Plantation Life

January 24th, 2011 by tinakamo

Today we toured Hawai’i’s Plantation Village in Waipahu and learned about life on the sugar plantations in Hawai’i over a hundred years ago.  We learned about people who came from China, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Japan, Okinawa, Korea and the Philippines.  Each group brought their own customs and traditions, yet they learned to live and work together.  What were some of the things they had in common?  What did you learn about plantation life?  What surprised you?  What do you wonder about?

Posted in General Discussion, Social Studies | 27 Comments »

27 Responses

1. Taylor Says:

Today we was a great day we got to see models of houses that the people in the plantatin lived. In the houses where real things like the ice box use to have ice in it. I figerd out that I have family that came from japan to work in the plantations. We learned that the hawiian people where the first people to work in the plantations the hawiian people started to die from diseses like chicken pox.

2. Isha Says:

I learnd that the hawaiians was the first nes to work for the plantation. the hawaiians got deseises so they were dieing from the dieses because there body was nto strong enought to fight the backterea.I also learnd that the koreans food that they eat is kimchi I like kimchi. I also learnd that the chines paint ther house red mostly because it is good luck.I learnd that the filipinos had telephones I think there rich because they have telephones/ my wonders:I wonder if the filipinose were the first ones to haave telephones?.My favorit things that I like about porcheges: I like porcheges sasuge egg and rice at mc danodas 🙂 if the porteges did not make up the porchegess sasuge I wuold be sad and if I know what porchege sasuge was .sad face:(

3. TREVOR Says:

The Okinawan raised pigs and soled there legs and the pig tails. The chinnese slept on wooden beds and had curtins so maskitos could not come in and had bamboo pillows and wooden pillows. the hawiians were the first people on tghe plantation.

4. Cade Says:

I wonder how you get all the sugar out of the sugar cane. It surprised me when I found out that the workers got paid 3 dollers a month. I learned that the workers worked very very very hard. The chines painted thir house red for good luck and slept on a wooden bed and had a wooden pillow. It must of felt uncomfortable.

5. Kuha'o Says:

Today we went on a field trip to the home plantation village.I learned that the Hawaiians was the first people at the plantation.My favorite places was filipino and korean. I learned that the korean people make kimchee and rice outside the village. They had a nice little sink and a old fashion telephone in the village. They had a game called Sunka. I wonder why the game is called sunka? Do we still have old fashion telephones.

6. Kamuela Says:

I think one of the common things they had were that they all had favorite foods.I learned that they have to go to bed by 8:30 PM and they have to wake up by 5:30 AM.I was surprised that the Japanese people slept on wooden beds.I wonder why they have to go to bed by 8:30 PM and wake up by 5:30 AM.

7. Trey Says:

Today on the 2nd grade field trip to the plantation village in Waipahu. I learned that the Chinese painted their houses almost all red because they thought that the red would bring them good luck. I also learned that the Japanese never sat on chairs and never slept on a bed.I also learned that many of the houses had things in front of their houses to like keep the bad spirts away.

8. Pono Says:

I think that Japan, Okinawa, and China have many things in common like how they don’t sit on chairs is because they are all a part of Asia and they’re kind of close together. I learned that they had to get at 5:30 and go to sleep at 8:30. They only got paid 3.00 a month. They would play with this toy called “Buzzsaw” and if they got 25 they’d get a movie ticket I think. They’d get more Buzzsaws if they challenge eachother and someone cuts the other persons Buzzsaw with his/her Buzzsaw’s bottlecap. They’d recieve soda only on Baptism, Bon Dance, and I think New Years? I was surprised that they could only bring one bag of lugage for five years. I was also surprised that they sighned contracts saying you’d work for five years. {^_^}

9. Storm Says:

I learned that the Hawaiians were the first ones to work on the plantations(that must be realy hard work and you don`t get paid much you only get three dollars a month! I would not be happy with that at all.) But they started to die from diseases so they went to other places and got more people. I wonder if in China there’s an upstairs to a house because there’s an up stairs on the model. I think what they have in common is that I think Filipino, Portuguese and Porta Rican people used lace for their curtain. And some of them have the chamber pot to use the toilet when its past 8:30 p.m. and the lights are out so when they have to use the toilet at night they just use that. What surprised me was that only in the more modern times they had electricity.

10. Jolie Says:

One thing they had in common is they came to Hawaii to work in the Plantations.

