Holiday Visit

December 1st, 2010 by tinakamo

Today we heard some wonderful holiday stories at Hale Pelekikena!

In the story about Liko and the Sandman, Liko had few friends and the sandman helped him make new friends.  Do you think friends are important?  Why?  What qualities do you look for in your friends?

In the story about Hala, Mana and Pua, only Pua received Christmas gifts because he was pono.  What does being “pono” mean to you?  How are you pono at home and at school?

Posted in General Discussion, Social Studies, ‘Ohana | 36 Comments »

36 Responses

1. Sarah Says:

I think friends are important beacause you won’t have no one to play with.Why? because if you don’t have a friend then you can’t play with no one. I like friends that are nice and I want them to treat me the way they want to be treated.

2. ANDEE Says:

I think that friends are important because they can share things together and play together.

3. Jolie Says:

I think pono means be nice to other people and treat others the way you want them to treat you.
    I think I use pono while I`m listening,doing my homework,and paying attention.

4. Jireh Says:

I think frends are impotent becaus if your not then you feel aloun and you only have to play by your oun seelf becuase you dont have a frend

5. Austin Says:

I think friends are important because you have someone to be your friend.I think the purpose of haveing a friend is to have someone that you trust and someone to rely on.I think being pono means to make smart choices like doing your homework when you are susposed to.

6. Taylor Says:

Liko’s friend:I think frends are inportant because you wont be alone. At school or anywhare.

hana, Mana and pua:I think that being pono is inpotant because you will not make good disitions.

7. Storm Says:

I think the story of Liko and the sandman reminds me of frosty the snowman. because when Liko put on the hat the sandman came to life I also think… Friends are important because if you had no friends nothing would be fun or you wouldn`t have any one to talk to or play with. I like friends that are nice and that aren`t mean that care for others and treat others how they want to be treated.

8. KAHIEHIE Says:

Pono means being nice to another to another,rightous and lisining.

9. Jireh Says:

Pua only desrvd christmas gifts because he lisind and he cleend his room and I am pono at home I cleen the bathroom and I have to work very hard because then I have to cleen the sink

10. Cade Says:

I think that friends are important because friends keep you company and if you didn’t have any friends then you wouldn’t have anyone to play with.
    I think that Liko didn’t have any friends because Liko didn’t stand out and ask anyone to be her friend. This story reminded my of Frosty the snowman because Liko made a sand friend and put a hat on the sand friend. Then, the sand friend came to life just like Frosty the snowman. Frosty the snowman came to life when someone put a hat on him.

11. Kamuela Says:

I think friends are important because when you get hurt your friend can help you and they could get a parent for you.

I think pono is important because you will do good decisions in class and at home.

12. Kainani Says:

I chose Liko and the Sandman ’cause it was about friends. I think friends are important ’cause you won’t be lonely and you’ll have someone to trust. The qualities I look for in my friends are: smart,funny,kind to me,kind to other students,and likes to hang out with me often.

13. Kuha'o Says:

The story of Liko and the sandman reminds me of frosty the snowman because when Liko put on the hat the sandman came alive. If I was Liko I would tell the sandman to be nice to your friends so they would be nice to you also if you don’t have a friend you would be lonely.

14. Trey Says:

I think friends are important. Because then you have someone to play with.The boy in the last story was being pono because he new that santa was going to give him present. but his brothers did’t no.

15. shayni Says:

I think I got to be more pono in school and at home. I need to fix that. The first story we heard was about not receiving the gift but giving the gift. Then the second story was about making new friends. The third story was about being pono and you will get your gift from santa claus but you need to be pono to do that.

16. Pono Says:

Aloha,
    I think friends are important because at home you can be board, and they mite be able to come over to play. I think friends should be like how you are. I’m pono at home by going to sleep when my mom asks me to. I’m pono at school by listening to whoever is talking.

17. TREVOR Says:

friends are important because if dont have a friend you have no fun or nobody to play with. the qualities i look for in my friends are we like the same things and they are all nice to me.

pono means dothe right thing. i am nice to my friends and at home i clean my room and clean up after dinner.

18. Kyllie - Trevor's mom Says:

I think friends are very important, they make life a lot more fun. Good Friends are people that I can trust, are kind, and makes me laugh. If I did not have friends it would be lonely and it would be very hard to enjoy things that I like.

I think Pono means trying to do the right thing or helping other make the right decisions. I try to be pono everyday by treating other people how I would want to be treated. Helping others to make what they are doing easier. Being a good mom and making sure my children know what right and wrong is…That is pono to me.

19. Isha Says:

I laernd that being pono you can make new friends. I also learnd that you can make new friends by bieng nice to them.

20. Joshua Says:

Friends are important because if you do not have any friends you will be lonely and have no one to play with. Some one to play with to help and to spend time with.

21. Sarah Says:

I think Pono means being kind to others or taking care of him or her. I think I am PONO at school most of the time because I help someone at least 3 times a week.

22. KAHIE Says:

Pua deserved a gift because she was lising to SANTA and nice.

23. Storm Says:

I think having a friend matters because if you had no friends you wouldn`t be fun and if you have no friends you won`t have anyone to help you or spend time with you because if you fall and there`s no one to be there no one could help you but even if you have no one to spend time with you`ll be bored.I think Pua only got a gift because she wasn`t naughty like Mana and Hala because Mana ate dessert before diner and I don`t remamber what Hana did.

24. Taylor Says:

I am pono at school when I make good choices. Like when I help someone up if they fall or trip on stares.

25. Trey Says:

I agree with Sarah that pono means to be kind to others or take care of him or her.

26. Kuha'o Says:

I am pono at home like when I help my brother do his homework and at school I read with my friend .
    I think pono means to me is to do the right thing.

27. Jolie Says:

I think friends are important because you can have someone to play with when your bored. My friends are nice ,kind, and caring.

28. Cade Says:

Pua got the present because she was pono and doing the right thing. Pono means to be nice to one another and to do the right thing. Once I been pono by cleaning up my room.

29. Joshua Says:

To me, Pono means to make the right choices and doing the right thing. I’m pono by doing my work at school and at home and by helping others.

30. TREVOR Says:

I agree with Pono that friends are very important because when you don’t have friends, you are just playing by yourself like videogames. When friends come over I get to play with them football outside in our backyard. I really like my friends coming over and playing with me.

31. Pono Says:

Aloha,
    I think I agree with Trevor that friends are important because if you donʻt have a friend, you wonʻt have fun. The qualities I look for in my friends are we like the same thing, and they are nice to me. Pono means do the right thing. I am nice to my friends and at home I clean up my room and clean up after dinner.

32. Kamuela Says:

I am pono at home because when my sister needs help cleaning her room I help her clean her room. I am pono at school because if someone needs a pencil or a eraser I will let them borrow mine for there work.

33. Kana'i Says:

When I was listening to the story I herd how friends are inportent. Because who are you going to play with if you have no friends.

34. Kainani Says:

I think being Pono means to treat others the way they want to be treated.I’m Pono at home when I clean the house,help with homework,cooperate with my mom,etc.

35. Austin Says:

I will be pono when I am at school and at home. When I am at home I do my homework without being told. My parents give me a compliment. When I am at school I finish my work neatly to be pono. When I am pono I feel good.

36. Isha Says:

I learnd that liko sandman told him to find a real friend.I learnd that liko couldfind a friend and be respecfull.