Let’s Go Fi…(shh…) holoholo!

March 9th, 2011 by tinakamo

What a wonderful fishing adventure with Uncle Scotty and Kewalo Keiki Fishing Conservancy!  Tell us about your experience.  What surprised you?  What did you learn?  Please provide lots of details.

Posted in General Discussion, Science, Social Studies, ‘Ohana | 35 Comments »

35 Responses

1. Pono Says:

Yesterday we went fishing at kkfc. I caught an Aha. Uncle Scotty caught two cuttle fish, they changed color, and Aidan said that he got inked. I was surprised that some people have never gone fishing before, and that lots of people didn’t know how to cast. We mostly caught Aha and Hinalea. We got to tag a Lai. It was burning hot. Uncle Scotty tried to catch the giant Aha but it kept mocking him by swimming by the bait and not eating it. Trevor caught an Aha but died because it swallowed the hook. The puhi will find it. IT WAS FUN! <

2. Taylor Says:

Today we had so much fun fishing that I caught 1 fish. it was not big but it was shrong. the fish almost pulled me into the water! We also saw an eel. he was so big! Pono tryed to cach it. I also got to tuch a flownder’s eyes they were slimey and smushey The flownder is kind of werd they have tiny legs. I also leaned that we had not so good tide when we were there.

3. Trey Says:

Today are class went fishing at Kewalo Keiki Fishing Conservancy and I chought two Stick fish and two crabs but one of the crabs died and the other one fell back in the water. And I saw a big crab with red legs and red arms. And are hole class saw a flonder. And I learned that you have to make your hand into a gun to be able to cast. And what suprised me was that Kuhao cougaht a Flonder and kani cought a Humu humu nuku nuku apoawa.

4. Kainani Says:

Awesome! We went to the Kewalo Keiki Fishing Conservancy! It was so exiting ’cause (almost) everyone caught a fish! I couldn’t belive I caught 2 fish in 2 hours! I predicted only 0. The fishes I caught were Anglefish! It was REALLY hard. Tip: Fishing takes practice and patience. You can’t tug if the fish dosen’t tug. Don’t tug while the fish is nibbling, either. I learned that from experience. We saw 2 baby squid, a (I think) preagnant stickfish, and a puhi! (“Puhi” means eel). Somebody caught a flounder! I also saw a stingray!

5. shayni Says:

At the field trip I used a real fishing pole and a bamboo fishing pole.I used the real fishing pole on the left and there was a little bit of fish.When I used the bamboo fishing pole I used it on the right and there was a lot of fish .I caught 1 fish with the bamboo fishing pole.I also learned how to cast.When I casted I caught a big crab and the crab was trying to break free but I had to pull really really hard but it got stuck.Then Mr.Maeda got it out then Mrs.nakamoto took a picture with me and the big crab.When I used the real fishing and the bamboo fishing pole I had to be really patient so I can get fish!On the field trip my mommy went with me on the field trip! IT WAS REALLY FUN!

6. jireh Says:

The field trip was good because when you get a fish you fell so good because you got something. Jolie’s fish was big, fast. Uncle scoty said that if you got a stick fish it can snap your line off because it has a sharp mouth. the stick fish has scales so it is shiny in the day. thank you A.T.P. we had a great time. and thank you for paying for us to go fishing. A.T.P. we know that you pay alot of money so we can go fishing.

7. kuhao Says:

Today our class went fishing at KKFC and I caught two fish one was a Aha and I don’t know what the other fish is called. I took a picture with a Flounder but I didn’t catch it.I got hooked by a hook and it was bleeding after I got hooked I took a little break and drank water. I learned how to cast. When I caught a Aha someone had to hold the mouth because it is sharp. Taylor and Trevor caught a Hinalea. Jolie caught a La’i and we had to tag it and then release it back to the water.

8. TREVOR Says:

The field trip was good because almost every body cought fish some fish that we cought was the Humuhumunukunukuapua’a that KANAI caught and Storm caught a lizard fish and people caught a flonder and a weke and a la’i and some people caught a Angel fish and some of us caught crab and somebody just caught the crabs leg. the stick fish was caught for the bate i caught a stick fish and a henalea the henalea was colorful it was red green and blue and yellow. the lai that jolie caught had sharp fins if you touch the fin it will feel it it will feel like a red ant biteing you but fiv times harder then we tag the lai jolie tag the lai because jolie caught the lai then uncle scoty throw the lai back in to the water .i wonder how the lai was sill alive when jolie stapled a hole into the lai and tnhe we went on the bus to go to our school kamehameha campus.

9. Isha Says:

Fishing was so fun!We got to catch fish and I caught a needel stick fish and a crab.My favorit part was getting to do the bamboo stick. My worse part was getting a hook stuck in my finger.I got to see a flat fish for the first time in my life.I was suprise that Kanai caught a humuhumu nukunuku apuaa.I was so happy that I got to catch a fishI had a hard time catching a crab.when I was about to catch anothere crab the crab stole my bate and I was not able to catch the crab.I notice that the crab that I caught was a female because it has eggs at the bottom it was black eggs in its pouch

10. Kana'i Says:

Today we went fishing! It was fun and hard.the fun part is we got to lern new thing’s about the fish we cought!The hard part is when the fish are fighting you. the hardis fish I cought was the humuhumunukunukuapuwa!

11. cade Says:

I went on a field trip to KKFC. It is a fishing place, kids only can fish. Uncle Scotty was letting us touch the fish. I also learned how to cast. It was a awesome day.

