.

1. Why do you think the albatross was given the name “Wisdom”?
  2. What are your wonders, feelings, or connections to our lesson on wisdom and this video?
  3. How is being wise a benefit to you and others around you?

“What Do You Think?”- 3/12/15

Read the scriptures below from the book of Job.  Comment about what this tells you about God.  What connections do you make?  Observing is a very important skill.  How does this connect to that?  Kuana’ike is also valuable.  Is there a connection?

Job 12:7-10

But ask the animals what God does.
    They will teach you.
Or ask the birds in the sky.
    They will tell you.
Or speak to the earth. It will teach you.
    Or let the fish in the ocean educate you.
Are there any of these creatures that don’t know
    what the powerful hand of the Lord has done?
He holds the life of every creature in his hand.
    He controls the breath of every human being.

‘Ohana

Please search and read the thinglink below and leave a comment. Do you agree or disagree and why? Could we add to this list? If so, what would you add? We discussed that we all have a role or kuleana in our own families. We also learned what that kuleana is from God’s kuana’ike or perspective. Be sure your comment has at least three sentences.

Comments are due by next week Monday, November 10.

83 Responses to 5th Grade Mana’o

1. Shawna says:

Being wise benefits others around me because we can make the right choices. And we can encaurage others to make the right choices too.

2. Shawna says:

3. Michael says:

Why do I think that the birds name is wisdom is because of her age. And also because her smarts involving the ocean and currents. She is probably one to find the food. Why is this one bird so important?if you are wise then the others around you will learn from your actions.

4. Noah says:

They are taking care of the animals that need help

5. Alexis says:

I think it was named wisdom because it knew what to do and when. He/she (not really sure) showed that he/she knew what to do, when to get food for the little one, and why to do it. I feel and think that everyone has knowledge but not everybody knows to show it. “Show what you know”… For example, if your classmate needs help on a TEST, not helping him/her is showing wisdom because you already know, just show. If you did help, that’s not helping yourself or your friend because you’ll both get in trouble.

6. Micah Mahuna says:

Being wise can effect others because if you say the wrong thing or do something wrong it can effect you or that person.i wonder if they are scarred of us because they were cleaning and it was just staying there.

7. Hina says:

I agree with this because just like my family we try to keep our pilina strong. This connects to the albatross because they have a family too.

8. Aaron says:

Wisdom is something that is more valuable then gold. It is something you need to earn or do something to earn that.

9. Noah says:

I learned that the bird has a lot of wisdom from traveling at least 10000 miles around the world. To get wisdom you need to live for a surtain amount of years.

10. Autumn says:

The birds name was Wisdom because it knew what and when do to. I can’t believe all the rubbish and bad things at the beach. It made me think of all the people of this world, and how we are all living things. Being wise being its all of us because if we’re all wise we can lead each other and be more like God.

11. Hina says:

The birds in the sky tells us a lot. The birds in the sky are our kupuna, they watch over us and are wise, our kupuna were wise.

12. Micah Mahuna says:

Being wise around others Is a very big thing because if I say something or do something wrong it will affect you and the other person

13. Noah says:

I agree with all the things on the list because to me they mean what it says. I don’t think we need to add to this list because there is enough for people to understand it. The list is good for me because I understand it.

14. Kehaunani 5B says:

I that she got the name Wisdom because she traveled around the world and has a lot of knowledge in her. She has probably seen a lot of things and because of that God has granted her much knowledge. He also gave her a long life!
    I wonder why she had babies so late. I connect to this because sometimes my grandma tells me wisdom comes with age and she is very wise. Wisdom is wise and she has much experience because of her age!
    It will benefit the future generations because you can tell them your wisdom and they will be wise too! It benefits me because instead of just knowing the right choice you do the right choice. Just like actions speak louder then thoughts or words so do not think!

15. Aaron says:

Wisdom is very valuable. Wisdom needs to be earned by doing good things. You need to look from different parts of things. Wisdom is more important then gold. Wisdom is earned from God. A person needs to be a fair sport and not brag or be mean to others. Wisdom is so valuable that some people just try to earn it.

16. Hina says:

The benefit of being wise is that you can teach others. The albatross was given the name because she was a reminder of our kupuna.

17. Makena says:

I think the albatross was named wisdom because she was wise to not get sick with rubbish.
    I feel like “wow, she’s 65 years old? That’s a long time for an albatross.
    Being wise benefits me because I would know how to solve problems. It will benefit others because then I could solve their problems.

18. Hulali 5B says:

I think that the bird is named Wisdom because she has a lot of wisdom because of how old she is, she has gathered a lot of wisdom over the years. I also think she is named wisdom because in her lifetime she has done a lot of things in her life. One of my wonders is how old is she and how has she survived all these years. Being wise is a benifit to me because if there is someone who is being bullied I would and will stand up for them. This is going to benifit the people around me because they will have someone to lean on.

19. Rusty says:

1 I think the bird is called wisdom because she has been though everything and she has been alive all this time.
    2 I wonder when she was named wisdom and how has wisdom serviced all this time.
    3 If your wise people around you can be safe because you will be doing the write thing . but if your not wise you can hurt other people and yourself because you can do dumb things .

20. Elise 5B says:

Wisdom is called wisdom because she has lived a long time. She tried to take the knowledge of what she learned for how long she lived. When her egg hatched, her mate waited for her to come back with food. He tried to feed the chick even when he did not have any food left. Wisdom has traveled a long time to feed her chick and teach her the knowledge that she learned before. She is teaching the future generations about her knowledge and what she got from that. I can benefit wisdom by teaching others what I learned and they can teach me from their knowledge.

