FISH! Food for Thought #14: Keep A Poem In Your Pocket…

On Wednesday, April 17, the students of Kula Haʻahaʻa will be celebrating Poetry month by having a Poem in your Pocket day!  Hereʻs a poem for students to ponder as we get ready to begin our 29th day together on Monday! You need to find a poem that you like, that represents you, is funny, is about school, is about something you love, etc…the choice is yours, but you must have a poem in your pocket on Wednesday! 🙂

Simple Truth Poem

Simple Truth Poem

Students:  share what you think this poem means, offer proof/evidence from the text to support your meaning in paragraph #1.  Make connections to our class also and share examples from the text and our class to support your answers in paragraph #2.  Word to the Wise….as I said many times before, you must read the poem and directions carefully and make sure you include all that is required.  Commenting quickly, doesnʻt make you thoughtful!  I am not offering a 2nd chance, please revise before you hit reply. 

This entry was posted in FISH! Food For Thought. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to FISH! Food for Thought #14: Keep A Poem In Your Pocket…

1. Davin5B says:

I think the meaning of this poem is that habits can make or break someone. I got this from when the poem said that “I will push you to success or down to disappointment.” Bad habits itself to me probably won’t bring me down to disappointment, but if I let the bad habit get to the next level then it might affect my performance in school, sports, chores, etc. So to me its alright to have bad habit’s but you should control it to not let it get to the point where it affects your performance.

This poem connects to our class because a lot of people including myself have some bad habits. For example I notice that a lot of people have a bad habit of talking in class when their not supposed to. In some cases its gotten to the point where it has affected their school work, but in most cases it hasn’t gotten to that level. As a class we should not let our habits bring us down to the level of disappointment and as a team I feel that we should help Kokua everyone if we notice it heading in that direction. This is how our class connects to the same phrase from the poem that I used in my earlier paragraph which is “I will push you to success or down to disappointment”.

2. Travis 5B says:

To me this poem means that a habit, good or bad, will lead you through life. It says that “those who are great I have made great, those who are failures I have made failures” that means that a habit will guide you and lead you to your destiny. In the poem a line was “I am easily managed just be firm with me” and that means that a habit is easy to control, but you must lead it. A habit will lead you if you lead the habit. That may sound a little weird, but that means that a habit leads you as you make new habits. If you have a habit of procrastinating then you might do that the rest of your life. Habits are hard to break, but it is possible.
    Our class can connect to this because we have a habit of talking. That is a bad habit that we need to stop doing. Talking is on thing keeping us from earning the alakai title. We can stop this habit by trying not to “temp” our selfs to talk. What I mean by that is we should set our selfs up not to talk by not standing by people we want talk near or moving if there is a distraction near by. A good habit our class has is getting along. When people were bullying we stopped so others wouldn’t feel down. We might get along to much in places we are not suppose to like in line where we are suppose to be quite. These are both habits that bring us down and up. The text said “those who are great I have made great, those who are failures I have made failures” our class has one of each.

3. Ka'ai says:

I think this poem means that some habits are not good because it can ruin your life like smoking. In the poem it says that “Those who are great, I have made great. Those who are failures, I have made failures” To me that means that habits can be good or bad. The people that have good habits are going to get rewarded and the people with bad habits will get consequences.

In class people have good habits and some people have not so good habits Some people have habits of sharing. Good habits can turn into bad habits because if you share to much others won’t get to share. Some people have bad habits like talking to
    loud.

4. Koa 5b says:

I think this poem means habbits,good or bad, lead you through your life. Bad habbits do bad things to you and good habbits do good things to you, but it’s your life. Sometimes you have bad habbits but don’t know that band sometimes you have good habbits but don’t know that. Sometimes you have bad habbits and know but you still do it anyway and sometimes you have good habbits and know it and you feel good for yourself. Some bad habbits are not that bad at all. Other bad habbits are really bad. The goodest habbit is always doing good things. The badest habbit is always do bad things. Just remember that habbits make up most of your life.

5. Anela 5B says:

To me I think this poem means that you can have habits that can effect you in a positive manor or in a negative manor. If you have habits of not turning in your assignments that could impact your grade negitively or if you have habits of always turing in your work on time done at the best of your abilities that could impact your grades in a good way. You can change your habits but sometimes it can be hard because you do it offten. If you change in a positive way than your day will be more cheery and you wont have a whole load on your back to work about.
    This poem can connect to us as a team because if our team keeps dropping the ball than that wouln’t be fair to the rest of the class because we are trying hard to earn the alakai title and the more we drop the ball the furter we get from being 5th grade alakai. Our class would be the first in history not to earn that title. Everyday is getting closer and closer to the last day of school and our chance is getting slimmer and slimmer as everday day passes. I personally know our class can do that because if we truly work as a team than we can make it a HABIT to live like true FISH!! PHILOSIPHERS!!

