Ka ‘Ohana O Kalaupapa

April 12th, 2011 by tinakamo

The fifth graders put on a wonderful and very educational performance today!  What did you learn about Kalaupapa?  About Hansen’s disease?  About how disease affects the world?  Why do you think it’s important to know these things?

Posted in General Discussion, Social Studies | 35 Comments »

35 Responses

1. ANDEE Says:

I think the big idea is to not seperate family’s.Why don’t they have medisins for those people’s? I think we need to know these thing’s because we don’t want anther persion to catch the illniss someone has.

2. Sarah Says:

What I learned is that when you get hansen deiases you can not fell nothing. Another thing I learned is that Ko’oLau and pI’ILani they both are people. Deiseses afeckt the world by spreading. It is important to know these things so that if you keetch a deises you won’t spread your deises.

3. Taylor Says:

I learned that the people with handson daseas are called names because of the deasese wich changes peoples identity because people never will know the real. you like how you never juge a book by the cover.

4. shayni Says:

I learned that fleas was causing leprosy not the rats. It was not fair to the people that had leprosy. There family members could not go with the people that had leprosy. If you had leprosy and touched someone else that is how you can affect the world. I think it is important to know all these thing because we need to think how we can prevent the disease.

5. Kana'i Says:

I learn that when you get hansen’s disease it is contagious. If there were no medicine for hansean disease it could go all around the world.I think it is important to know this because if someone had it and you did not know it then you mite catch it to. if that were me I wold not like it just like the people who have the disease they don’t like it.

6. Kuha'o Says:

I learned that in Moloka’i long time ago had a disease called leaporcy and people got seprarated from there family and got sent to Kalaupapa and they didn’t have medication like how we have now and when the people who had leporcy was called lepor. I think the iportant thing about calling other people not the real name but the people who call the people that have lepor the do not know what they are feeling inside there heart. What if somebody called you a name but it wasn’t your name

7. Storm Says:

I learned that the fleas are the ones who spread the plague not the rats. I learned that if you get hansons disease you get seperated from your `ohana. I learned that Kalaupapa has very high cliffs and and strong trade winds. It is important because, just in case you get it you know the symptoms and what to do.

8. Pono Says:

I learned that Kalaupapa was actually was a nice place, had strong trade winds, and that it has giant cliffs, and when the law passed that they had to stay at Kalaupapa, lots of people chose to stay at Kalaupapa because it was their home. I learned that when you have Hansenʻs Disease you canʻt feel pain and that you mite have it for 3-15 years before you know that you have the disease. I think that disease especially effected Hawaiʻi because people were being sent to Kalaupapa if they had leprosy or Handsenʻs Disease. I also think disease changed the world by killing people, separating people, and causing lots of sorrow. I think itʻs important to know these things because you would never want leprosy and you mite know if you have it if you read this comment and I think itʻs important learn about local history.

9. Trey Says:

I learned that Kalaupapa was a special place for people who had Hansen’s disease. I also learned that you are not supposed to call Hansen’s disease leprosy. I also learned that this man in the play didn’t follow the law and he died because he had Hansen’s disease. I also learned that some people hid the people who had Hansen’s disease so that they wouldn’t have to go to Kalaupapa. I think it’s important to know about Hansen’s disease so that other people will not get it. I also learned that the man in the plays son had Hansen’s disease also.

10. Kainani Says:

I learned that Kalaupapa was the place where the people with leprosy had to go. Hansen’s disease started in the 1700’s. Diseases effect the world ’cause, well, some diseases can be contagious (Not every disease can be contagious). I think this is important to know ’cause just in case it happens to you (Or me! ;)) you’ll have some information. One of the funny parts in the play was when the leprosy inspector was checking the class, he missed a girl, who looked at him, put her hands down, and shrugged. She didn’t have leprosy, anyway. The girl’s name is Brianne.

11. Austin Says:

I learned that people with diseses don’t like being called by thier diseses thats why now we say like that boy has lepordse.I also think that it was not right to seperate the people who had lepordse from their familys.They should have the choice to go with their family.

12. Cade Says:

I learned about Kalaupapa that families got seperated from their `ohana because of Hansens disease. I learned that when you have Hansens disease you can’t feel certain parts of your body. Hansens desease affected the world because it spread to many people and flies because when the flies bite you and then bites another person then that person has the same disease as the other person unless the other person dosen’t have the desease. I think that it is important to know these things so that you can stay away from people that have it.

13. Joshua Says:

Kalaupapa was a jail for people with leprosy. The hansen’s disease is a contagious skin condition. It affects the world because it spreads. This is important because if you get it you know what it does to you.

14. Jolie Says:

What did you learn about Kalaupapa?  About Hansen’s disease?  About how disease affects the world?  Why do you think it’s important to know these things?

Kalaupapa is on Molokai. When people first started going to Kalaupapa it was called a prison but after there were more people it became a community and there were games and people had fun. They would have celebrations.

Hansen’s disease is a disease that parts of your body come off. Hansen’s disease is contagious. If someone who has Hansen’s disease travels they can spread it to other people wherever they go. I learned that people that had Hansen disease had to be separated from their family so the people’s family wouldn’t get it.