Plantation life was hard work. The workers worked hard in the sugarcane fields. They had to carry heavy wood and make wood houses to live in. They had to have lights out at 8:30. That’s early! It was hard for their family too. Some families wanted to come to Hawaii together but they couldn’t.

It surprised me when I heard how many people from Japan worked in the plantations. It was interesting that I belong to most of the ethnic groups that worked in the plantation.

I wonder if there will ever be plantations like that again. I wonder why people only got $3 a month for five years.

11. Kainani Says:

I take off my shoes before I enter my house like Japan. I learned that rice was only grown in places with lots of water. It surprised me that Portugal went to the bathroom in the night in a pot! 🙂 I wonder if Portugal still eats a lot of bread?

12. Kainani Says:

I like everybody’s comments. They take what we learned and put it on the blog. In my vision,it’s realistic.

13. shayni Says:

I was suprised that the workers built a village tunnel all the way in the back.I wonder why chines people favorite color is red.the workers built a village tunnel all the way in the back.

14. Austin Says:

Buzzsaws was a toy that they played with for an instrument.You can do the Buzzsaw on your neck.The Korean ate the pig in the old days.The Japanese slept on the floor and ate on the floor.The Okinawan raises the pigs but the Japanese eats the pig.For New Year, Bon Dance and Baptizums they give soda for free.[Only Time]Portugese like roosters and use the bathroom in a pot at night.

15. Sarah Says:

I learned that the Okinawan people loved 🙂 there curtians made out of Lases. Also there beds were made out of Lases and also they liked that to. 🙂 I also leared that they use the curtains for Rice bags. There are also pots for Kimchee and rice.I also Learned that you grow Rice and they grow Kimchee. I also Learned that if one of the groups ( I forgot ) did not go to bed at 8:00 there will be mans coming after you.AHHHHH! 🙁

16. Aidan Says:

I liked that at lunch they shared there food with each other. And when we went there I liked there garden.

17. Kana'i Says:

At the plantation village we learned that the hawaiians were the first group of people to come to the plantation village but they got desieses and most of them died and so they hired other people from other countries and they worked hard to get three dollars in five months.

18. Sarah Says:

One of the groups had in common that they had food and shared.I Learned that the people growed kichee and rice and put it in a pot.I got suprised when I saw a toliet set on wood. I wonder why you plant rice because were dose the rice grow.

19. Taylor Says:

I think all the people that worked on the plantatinons all thought working on the plantations whould make them rich. I wonder why porthages people brout there family’s?

20. Cade Says:

The workers have in common: They all worked very hard,and that maybe they were thinking that they didn’t get enough money.

21. KAHIEHIE Says:

I learned that if you like kimchee it has chillipepper in it.And the lady that said,”boys you got to pay for girls to be your wife”and she was laughing.Buzzaw is a toy that is an instument that is a little hard but keep trying.If you got it good.I was suprised that the plantation village it was awsomes thing ever and the houses were nice.I wounder that why does the portigese doesent have water and doesent have a toilet too.

22. Isha Says:

I think what they had in commen was that they shard thir food and when the man had only rice they shaerd with him.I wonder why did the chines sleep on wooden beds? I was supprise because the japanes showerd in the hot tub I was like in a happy shock 🙂

23. TREVOR Says:

THE PLANTATIONS people that came from porto rico china purtigo japan okinawa portagal korea and the philipenes all came on a boat. they all shared there food. it surprised me that the chinese people slept on wodden beds.i wonder how it feels to wake up at 5:30 and end work at 4:00 and have3 one day off.

24. Trey Says:

Some of the things that these people had in common were they had houses and they all worked on the plantation for five years straight. And they all worked on the plantation so they can have a better life for them and their families.

25. Aidan Says:

i think japanies and okinawin people is kinda in commen because they both had the same beds and okinawen is at the bottom of japan.

26. Austin Says:

Something that they had in common was that they all had to face leaving their home town.It surprised me that you can get a wife through a pen pals situation.

27. Joshua Says:

One thing that they had in common was they all had to leave some of there family members behind and they all had to work for 5 years or more if they wanted to. The workers had to do the plantings got only $3 a month. I learned that all of the field workers lived together in a house based on their nationality. The thing that surprised me was they had to build their own place to stay. I wonder why the owners build the place for the workers to stay?