6. Nae'ole 5B says:

I think this means that when you have a bad habit you’ll have a bad life and when you have a good habit you’ll have a good life, I think this because a bad habit like smoking can lead to a bad life like if you smoke you will have many health issues and your life will be bad. If you have good habits like not smoking and doing the right thing you will have a good life and you will be congratulated for your deeds.
    I can connect this poem to our class because sometimes we have good habits and sometimes bad habits like how some people do bad things like hurt others while others do the right thing and help others and chose the right path to go. Some of the bad things are like swearing and hurting one another on purpose. Some of the good things like helping others when they fall and doing all their homework can lead to good things! So what path would you chose good or bad habits?

7. Aleiya 5b says:

I think this poem means if you have a bad habit….. its up to you to change this habit to a good habit and take control over this habit and show it who’s the boss. When this poem says “I am easily managed; just be firm with me” i think this means if you try your best and try to stop this bad habit, you can do it. Just be firm with your self, and set goals that you promise to yourself you will achieve. For example bullying. A specific example would be if you always talk to a certain person in a mean tone of voice or you always tease them and you say bad things to them or about them, this is a bad habit. Everyone should know the saying “if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say it.” hold it in. Breath and think about something else, these are some steps you could take to stop this bad habit. (if this is a bad habit you have.)
    I did this example up above in my first paragraph because i know sometimes some of us have this bad habit (including me) where we talk bad about a certain person or we talk in a mean tone of voice or say words that hurt others feelings. I just wanted to share that i think this is something some of us need to work on(again still including me). I also need to work on this habit, could everyone continue to please help me if you hear or see me doing this, i know this is a bad habit of mine and i really want to fix it.

8. Cierra 5B says:

This poem talks about how are habbits have their way on us because they can be our heaviest bruden or our heaviest accomplishment because some of them have their faults and some of them have their achivements too. The proof of this is that in line two and three it says: “I am your greatest asset or your heaviest burden. I will push you up to sucsess or down to dissapointment”. Also, I think this means that you’ll have a time for mistakes an da time for you to shine bright like how the olelo no’eau says ” O Ke Ia Ka Manawa”, this is the time. This is your time to prove your self to the world that you can sucseed at some things and that you will have a hard time with htings others don’t with because your different and thats what makes you special because when your different, well….. thats what makes you unique in a way! 😉

This poem connects to our class because when we work in group projects, we will bring fault to the team becasue were not perfect, but when you make that mistake, you have to make sure that when you made it, it was an acident and make sure you where working really hard to try and sucseed before it and not just put only a little effort into it. You need to always put 100% into it everytime because if you don’t, it is like failing your ohana because you couldn’t do one little thing. Wouldn’t it suck to be that person, because I know how it feels and it feels like you are guilty of doing somehting really wrong. So let me ask you this: “Do you always put in 100% effort into teamwork”? I do not some times but some times I do. Also, another way it connects to this team is that one failure can bring us all down because we are counting on you to do a good job and not bring us down. One olelo no’eau that connects to our team and this poem combined is the one that says “One mistake doesn’t affect one person, but he WHOLE ohana”. This ties in because were in on this together and I’m counting on you and myself to do a GREAT job at making a difference in this world because on tsmall thing can make a huge difference as Mrs. Ah Hee says. I think I should really start following that because mabey I can leave my mark in this world permanent!!! 😀

!!! IMUA KAMEHAMEHA E !!!
    😀

9. Cailey 5B says:

I think that this poem means that everyone has their own habit, that somehow always happens in everything that the person does. This habit can be a good habit, or a bad habit. The habit could lead you to the path of success, or to the path to failure. This all depends on what the habit is. For example, some people/students have the habit of doing their work/homework, once they get home, before doing any other extra activities. Or there are some students who have the habit of waiting until the last minute to complete their homework, and the work is not thoughtful, and neat. Both theses habits lead you to success, or failure.
    In our 5B FISH class, I think that we have many good habits, and also some bad habits. Ive noticed that one of our good habits have been students emerging as leaders and helping others learn to be leaders too. These students constantly does this to help the class, which makes it a good habit. We also have some bad habits, where we all talk too much, and dont get the school work done neat and properly, or even done at all. We should all help each other with both our good habits, and bad habits, and emerge as alaka’i.

10. Aysha-Lynn5b says:

The poem is saying that a habit is always there with you, you can never just shake it off and say “Leave Me Alone!” to it, but sometimes it might not make a big impact on you and what you do. Habits can always effect decisions no matter if its good or bad. Habits are easy to manage, we just give in to it and let it guide us to our consequence. When the poem says “I am at your command” it means to me that you can control the habit. The poem says “I will push you up to success of down to disappointment” means that a good habit can help you, but a bad habit can destroy all what you have accomplished.