It is important to know these things because Kalaupapa is a special place and I can share what I learned and about Hawaiian history.

15. Aidan Says:

I leaned if you get hansen’s disease it can spred to other people and kills people in the world.hansen’s disease can affect your nerve from making you not feel pain, hotness and lots of other stuff.I think it’s important to know these things because if you caught the disease at least you will have knowledge about it.

16. Kamuela Says:

I learned that Kalaupapa is a place on Moloka’i for people that have Hansen’s disease to go to. I also learned that the guy named Ko’olau fought to be with his wife. I learned that Hansen’s disease spreads by fleas not rats. I think that we should know about these things cause then we could learn more and so we could learn about Hansen’s disease so we could find cures fr it and so we could protect our self’s from it like dengue fever.

17. TREVOR Says:

lepersy means hannsans deisies the people who had lepersy had to go to a montain name kalaupapa and they had to leave there family. i don’t want lepersy, because i can not be by my family.

18. Isha Says:

I learend that leperse is contagouise and the leporse is in molakaii and its in a small area.I herd from my uncle that he saw leperse and I saw to because my uncels friend has leporse and I saw him when I went hawking with my uncle.He had bumps and my uncle told me that was leperse.MY uncle went to molakaii with uncle rob and they went to park the plane at the airport at molakaii the airport was by the leperse shelter.

19. Trey Says:

I agree with Pono’s comments on how Hansen’s disease caused lots of heartache and sorrow. People that had Hansen’s disease were forced to leave their homes and loved ones to live on Kalaupapa. I also learned that a girl who had Hansen’s disease, her mom went to Kalaupapa to live and take care of her daughter. Even though her mom did not have the disease, she risked her life to be with her daughter. I know that if I had the disease, my mom would sacrifice herself to live with me and take care of me.

20. Kuha'o Says:

How Disease Affects The World:
    The plagues were on the fleas and the fleas flied on the people and then the people were starting to be called lepor because they had leporcy and so when the plagues were on the fleas and flied on the other people they would catch it.

21. Pono Says:

I didnʻt think of that Cade, I didnʻt think hard enough to think of to stay away from people that have leprosy even though there were so many clues in the play, thanks for the info!

22. Kainani Says:

I also learned that Kalaupapa had lots of trade winds. Before the new law, the people with leprosy got to take their family with them to Kalaupapa. Then, the law changed. people weren’t allowed to take their family along. Maybe families died from being with people with leprosy. A man named Ko’olau fought to go with his wife, Pi’ilani. I think this important to know ’cause if you see someone with leprosy, don’t go over and tease him/her. Instead, think about how life would be like if you had leprosy.

23. Cade Says:

Joshua, you are right, it is good to know if you have Hansen disease and what medicine you need.

24. shayni Says:

I learned that Kalupapa had a School. The students got there hands checked from a guy if there hands have germs. Hansen disease is leprosy leprosy is bacteria. If you have Hansen disease you will have it for three to fifteen years.

25. Joshua Says:

I want to add to my blog I am going to say that Kalaupapa became some of the leprosy peoples home when the law changed.

26. TREVOR Says:

THANKS AIDAN i almostt forgot about when you get hansen deisies you do not feel anything.

27. Storm Says:

I learned that there was a man named Ko`olau and a woman named Pi`ilani they faught because his wife couldn’t go with him to kalaupapa because Pi`ilani din’t have hansons disease and Ko`olau did. They hid in a cave until one day when they were walking somewhere and Ko`olau died,Pi`ilani was so sad.

28. Sarah Says:

Pono you did a aswome job and every thing you rote was cerect and I agree on every thing thanks Pono you did a aswome job.

29. Jolie Says:

Kuha’o I agree with you. People shouldn’t call people names especially when they have a problem. We should think before we say something.

Pi’ilani must have been very sad because Ko’olau had the disease and he died. She must have been really, really sad because she had to burry him herself. He didn’t even have a funeral. She had to leave him because the president of IDEA’s workers were looking for her to get her to find Ko’olau – dead or alive. They didn’t know he already died. When they figured out he was dead, Pi’ilani was crying a lot and the workers stopped looking for him and they were sorry.

30. Aidan Says:

Oh ya thanks Austin I almost forgot that they don’t like getting called by there diseases.

31. Isha Says:

I want to add on our blog that jeseuse was the person who healed leporse in the old days.and I wonder how many people have leporse

32. Kamuela Says:

oh! right I forgot to say that if you have Hansen’s disease you don’t feel a thing not even a hard pinch.

33. Kana'i Says:

Thanks Pono for reminding me that some people stayed that had leprosy at Moloka’i because they wanted it to be their home. Some people hid their daughters or sons because they had leprosy. Whoever has leprosy goes to Moloka’i because it was against the law now its not because we have the medicine for it.

34. Austin Says:

Oh yeah thank you Kamuela I almost forgot that Danga Fever was caused by mosquito.

35. Taylor Says:

On kawa’i there is a place called kaloupapa people are sent there if they have leaporsy but some people would hide there family meambers because they probuly be sad to have to give up a family meamber beacuse you would miss your famliy members so so much I know that I would miss my mom,dad and Kylie or any other one of my family members. Hansons deases changes peoples identity and people dont like it.