21. Kamailah says:

I think the albatross was given the name wisdom because it has been on earth for so long that it knows so much. It goes over seas and travels so far so it knows a lot of things about the land and the sea. It is wise. I wonder if the albatross is like humans and don’t have wisdom when they are young. Being wise is a benefit to me because I will know what to do when I am put in a situation that is hard for me.

22. Sara 5B says:

I think that the albatrosses name was wisdom because she knows what is right for her baby and she goes off and does it. I wonder why people act like they have wisdom but they really don’t? My connection is that when I am at home I know that I need to wash the dishes and I do it. Being wise benifits me and others because when I’m doing things that are right than other people might start to do things that are right to.

23. Noah says:

I think it was givin the name wisdom because it is really old and they know a lot. I wonder if the birds have a really hard time surviving out there? Being wise is a benefit because you will be respected and people will trust you more.

24. Shade5b says:

I think that the albatross was named “wisdom” because she is 65 years old and the kupuna are most times wise and have the knowledge like no one else in the generations. He was not only `akamai he was na`auao. The albatross can give you a sense of the scale It says it Jacob 6:12, oh be wise, what can I say more? It says in the bible millions of times. Wisdom can find shores in the nearby area and could guide the Hokulea.
    I wonder how the albatross can find nearby shores? I wonder how wisdom be still thriving at 65 years old and how is the bird so wise?
    Being wise can help you and others around you because when you are wise, you make wise decisions. Wise decisions are good decisions, which helps you. It also helps others want to be around you if you make good choices and are wise.

25. Adam says:

I think the bird was named wisdom because the bird was alive so long that the bird has experience with things. Wisdom has been alive for 65 years so she can teach younglings. And if those youngsters have wisdom they will know how to survive.

I think this video has impacted me. I think so because after I watched it I felt happy. Having wisdom is important because you have to learn what is right and what is wrong. Those are what I though

Being wise is helpful. Being wise is different from being smart. I think wisdom is important because God all gave us wisdom and we just have to make that choice to use it wisely.

26. Kaiyana5B says:

The albatross was named wisdom because she created hope for all the environmental problems in the world. She traveled thousands and thousands of miles to find good food not only for her baby but so that others can have good food to. My wonder is what is it like to make more than hundreds of people feel good? Does the action have to grow in order to make even more people happy? I wonder if you say something compared to if you do somethings of others around you will they be the same kind of happy for one or both? Being wise benefits me because I can have the good felling of making other around me happy. Because of this others will have that mind and heart to do good things so that they can make a difference to other people to!

27. Aaron says:

I think the reason why she was named wisdom because she still probably so wise. Wisdom is so valuable if your name means wisdom I think you should be wise. Wisdom is more valuable then gold. Everyone should try to be wise no matter what. The benefits of being wise is that you can get a good job. You can connect to God in so much ways. I wonder if you can lose the trust of God or for you to not be wise.

28. Micah Wana says:

3. How is being wise a benefit to you and others around

I think that the birds name is wisdom because of how much care it got as a baby chick. My wonder in class was if you gain wisdom by not being proud or boastful then can you just be proud of yourself without boasting to everyone. A connection was once when I was playing basketball a made a trick shot but I was really boastful about it. When you are wise in helps you because when you need help the wisdom that God gave you will help but it will also help you make good choices. When you are around others it will help you because when they tell you to do something bad you will have the wisdom do make the right choice. You are also going to need to do some good things so when that happens you don’t want to be the one that is responsible for making a bad choice so the wisdom that you have will help you throughout your whole life.

29. Ty5B says:

I think the birds name was called wisdom because of all the care it takes of its new born baby chick and also doing that when it has to travel all the miles and other important things. My wonders was how is this bird so old and is so busy with things like traveling taking care of its baby and more. Also my feelings were awesome to this bird because it cares about its baby and life. It is important to be wise to each other because you have to be carful what you see and do because if you see something bad to someone it can effect thier life.

30. Kamakani 5B says:

I think that the albatross was named wisdom because of there journey. Albatrosses travel the whole world therefore they have the wisdom of the whole world and then they share it to there babies. And that is why I think they get the name wisdom.
    I wonder how the albatrosses remember all of there wisdom of the world and how they share it. If albatrosses could talk they would be in my eye a primary source of information. I think being wise is a benefit to others because if you are wise it can help you for not getting in trouble or even bigger things like getting into a car accident. You can be wise and help your friends chose the correct thing and save them from either a deadly situation or a not so rough situation.

31. Christian says:

I think the albatross was named wisdom because of all the albatrosses journeys it took. I also think it was called that because of their journey. Albatrosses travel very long travels. I wonder how wisdom had a chick around 65years old? I wonder how the albatrosses have the stamina to travel those far distances. I wonder if all the albatrosses have a leader? Being wise is a benefit to use because we have a lot of knowledge. Being wise is a benefit to others around you because they will become wise to.

32. Makanani says:

Watching Nick made me feel that he trusts God and believes that he can do anything he puts his mind to. Nick doesn’t have any arms and legs but that doesn’t stop him from doing what wants to do. Nick connects to what we have been learning about ho‘omau because he keeps trying until he succeeds. He believes that God is there no matter what he is cłose to you when you need him and when you don’t. His moms quote “Try your best and God will do the rest.” This relates to ho‘omau because you need to try the best you can and let God help you the rest of the way because he is always there.

33. Malachi Thornton-Fukui says:

I think the albatrosses name was wisdom because she went out and hot food for her young and she can teach you what it means to have wisdom and be kind to the aina. My feelings about this videos is that I can teach people wisdom and what it means like the albatross named wisdom. Being wise is a benefit to others and me because wisdom can show kindness and respect for others. Wisdom can also show how you feel about other people and what you think about other people.