Hokule’a

May 17th, 2010 by tinakamo

images

Today we were able to visit with some of the crew members of the Hokule’a at the Marine Education and Training Center.  Aunty Moani gave us a tour of the Hokule’a and we had the opportunity to see, touch and learn about the Hokule’a.  What did you find most surprising?  What do you think is important to remember?  How is polynesian voyaging connected to you and your life?  Would you like to be a crew member on one of Hokule’a’s voyages? Why or why not?

Posted in General Discussion, Social Studies | 30 Comments »

30 Responses

1. Kason Says:

I learned that the Hokule’a is 62 to 64 feat long.it surprised me that they have to use the bath room hanging of of the ship.

2. Evan Says:

I would probably want to be a crew member because I want to feel how it is to live on there and to learn how they do things. What I found that was surprising is that they have a limit for how many people can go in the beds. The beds were so tiny that only a few people could sleep in the sleeping area. They had to have the others watch the canoe. If I went on a long voyage on the Hokule’a, I would bring lots of non-perishable food or water to eat or drink, fishing gear for fishing and a stove for cooking the food. The important thing to remember is that before you go on the canoe,you need to show respect to the canoe,listen to the captin in what he says to do and that your crew members are your family so we need to respect them like our own Ohana.

3. kalista Says:

I learned that you have to steer the Hokule’a with a giant wood piece on the back of the boat.You have to sleep in sleeping quarters.Only ten people can sleep at a time because if every body is sleeping then who is going to navigate the boat?The Hokule’a taks about fifteen crew members at at time.The people who sleep first switch with the people who are navigating the boat.There are about ten sleeping quarters.I would like to be a crew member because it would be fun and it would be cool to watch the sunset and sunrise every day!

4. Camille Says:

I learned that the Hokule’a is 62 feet long! From my perspective, the Hokule’a didn’t even look 50 feet. The Hokule’a used to have all boys on deck. But when she was coming back from Japan, the Hokule’a had 2 women on board. There was also a lot of “Man Over Board”s. They people on board the Hokule’a could only make fresh food last a week or two.

5. bailey Says:

I think the most surprising thing was that they had to use the bathroom in the sea. Each short journey they would have fifteen people but for a long journey they took twenty people. I think food and fresh water would be the best thing to have on the Hokule’a. If they never went to Japan, I would not be here. I think I would be a good navagator and a good fisherman. It was hard to swing the canoe paddle. I learned that the Hokule’a had a safty boat. Aonther thing I learned was that the Hokule’a was sixty-two to sixty-four feet long. I learned that they had different jobs onboard. There were three navagators that took different times to work. I wonder where they fish onboard. Only ten people can sleep at a time. The captain always was awake seven days and twenty four hours. The game of kumu says was good pratice of being a navagator.

6. Pu'uwai Says:

I learned that the Hokulea is 32-34 feet tall.
    I would want to be a crew member because I would want to know more about how my Kupuna got to Hawaii.
    One thing that I found very suprising was when their was a limit of people who could go into the beds.
    I think something important to remember is to know how to navagate and how to stear.

7. Charlize Says:

I learned that they take a shower. They use a bucket and put water in it and dump it on theirselves. I think the inportant thing was that they use the stars,sunrise and birds to navigate. I don’t want to be a crew member because I can’t live without a toilet.

8. Trent Says:

Today I learned that the Hokule’a is 62-64 feet long. Another thing I learned was that the Hokule’a is 35 years old (they just celebrated its birthday). Another thing I learned was that only 1 person can sleep in a sleeping quarters. I would like to learn more about the net beds because how do they tie the nets onto the Hokule’a? How do they weave the nets? I would not want to be a crew member because I do not want to go overboard or eat much of the fish they catch. I think for others it would be fun because they would like to learn how to navigate with the birds, the stars, and the wind.

9. Dylan Says:

I was suprised about how heavy the steer was.I think its important to remember Eddie Aikau and how he sacraficed his life to get help.I want to be a crew member because when I grow up I want to learn how to navigate like the hawiians used to.I wonder haw much rope is on Hokule’a? I wonder what would happen if you fell over board in the middle of the night? I wonder whats under the hatch? I wonder how the water gets draind out when the crew members take a shower? I wonder what the crew would do if you were sailing and you got sea sick? I wonder how big the mass is?

10. Keanu Says:

I learned that the Hokule’a has solar panels to provide eletricity on their boats because if you have anything that can be charged you can charge it.They have an electrician so if anything goes wrong with the electricity the electrician can fix it.Another thing they use to power up with electricity is lights on the top of the spar.I would like to be a crew member because I would like to feel how it’s like to voyage on a canoe that’s 22-24 feet long and I wonder what it would feel like when we’re sleeping in the sleeping quarters.

11. Koali'i Says:

What I found most surprising is that they had canned foods on the Hokule’a.I thought they had to fish for their foodd like real hawaiians did before us.That was a really shocking piece of information for me.I think whats important to remember is how to navigate using the stars,birds and waves to detirmine if it was a good time to voyage.Polynisan voyaging connects to me because my ancestors before me navigated and voyaged to get to hawaii. That’s why I feel that I can and should learn how to voyage like my ancestors.I would like to be part of the voyage because I am doing what my ancestors have done to get to hawaii in the 1400 or even before.I would feel good because I would knoow how to voyage like my ancestors.

