Freshmen Forum 8

In this year’s elections, people disagreed as to who would be a good political leader.  As a “Christian” (a disciple or follower of Christ, one who resembles Christ) we have the teachings of Jesus as our guide.  Accordingly, what characteristics or qualities do you think are essential and why would these be important for an alakaʻi?

Click on “comments” to share your manaʻo…

4 thoughts on “Freshmen Forum 8

1. faith kekahuna-santos

i think some characteristics that would be important for a leader to have are to be humble, caring, to have a soft heart, to be loving and generous, courteous, and to show mercy and grace to the people they encounter every day.

Reply
  2. Mahonri Aiwohi

I think that it would be good to have a christian political leader because this country was founded upon religion. We also believe in Christ. In the pledge of allegiance it says “one nation under God” and i believe that we all should respect that. Although our country believes in religious freedom, the Christian leader has or should have good values and should have great moral character.

Reply
  3. Mauliola Gonsalves

Some of Jesus’s qualities that are essential in being a leader are identification, clarification, motivation and collaborations. Identification is knowing who you are. In order for you to lead people you must be open to who you are and what you see yourself as. In the bible, Jesus identified himself as the following; I am the light of the world.
    I am the Son of God.
    I am the way.
    I am the truth.
    I am the life.
    I am the bread of life.
    Clarification is clarifying what you feel is necessary to be done as you are leader and justifying why you want it to be done. Jesus showed this by clarifying what God sent him to do. In John 8 Jesus says, “I know where I came from and I know where I’m going.” With motivation as a christian, your motivation should be the same as Jesus’s which is to please the one that sent him which is God. A great leader is a great team builder. Collaboration is important because without a group to surround a leader, the word of the leader is not spread. With Jesus, his disciples surrounded him and spread what he said.

Reply
  4. Danann Mitchell

I think that a leader as important and prominent as the President should be honest, compassionate, and intelligent. They should be familiar with the problems of all the people living in America; the rich, the poor, and the middle class. They should use be compassionate and sensitive to everyone’s problems while also being honest with them. I think a leader should be cultured, intelligent, and well-spoken. These qualities are what I look for in a leader.

Reply