Huaka’i to Polynesia

December 6th, 2010 by tinakamo

On Friday we toured the villages of Samoa, Aotearoa and Fiji at the Polynesian Cultural Center. We also took a quick tour through Hawai’i and learned about the voyaging canoe Iosepa. What surprised you? What do you wonder about? Why do you think it was important for us to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center?

Posted in General Discussion, Social Studies | 16 Comments »

16 Responses

1. Sarah Says:

I got suprised when the man said the men has to cook.I wondered what the lady’s do when the men cook? I think it was important because you learn more and you think more.

2. jolie Says:

I think that it was important to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center because the hawaiian islands are in the Polynesian Triangle.I wonder what it is like in Tahiti where our kapuna was from?I was surprised when the samoan man made fire with only two sticks and coconut husk.

3. Kahiehie Says:

I like aoteora, Havaii, samoa and Fiji.Id dont have questins if I was I would tell you.To know what language they speak.

4. Taylor Says:

I think it is inportant for us to go to the polynesen cultral center because our kupuna are from Tahiti and other islands. I was suprsed when the lady said that Fiji has 320 islands.

5. Storm Says:

I thought that it was important for us to go because are school is hawaiian we are hawaiian and it is a part of our culture. I was surprised that Fiji has 320 ilands. I wonder why most of the ilands are small?

6. Kamuela Says:

I was surprised by the boy in BYU that made the Iosepa because it looks really hard for someone to build it. I wonder how long it took him to build it? I think its important to go there because could learn different cultures.

7. Kuha'o Says:

I got suprised when the man said that the men cook. I wonder if the chief force the children to cook? I also wonder in hawaii how wide the iosepa is? I thought it was important to go to PCC to learn diffrent cultures.

8. TREVOR Says:

I like samoa. it suprised me that the man made a fire out of a stick and a coconut husk. it was cool. I wonder how he makes the fire with a stick and a coconut husk? It was important to go to the Polynesian cultural center because it help me learn about what the these differnt places live. Fiji has 320 islands in the small area. Aoetearoa means end of the long white cloud.

9. Pono Says:

Aloha,
    It surprised me when the man said he would make a FIRE. I wonder why the men had to cook that lived in samoa? I think it is important to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center because you can learn about the native, polynesian people, and their history.

10. Trey Says:

I think that the Polynesian Cultural Center is an important place because you can learn about many of the different Polynesian culture. This is important because as Hawaiians, we are all considered Polynesians, and this is also part of our history.

11. Kainani Says:

In Samoa it surprised me how they make fire with coconut husk.I wonder how Fiji got so much islands?I think it was important that we went to PCC ’cause we learned more about our culture.

12. Cade Says:

I think it is important because we can learn more about Polynesin cultures. I wonder how it would be like to play a ban boo in a real song? The best thing was the guy that made milk from the coconut and coconut husk.

13. kana'i Says:

Our way of making a fire today is different from in the old days in Samoa. In Fiji I liked when we were bouncing the bamboo up and down. In Aotearoa I liked the stick game. In the Hawaii section I liked the Iosepa canoe.

14. jireh Says:

In Samoa the man crackt the coucoonut with a rock and he went all the way aroued the cooknat with the rock and the cookanut crackt. In hawi’i I learnd that they use the the sun the stars the sea anamilas the sea birds and the wight clouds to help them to find land

15. Austin Says:

I think it is important to go to the Polynesin Cultral Center so we can learn about ancestors more often.In Hawaii I was surprised that you can get married on a canoe.I wonder if you can make a fire out of different kinds of sticks?

16. Joshua Says:

The thing that suprised me was how he opened the cocounut. I wonder why in the old days if you go threw the wrong door into the cheifs house they would kill you. I think it’s important to go to the polyneisan culture center because it helps us learn about our culture.