12. Hunter Says:

I learned that the Hokul’a sailed to tahiti. I also learned that the Hokul’a just hade her 34 birthday. And yes I do want to be a member of the Hokul’a, because I want to feel how it felt when our ancecters sailed the Hokul’a. Another thing I learned was, there is only one navigator at one time to sail the boat.

13. Pono Says:

I think that the most intresting thing was the part when she said was that they hold knifes at all times because they might get caught in rope and then they cut the rope.

14. Pono Says:

I found most surprising was when you had to hook your self and you had to use the buket to scoop water to shower with.

15. Noelani Says:

What surprised me was that the Hokule’a had a knife just to make sure that rope dident get tied up to there leg but if it did then they would have a knife right there for them to cut it off but what surprised me was that since the rope is thick wouldent it kind of be hard for a knife to cut it off because if I had a choice what to use I would choose big scissors insted because you could cut your leg with a knife but scissors are alittle more carful.

16. kalani Says:

I was kind of suprised that we were on the actual canoe that Eddie Ikau was on because when I got on I thought, WOW! I am on the actual canoe that Eddie Ikau was on. I was also suprised that people use harnesses to do their bussiness and not a toilet that flushes their “waste” into the ocean. I think that one thing that is really important is knowing how to navigate using the stars, birds, sunrise and sunset, the wind and the swells. One way how the voyage [might] relate to me is if my great, great, great [times 20] grandparents on my mom`s side were one of the first people to go to Hawai`i or came to Hawai`i by airplane or something but if they didn`t come to Hawai`i, I would not be ME. I would like to be a crew member because I have never experienced somthing that I have to depend on the things around me and not machines.

17. Caitlin Says:

The most surprising thing I thought was the Hokule’a had solar power so they could charge radios, ipods and phones! The most important items to bring are canned foods, water, jacket, life jacket, safety ring, shampoo, oil stove and pots and pans.
    I learned that the Hokule’a was
    made in 1973-1975. The Hokule’a
    took one month to sail to Tahiti in 1980. The Hokule’a’s longest journey was to Japan. Only 15 people can sleep at one time. The people sleep in a big pocket on the boat. The Hokule’a has a partner to pull or tow in the Hokule’a. I do not want to be a crew member because I don’t want to fall overboard.

18. Tara Says:

I’m suprised that the Hoku’le’a is sixty four feet long. I think it is important to remember teamwork because you can’t do everying at the same time. I think that it is important to us because it brought our ancestors to hawaii. I would love to sail on the hokulea because i would want to feel how our ancestors rode the canoe. I would want to be the captain.

19. keenyn Says:

I learned that when you are trying to make a canoe it is hard finding the koa tree cause if a brid is peking then it has bugs and worms then that is not a good tree.I dont really want to be one because i dont want to sterr the boat and to do things that they did.

20. Esther Says:

The polynesian voyaging is related to us from our ancestors. I learned that there was no engine on the canoe and that we could shift places for paddling and watching out. I really liked what I learned about the Hokule’a.

21. Trent Says:

I agree with Dylan because the paddle was VERY heavy to me. The canoe did not look like 62-64 feet to me.

22. bailey Says:

I agree with Kason and Dylan because they said that the Hokule’a is 62-64 feet long. I agree with Dylan again about the paddle. Pono’s one is about how they use knives at all times on boat that is the one that I agree too. Catlin I agree with your first sentence. Charlize’s first and second sentence about how they shower is the one that I agree too.

23. Keanu Says:

Our ancestors used the stars,the birds,the current of the waves,and the waves because they didn’t invent electricity.

24. Hunter Says:

I agree with Tara, because it is important to remeber to do teamwork, not just one time, but
    every time you have something that lots of people are in. I also agree with Tara, because it is also imprtant to us that it came to Hawi’i and brout our
    ancestors.

25. koalii Says:

I Agree with Kason because it suprised me that they had to strap themself’s on to the ship and go do their buisness without being terified that I might fall off the boat. I also think the paddle was huge compared to an average paddle for a regular paddle boat/canoe. I think the boat was very long and wide for a voyaging canoe,but it does have to carry eveything for a succesful voyage.The field trip to the hokule’a was a great experience and I hope we get to learn more about it next year so that I don’t regurgutate my knowledge.

26. Dylan Says:

I agree with Trent. The canoe looked like it was 100 feet long. It might be an optical illusion.

27. kalani Says:

I agree with Evan because like he said he would bring non-perishable things on the Hokule`a. Thats what I would do.I would bring things like Veana sausage, Spam, Chicken Noodle soup and a few other things.

28. Caitlin Says:

I agree with Dylan about what happens if you fall overboard and that is why I dont want to be a crew member of the Hokule’a. The paddle was very heavy to me too.

29. Evan Says:

A lot of people talked about the sleeping quarters but actually, 12 people could fit at one time because the maximum length of the sleeping quarters run along the sides of the deck which is 40 feet long so it could fit 6 people in both sides of the deck. But the area is not only for sleeping, its also for storage.Only a few people could sleep because of the space and the others did boat watch. Also,for going overboard, I would be careful with steering not too much of a sharp turn and stay on watch by staying in the middle more often. I agree that you have to remember to navigate with the wind, stars and birds. Also,I agree that it might be fun for people to navigate.

30. Tara Says:

I agree Evan the beds are so tiny.