Wow! What a Field Trip!

October 25th, 2010 by tinakamo

Our first Walking and Jogging field trip together was so special!  What a wonderful trip Mr. Tschillard planned for us and what an amazing opportunity to listen as Dr. Stender shared his mana’o about Kapalama!  What did you learn?  Why do you think it is important to remember?

Posted in General Discussion, ‘Ohana | 36 Comments »

36 Responses

1. Taylor Says:

I learnd that it was not a heiau it was a wahipana . And that the gated place is whare our kupunas bones are. I think its inportant because we should not destub our kupuna. I wonder whare the opening of the lava tubes are and how wide it is. I think Dr Stender told us about that place because he wants us to know more about our kupuna.

2. Storm Says:

-I learned that there are lava tubes under ground.-I learned that the shark is 20 feet long.-I learned that the place is called waipena.-I wonder whats the sharks name is.

3. Kuhao Says:

Dr. stender told us the important things about Ke Ana Mano because the mano comes up to swim and the mano swims under ground through the lava tubes.There is this place where our anscestors and the bones of the mano were beried.I thought it was a heiau befor but it was wahipena.

4. Kainani Says:

I learned that the gated place is where our kupuna’s bones lie.I think it’s important ’cause if you step in that area,it will disturb our kupuna.I wonder why our kupuna were buried there?I also learned the place we went to wasn’t a heiau.It was a wahi’pana.I think this is also important ’cause some people think it’s a heiau.

5. shayni Says:

I learned in underground theres lava tubes.The place we went is called keana mano.Thereis a fence and inside are the bones of are ancestors and sharks.I wonder even its forbidden.

6. trevor Says:

I learnd there is lava tubes from the ocean. Peles brother favorite place to eat is in lava tubes back and forard eating the Papio and other fish. I learnd some of the ansister got baraed with there bones. I wonder how the ansister got bearead with there bones becuse they are ded and they can not see them and there bones.

7. Sarah Says:

I learned that there is a lava tub under ground. there is a fence that it is not nice to go inside the fence beacause sharks bones are in it and some of are ancestors. Why can’t we go into the fence when are ancestors and shark bones are in the fence arya?

8. Kana'i Says:

Dr.Stender told us about the mano and the cave. how thay got up here. Dr. Stender said the mano got up here by the lava tubs. Ths plas we went is Keana mano. Dr .Stender said it is a secret plac.

9. Pono Says:

Aloha kakou,
    Today I’m blogging about our field trip to Keana Mano For walking and jogging. I learned that Keana Mano means “Cave Of The Shark”, Keala Mano means “Pathway Of The Shark”, and that Wahi Pana means “Sacred Place”. That means that Keana Mano is a sacred place. There is bones of our kupuna in the middle. ^/_^

10. Kahiehie Says:

1.I know that the sharks go under the lava tube.2.Kean’a mano means the cave of the sharks.3.If you take a turn to the right you colud see Kean’as mano fin.4. I herd that some of our kupuna died.Question:how did the lava tube get to the ocean?

11. Joshua Says:

How can the path way of water turn into stone? Why is our campus us to be secret? Why would the sharks come here?I learned ther is lava tubes under our campus.Is ther lava in lava tubes?

12. Austin Says:

I learned that there was lava tubes under the Keana Mano and at the Keana Mano Dr.Stender told us that our ansestors were burried in the garden Keana Mano and I think it is forrbitten.

13. Jireh Says:

I learned that the mano got up from the lava toob and i learned that the place was called ke ana mano.

14. Cade Says:

I learned that the lava tubes are not tubes of lava in the ocean.
    I head Dr. Stender said, the bones of are ansesiters are baried in the rock wall cage and I learned that in 1st grade.

15. Isha Says:

I learnd that the sharks go in the
    lava tubes and they come by are school. And we learnd a real story
    about pele and she was missing someone in her family so she got on her canoe and she followd her brothers and sisters and her brothers and sisters wanted to live on other ilands while they were helping pele. And I also learnd that in our school’s garden there’s a gate and in the middle there’s a rock wall and in the rock wall is the bones of our ancestors and some shark bones. And it is disrepspectful to trespass in there. I wonder what will happen if you trespass.

16. ANDEE Says:

I learned that there is a gate that are ancestors and some shark’s and there bone’s are in the gate. Why can’t we go in to the gate with are ancestors and the shark’s in it. How can the shark’s travel up to here. How can the pathway of water tern into stone?

17. Kainani Says:

Pono,
    Thank you for reminding me that wahi’pana means “sacred place”.

18. shayni Says:

On this wonderful field trip we got to talk about what was important on the garden.I think the most important thing is the hawaiin plants on the garden right here in kamehameha schools.On the ground there are nuts,flowers,leavs and I saw one litle mushroom on the ground.We saw thing that we didn’t noticed on the field trip today.

19. Taylor Says:

It was so nice for Dr.Stender to tell us about Pele. The story is about Pele and her family getting on a canoe and fallowing Kamoho ali’i. Kamoho Ali’i likes O’ahu he also lives here too. I wonder if Kamoho Ali’i is still alive because Pele is on the island of Hawai’i so he could be alive. I learned that there are indiganes and introdused plants like the ulu plant is introdused.