The poem connects to our class because in our class it’s a habit that we talk a lot especially when others are talking. In our class we have many habits and most of the time we let it take control of us, instead of us controlling it. Our habits always got the best of us in our class I think that the line “Those who are failures I have made failures” connects because we give in to our habits.

11. Keawe 5B says:

I think the meaning of this poem is habits can make you the greatest basketball player ever, but it also can make you the worst. I think this because when you have a bad habit you will fail, but if you have many good habits you will succeed. In the poem it said “I am your greatest asset or your heaviest burden”. This means that if you have a good habit it can be the greatest thing about you, but if you have a bad habit it will hold you down from your potential. To me when I play sports if want to get rid of all the bad habits and turn it into good habits.
    I can connect to this poem because I have a habit of following my friends in the bad direction. This has affected me a lot. I can improve by turning that bad habit into a good one by being courageous and leading my friends into the right path. Just like the poem said “I am your greatest asset or your heaviest burden. To follow others in the wrong direction is my biggest burden because my biggest problem in school is getting in trouble. I will turn that into a good habit so, that I can succeed in being a better person and continuing on getting good grades. When I do this people see the Keawe that is good not the Keawe they have been seeing lately. I need to change and I will!

• Keawe 5B says:

Mrs. Ah Hee I made my post two pargraphs, but I don’t now why it came out as one paragraph. The second paragraph starts we I say “I can connect to this poem because”. Sorry.

12. Tatum says:

I think that this poem talks about how everybody has their habits good or bad. And that can reflect on how they act and what they do or treat others. Habits can cause good cosoquinces or bad ones depending on what type of habit it is.some examples are if people get into the habit of lying they will not stop or if someone gets into the habit of smoking or doing drugs then they will not stop because it is so addicting.
    I think that some of our habits in the 5b fish class is good and bad. I’ve noticed recently we and me to have not been choosing the right decision or choosing the right path, we have been choosing the wrong ones. But I will try my best to improve. I also have been noticing good habits in our class. Like how some people have been a team contributor and tried to help our team move forward.

13. Tabitha5B says:

In my opinion, I think this poem is explaining that there are positive habits and negative habits. The habits you have really influence the way you treat others. If you have good habits, it will “push you up to success.” Good habits will influence your life in a positive and enjoyable way. They will help you go places in your lifetime, unlike bad ones. Bad habits can be your “heaviest burden” and have a negative effect on your life. I do have good habits and bad ones too. If I work hard I know I can get rid of those bad habits!

This poem can connect to our class because some of us have good habits and bad ones. The people who have good habits really make our class a team! I’ve been seeing some people that really stand out in the class because of their good choices. The poem said “those who are great, I have made great,” which is what good habits do to pono people. The disappointing thing is that there are also some people that stand out in a negative way. Those people are stopping us from getting the Papa Alaka`i title. I’m disappointed that recently there has been some bad choices in our fishbowl. Those actions may become bad habits if the rest of our team doesn’t stop them. What are you going to do to make a difference in our team? I’m going to continue to remind others if they are making bad choices so that those actions don’t turn into negative habits!

14. chris 5b says:

I think this poem means that a habbit is a good thing if you make that habbit a good thing like making your homework turned in on time. But if you mke that habbit a bad habbit or a really terrible one it will be a terrible habbit and it will stay until you fix it like a habbit of following other people and just following others actions that question you if you should follow that action that somebody did or not follow if you question yourself then just don’t do it.

Habbits connect to our class in two different ways the two different ways that habbits connect to our class. The first way that habbits connect to our class is the negative habbits One fo the negative habbits the class has is that we all want to talk some how some way even on paper. That is one of the negative habbits that our class has just like the poem says this can be easily managed just be firm and actually trie to fix this problem. The other way that habbits connect to our class is in positive ways one of the positive ways that habbits connect to our class is that we all talk to each other in positive ways through out this year but we haven’t talked positive to each other positiveley all year long we talk a bit negative to each other but everyone talked to each other positive one way or another just like the poem says that a habbit can be our greatest asset in our team or it can be our greatest burdenn in this case it is our greates sset to becoming succsesful and becoming alaka’i.

15. Ethan5B says:

I think this poem means that habits can affect you in a good way or it can affect you in a bad way. My proof is the sentence “Those who are great I have made great, I , made great, those who are failures I have made failures “,which means that a habit can make you successful in life or they can also put you down in life. I think that we can always change a bad habit.
    Our class (Including me) have bad habits of knowing when to talk and when not too. I think I am trying my best to stop talking and to tell others when to stop talking. I think we can change this by reminding other people when it is the right time to talk and when it is the wrong time to talk. I really want to reach the papa alakai title because then we know we are real fish phlosiphers.