12. Kamuela Says:

When we went fishing at Kewalo Keiki Fishing Conservancy I caught a Aha! and when I got to hold it for a picture I experienced that it felt like a worm trying to slip out of my hands.It surprised me that Kuhao caught a flounder fish cause I never seen a Flounder fish in real life before.I learned that you could catch a crab with a fishing pole cause the crab would grab the bate and hold on to the hook just like the fish do.

13. Sarah Says:

I experienced that my fishs eye ball was very smoshey. I got suprised when the bate had to be fish and bread. I wonder why the fish eat fish and bread?I caught a fish that was fat and thin.I learned from Isha and Shayni that you don’t just keach fish on a fishing pole you can also keach crabs.Cade caught a Angel fish and his fish was bleeding because Cades fish swallowed his hook.

14. Austin Says:

I liked fishing because there was a lot of neat fish at the pond.My fish that I caught was the weke. the Weke that I caught had a beard just like a goat. I almost caught another fish but it broke my line and my hook right off of my pole.The bamboo pole was the easiest to do because when you feel a bite pull up the pole the waiting and realing was ok and the Casting was the hardest to do.

15. Joshua Says:

Today we went to Kewalo keiki fishing conservancy! I caught one fish. Some people caught stick fish! Some people caught crabs. me and my dad caught a crab but then the crab got off the hook and jumped off the leage and into the water and on our hook there was a crab legs. And Austin caught a veke I think it was 8 inches long. And some people said there was a big eel wher they were fishing! And there was a big stick fish that was about 1ft long I am guessing. Then uncle Scotty taught us how to tag and release. The one that Jolie caught is the one that got taged the fish was a flat fish also it had thease spikes on the top and bottom. And there wher thease two squids in the contaner and they can change color.

16. Jolie Says:

Today when my class and I went fishing at Kewalo Keiki Fishing Conservancy. I caught La’i it was very long.The La’i was silver and white On the top,side,and bottom of the La’i was spikey. uncle Scotty said that the spikes were more sore than a fire ant bite.

17. Joshua Says:

I am adding to my other post. The thing that surprised me is that big stick fish. I learned how to tag fish.

18. shayni Says:

I learned that the stick fish or a other fish had stingers.I was suprised because I learned a lot of things about the fish that people caught.

19. Kana'i Says:

I was suprised I caught two fish because I was worried that I wasn’t going to catch any fish. I learned that when you go fishing safety comes first because you can get hooked or fall in the water.

20. ANDEE Says:

Today we went to go holo holo I caught a Aha when I casted. then it jumped off my hook uncle Sean treid to get it but it jumped into the water then I treid to cach a crab but then the crab jumped off of my hook. We went to Kewalo Keiki Fishing conservancy we caught two squid’s. We saw a big Aha.When I saw the big Aha I said WOW!

21. Kana'i Says:

pono,or you can put the Aha on the hook and the puhi will eat it then you cought a puhi!

22. Isha Says:

Kanai, what part was hard like how was it hard to catch the humuhumunukunukapuaa.

23. Kahiehie Says:

I had fun at the fishing trip.I caught a fish that I dont know:( And also we went to kewalo keiki fishing conservery and we did caught fish like:Humuhumunukuapuaa,stick fish,lai,and angel fish.I liked the angel fish.I wished that I caught a angel fish because its pretty.I liked the colors. they look butayful.Ill tell you what the colors are on the angel fish. it is yellow,white,and black.And the colors.and a humuhumu nukunukuapuaa.Thats a long fish name.And a stick fish.Watch out it might bite you.And a lai it got spikey fins.Even I like all of them.I wish I could go to the kewalo keiki fishing conservery.And theres no audults fhishing.Aunty candi helped.Uncle scotty helped.Joshuas dad helped.And Uncle scottty caught a squid and it inked.

24. Taylor Says:

I was surprised when uncle Scotty said that we were fishing at a not so good tide and I was also surprised how many stick fish we caught. I leaned when you tag a fish you do not hurt them I got scared when uncle Scotty taged the fish that Jolie caught because I thought he would die.

25. Kana'i Says:

PONO,or you can put the aha on the hook and the puhi will eat the aha and you cought the puhi!

26. cade Says:

The field trip that I went on was my 3rd time fishing. I was surprised when I saw a giant eel It was so awesome.

27. shayni Says:

I learned a flounder fish looks like a pancake.I learned that there is spikes or stingers on a stick fish.A angel fish is black and yellow.

28. trevor Says:

I WAS SURPRISED when kainani’s mom told me this is the time that you were going to cacth a fish and i did catch a fish! it was a henalea and i saw a really big eil and i wanted to cacth the big eil. i learned how to cast 1st you pull the string up then you flip the ring then you throw it in the water then you flip the ring back.

29. Austin Says:

I was surprised that we caught so many fish.I learned how to tag a fish.My experience was so fun.

30. ANDEE Says:

Kana’i, why did you think that you would not cech a fish. I learned that it takes patience in fishing.

31. Kamuela Says:

Trey did you catch the crab with the regular pole or the bamboo pole?

32. Storm Says:

I was surprised that we saw like a one foot eel and stick! fish I learned that there`s a family of fish called the jack fish family. I liked going fishing I caught a lizard fish. It had sharp teeth. when I took a picture with it I was scared when I took a picture with it I was scared it would bite me.

33. jolie Says:

I thought you caught the flounder Kuhao.
    I learned how to tag a fish (I taged the La’i (:)

34. aidan Says:

Wow! I was surprised that Kana’i caught a Humuhumunukunukuapua’a. I had a great experience on the fishing trip because I saw lots of fish i never saw be for.I learned to be pation for the fish to tug.

35. Jolie Says:

Kana’i how did you catch a Humunukuapua’a ?