Equality

January 18th, 2011 by tinakamo

On Friday we learned a little about Martin Luther King, Jr. and his experiences as a child.  What are your thoughts about what we learned?  Have you ever felt like you were treated differently?  Why were you treated differently?  How did that make you feel?  What if you were treated differently for being Hawaiian?  If you were treated differently for any reason, what could you do about it?

Posted in General Discussion, Social Studies | 13 Comments »

13 Responses

1. Taylor Says:

I think that Martin and his siblings thoght that they whoud never be able to be treated farly or like white people. I think that I am being treated differently because I have a bony bottom. So if I whanted to sit on my aunty Lia she whoud ask me to get off that makes me feel jeluse of my sister Kylie. If I was treated differently because I was hawaiian I whoud not feel good about my self and I would have a hard time being confadent. I whoud start posting sighns up that say that we should be able to do this and this and if they do not lisin I willpost comments on wesites and on the internet.

2. Sarah Says:

If I were Hawaiian and other people did not speck my Langue and I was treated unfearly I would get a little mad because like example if people did not understand me and I had to sit in a diffrent spot from them I would not be happy. I will be said if my best freind could not sit by me. =( I could maybe not speak Hawaiian and speak my other langue but if I only speaked Hawaiian I could maybe tech them Hawaiian.

3. Kainani Says:

1. I think that it wasn’t fair that black people were treated differently.
    2. I don’t think I have been treated differently. Lucky me!
    3. I would be sad. When I’m treated differently,I’m embarassed. Like when I’m teased.
    4. I would go up to my parent (Even though I wouldn’t want to) and tell them that it’s not fair that hawaiians can be bossed around. Then probroly my parent would tell the president. Then the president would change the law or not.

4. kuha'o Says:

I thought that it wasn’t fair that black people had to drink water from a different water fountain as white people or go to the same school and in the city bus they had to sit all the way in the back also they couldn’t play with the white people. No I don’t think I am not treated unfairly or differently from other people. I would feel kind of mad because if I had a friend that wasn’t hawaiian I would feel left out and maybe her mom would tell me I couldn’t play with her daughter because I was hawaiian I would feel sad and mad. I would go to the president and say that I am treated unfairly because I am hawaiian.

5. Cade Says:

I think that Martin was getting tesed all the time because the white people thought that the black people was dirty. Once I got tesed a long, long, long time ago. I’m happy that Martin Luther King Jr. was born because if he wasnen’t born than the world would be the same. If people treated Hawaiian diffrently then I would of done marchis like Martin Luther King Jr. did.

6. Isha Says:

1. that he was not treated fairly.HE made the withe peopel and the black peopel treat athere fairly. and he turend the world up side down.
    2.when I felt like mad because my brothers sometimes call me names like he tells me that I cant swim.and thats not even true that I cant swim.
    3.If I was treated deffiently like the engilish peopel get to go to the beach and the hawaiian has to go to the pool. I will feel so not treated fairly.
    4. I could tell the white people that stop being so mean to the black people it’s like the white people get to be the boss and the white people are more popular than the black people. How: I will do a speech like how Martin Luther King Jr. did.

7. shayni Says:

I think martin luther king did the march to make the world change.I think people are treating me like there smarter then me because they say that ther smarter.I think I will be treated diffrently because when I go to mama and papas house I be treated like a babby my papa says that and I be treated like I have to be responsible and I have to watch over my brother chayce and my cousin carly.I can say to my papa stop calling me a baby and im not a babby anymore.

8. joshua Says:

1. It was not fare black people. The white people should of treated the black people farley because we are all the same.
    2. No. I do not feel like I am treated differently.
    3. I would be mad if I was treated differently because we are all the same.
    4. I could try to make it better. I would talk to the person who said that white people are smarter and better than black people. I would talk to that person and say that we are all the same so we should all be treated farely.

9. Pono Says:

I think Martin Luther King Jr. got his idea about how he’s gonna turn the world upside -down because he got separated from his friend just because of their skin color. I don’t feel that I’m being treated differently. If I was treated differently I don’t think I’d stay in Hawai’i and I’d probably feel sad. If I’d been treated differently for any reason I think I’d try to be like Martin Luther King Jr.

10. Trey Says:

I thought that the rules weren’t fair. Because you couldn’t play with your friend that was white. I also thought that it’s not fair that black could not sit next to white people on the bus. And thay couldn’ent drink from the same water founten. I don’t think I’m treated differently. If I were being treated unfairly I would tell them to treat others the way you want to be treated. And I would try to make it fair so Hawaiians can go in to the waterpark with the people who are not Hawaiian. I would talk with the oner. And keep on talking with him until thay make it fair.

11. trevor Says:

Martin luther king JR. said that treat black people fairly like do not teeze the black people and you look dirty. i learned that back days black people coudent go to the same water fountin and had to go to different schools and if they played Baseball black people plya in hte under division and white people played in the older divisions.

I will feel sad if you are Hawaiian adn you are like a black person and other people that do not have Hawaiian are the white people and the white people teeze the Hawaii people like the black people.

I can speak to people about stop treating the Hawaiian people like black.

12. aidan Says:

i think martin luther king jr. didn’t like his life that much because people are treating him un fairly.I think im treated un fairly because some times my friends tease me because I can’t do a certen thing on the monkey bars. If I was treated unfairly I would be mad because people are treating me this weay. I would talk to people about it and make them do it if they don’t I would yell at them.

13. Austin Says:

If I were treated unfairly I would become president and I change the law.I learned that Matin Luther King Jr. couldn’t play with his best friend.If I couldn’t play with my best friend I would be so mad because I don’t like to be told what to do.It made me sort of sad because he couldn’t play with his best friend and maybe he did not have anyone to play with.