16. Kyra 5B says:

This poem means that some habits can affect you in a bad way and some habits affect you in a good way. Habits are your “constant companions,” but perhaps you can tweak the bad habits into good habits. You control your habits. They are your slaves as said in the poem. If you bite your nails, you are eating germs and that is a bad habit. If you clean your nails, you are staying healthy and that is a good habit. A habit is like an engine in an airplane. The engine helps the airplane run. Sometimes the engine explodes and down goes the airplane with it, although the engine will also help the airplane complete its voyage safely. Our class has a bunch of talkers, including me sometimes, and I know we shall all strive to help these people. As they will help us as well.
    Our class is a very good class with potential, but we seriously have to try to choose better decisions for ourselves. If one of our habits is to make trouble all the time, that will keep us from earning our alaka’i title. If we work together, we can unite as true fish philosophers. We should let our truly beautiful gold hearted habits shine through. We all have them. I know it! Habits are “machines.” Let’s put our well working machines to work!

17. Paige5B says:

I think this poem means if you have a bad habit its up to you to change this or your habit to a good habit and take control over this habit. When this poem says “I am easily managed; just be firm with me” I think this means if you try your best and try to stop this bad habit, you can do it. Just be firm with your self, and set goals that you promise to yourself you will achieve. For example bullying. A specific example would be if you always talk to a certain person in a mean tone of voice or you always tease them and you say bad things to them or about them, this is a bad habit. Sometime some of us use mean tones of voice and sometimes it hurts others feelings. Everyone should know the saying “if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say it.” hold it in. Breath and think about something else, these are some steps you could take to stop this bad habit. (if this is a bad habit you have.) To me I think having a bad once in a while isn’t bad but sometimes we have to change our habits.
    I did this example up above in my first paragraph because I know sometimes some of us have this bad habit (including me) where we talk bad about a certain person or we talk in a mean tone of voice or say words that hurt others feelings. I just wanted to share that I think this is something some of us need to work on( including me). I also need to work on this habit, could everyone continue to please help me if you hear or see me doing this, I know this is a bad habit of mine and i really want to fix it.

18. DJ 5B says:

I think this poem means that good habits are the best though the bad habits are the ones we should look out for. Good habits will make us successful in life if we choose to make the right choice. The evidence for this is from the part when it said “I will push you up to success or down to disappointment.” Another evidence for this is when it says, “Those who are great, I have made great. Those who are failures, I have made failures.” The last evidence is when it says “Show me how it’s done. Educate me. Train me. Lead me. Reward me. And I will then…do it automatically.” These quotes from the text show that good habits will make a person better and be able to succeed in life.
    I think one good habit in class is when everybody does their work and stays focused. On the negative side, what people have been doing a lot is talking when they are supposed to be doing work and that hurt that person’s grade a lot since we are doing our Hilo project. Another example of a good habit in class is when students strive to meet their reading goal for the trimester. On the other hand, some students don’t strive to finish their books. One good habit I have I am nice to my friends and classmates. One bad habit that I am working on is talking too much when I am supposed to be doing work. I will strive to change this habit so that I can be a better student and succeed in life.

19. Paige5B says:

This poem was about having a bad habit. Once in a while it is ok to have a bad habit.When this poem says “I am easily managed; just be firm with me” I think this means if you try your best and try to stop this bad habit, you can do it. Just be firm with your self, and set goals that you promise to yourself you will achieve. For example bullying. A specific example would be if you always talk to a certain person in a mean tone of voice or you always tease them and you say bad things to them or about them, this is a bad habit. Sometime some of us use mean tones of voice and sometimes it hurts others feelings. Everyone should know the saying “if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say it.” hold it in. Breath and think about something else, these are some steps you could take to stop this bad habit. (if this is a bad habit you have.) To me I think having a bad once in a while isn’t bad but sometimes we have to change our habits.

20. malia5B says:

I think this poem means that everyone has bad habits and if you are not aware of your bad habits and try to change, it can lead you to failure. In the poem it said, “Those who are great I have made great, those who are failures I had made failures.” For example, this means that if you have a bad habit such as procrastinating and not doing your work, you can fail at school or even at a job. The poem says, “I am manageable, just be firm with me.” This means that habits can be changed. You just have to choose the right attitude and be firm with yourself to change.

Our class connects to this because a lot of us choose poorly and do monkey see monkey do (including me). We may have a bad habit like talking outloud in class. We know it’s wrong, but we still do it. Let’s be firm with ourselves and others to change. If you see me doing something I’m not supposed to do, please remind me.

21. Cierra 5B says:

My IXL isn’t letting me log in, can you check if any thing is wrong since you check everyones IXL! 🙂