20. ANDEE Says:

Isha i think that if you trespass you will hert our ancestors and they will not like it and the sharks will not like it to that’s why you shoud not trespass in the gate.

21. kuha'o Says:

All of second grade went on a field trip to KEALA MANO and down there Dr. Stender shared a little bit about this place. One of the things that Dr. Stender shared a little bit about the plants because some are indeginous and some plants were introduced by the hawaiians. Some of the names of the plants were ki, koa and lama.

22. cade Says:

I learned that Pele brother’s wanted to stay on ‘Oahu and some of the plants where indignet and some where not or they could be native.

23. Trey Says:

Today I learned that Peles brothers and sisters ask Pele if they can stay at diffrent ilends.And Pele was being a good sister because she was letting them stay.I also learned that Keana Mano means Cave of The Shark.I also learned that when you go up the main gate and when you turn to the right it kind of looks likes Kahoali fin on the top of him.

24. Kainani Says:

I forgot the name of the place we went and now I remember.It was Keana Mano.Also,Pele’s shark-brother,Kamohoal’i,settled on ‘Oahu after he traveled with his family in search of Pele’s husband.I think the legend that Dr.Stender told us should be in a legend book.

25. KANA'I Says:

DR.stender told us a story about the Sharks and how thay came to KAMEHAMEHA.DR.Stender said thay came up a river.and DR.stender said when you go down the hill you will see a mounten that looks like a sharks fin.

26. Pono Says:

Aloha,
    Today we went down to Keana Aka Mano for a second grade field trip! We had to walk from school, down the mountain that our school is on. It wasn’t to long waking down. When we got there Dr. Stender told us about how Kamoho Ali’i Pele’s brother or the shark god and how he would swim up the lava tube and chase papio around. Dr. Stender also said that Pele would turn into a old lady and would ask for food. The people that were pono, and gave her food did not get their houses ran over by lava a couple days later. We got to see endemic, indigenous plants, and polynesian introduced plants. Endemic means it can only be found in one place, indigenous means that the people didn’t bring them there, nature brought them there, polynesian introduced means people brought them there. Then we went to the gate. We couldn’t go through because that was were the remains of our kupuna were over there. Then we said ‘Oli Mahalo and walked back up the mountain and it took a L-O-N-G time.

27. jolie Says:

I learned that are kapuna lives under ground.I also learned that some plants are endeginet and some plants are endemic.

28. jireh Says:

There is a mountain that looks like a shark fin. And Pelles power is lava because if pepole be meen to her she bees meen to you because you didn’t give her food or water. And her brother was a shark he jroved his family to place because pelle was looking for her husband and her brother stayd at oahu because he saw it was a byutifol place so he stayed there and he aksed Pelle that he can stay at oahu and the brothers and sisters stayed at a difrent iland to.

29. Sarah Says:

I learned that all the sharks have pouers like Pele’s pouer is when she gets angry she makes a vocano eruped.Dr. Stender also said that Pele sometimes she turn’s into a Lady.This is new information about Pele’s family.also I learned that are kupuna navigated to taheti and now some of our ancister’s are under the rock’s behine the fence.

30. Austin Says:

I learned that the indinges plants are the plants that the humans brought.Indemic plants are the plants that were already there our ansestors didn’t bring these plants.

31. Joshua Says:

There is a mountain that is shaped like Kamoho Ali’i’s dorsail fin. Pele’s family has speishal powers. Kamoho Ali’i is one of pele’s brother’s he has the power to turn in to a mano. Pele’s family is scatered all over the poliynisain triagle.

32. Kahiehie Says:

Today I learned about a story about Pele.Peles family has powers.She and her brother traveles to Oahu and she didint want to stay she wannted to go. Dr. stender toled us that if we look at the right side of kealamano.And that means the cave of the sharks.Pele act like an old lady Dr stender told us.

33. Kamuela Says:

today on the field trip I learned that some of there plants there came from Polinisia because they took them for food and some of the plants were there from before I also learned that the name of the shark was Kamohoali`i.

34. storm Says:

The second time we went I learned that the sharks name is kamonoali`i and well we were looking I saw a ulu plant. the ulu was my classes name for kindergarten.I learned that indigenist means it was there before the hawaiians were on hawaii and they are native, indemic means it was brought here from the hawaiians.

35. TREVOR Says:

Today i learned that pele’s hole family has nature powers. I learned that the garden that we were in the plants were there before the hawaiian came to hawaii islands. I learned The lava tubes go under ground. I learned that when pele is mad the Valcano explodes and erops. I learned Kaho’oali’i led his sisters and brothers to the islands in hawaii. I learned that pele act like a old lady and asked people for food if people dont give her she will destroe there house. pele is from tahiti and went to hawaii.

36. Taylor Says:

I am going to miss the second walking and feild trip to go to my cusins 1st bithday party. But I will miss you all.