Golden Pencils

May 12th, 2010 by tinakamo

images-1

Today was our last Golden Pencils sale of they year.  Did you publish a book through Golden Pencils this year?  Last year?  The year before?  What was it about?  Please share your thoughts about how you feel when a book you have worked hard on is published through Golden Pencils.  How do you feel when you purchase books that others have written?  How do you decide what books you want to purchase?  Could you tell us about a favorite Golden Pencils purchase?  As a writer, what are your thoughts about the next book you would like to publish through Golden Pencils?  What will it be about?

Posted in General Discussion, Writing | 18 Comments »

18 Responses

1. bailey Says:

I think I publish a book called The stelers super bowl history. I only publish this year not any other year. It was about how many bowls they won and what year and how they played. I felt good writing the book becaues I’m wirting about somthing I like. Oh and the book that the forth grader wrote was asome. I think when you buy a book you read it a little bit ,and you chose if that is the book you what or don’t want. After you made a book you chose what is the title.

2. Kason Says:

The golden pencil book sale today inspired me to write my own book maybe the next golden pencil book sale. I think that if we didn’t have golden pencil book sale we wouldn’t be able to know how other people think and we wouldn’t be able to see the writer’s creativity. i wrote a book for golden pencils and as I said before I would like to do one again! when I do another book I am going to do it as a chapter book. one book will be about the dragon gods and the other book about the blood sucking panther. i hope everyone enjoys my books next year and congragulations to Lele and his family on thier great job in writing the book!! 🙂

3. kalista Says:

I never published a book this year.Last year I did make a book for golden pencils.It was about me going on the bus and what I do when I get home from school.It was called On the bus we go!I think that next year I will make a golden pencils book called big trouble.It is going to be about a dog and a girl getting in big,big,big trouble.

4. Evan Says:

In kindergarten,2008,I submitted a book about exercise and staying healthy. When I look at a few purchased books that other people wrote, I noticed that they worked really good on their books. I like to purchase stories about kids inventing things,solving mysteries, and going on adventures. My next story is about this boy named Paul and his friends Nevin and Jake solving a mystery about who ate the piece of cake at a party. My goal next year is to publish that book for the next Golden Pencils sale.

5. Trent Says:

I didn’t write a book for Golden Pencils. Or the year after that. Or the year after that one. I didn’t have a lot of time to submit one. All the kids worked very hard on it. Next Golden Pencils sale I will try very hard to submit one. All the kids made me want to work hard on my books next year.

6. Pono Says:

No i never published a book.

7. Hunter Says:

I didn’t write any stories for Golden Pencils. The Golden Pencils sale inspired me to write fiction and non-fiction stories. I would write about my ohana because they are so special to me. I noticed there was two books about Michael Jackson and one book about Kumu Kealoha. When I went to the Golden Pencils sale, it reminded me about the book that Esther and I are working on. It is about me, Esther and Esther’s cousin playing in the house and we discover “Bloody Mary.” The title of the book is “Bloody Mary Returns.”

8. Camille Says:

This is my first year submitting a Golden Pencils BOOK!!!!!! And even more so, throughout this whole school year, I submitted 3 WHOLE BOOKS!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 !!!!! Maybe my next book for Golden Pencils will be about two really good friends who fight alot and in less then three seconds, their friends again!!! My book in real life is gonna be about Lynsey and I (the two really good freinds who fight alot) who are really really really really really really really really (times 9,00000000000000000000) BBBBBBEEEEEEESSSSSSTTTTT FRIENDS!!! Nothing can separate us for even a single plain old DAY!!!!!

9. kalani Says:

I have never submited any books yet but I have about 3 books I want to publish. 1.”Spider!!!” 2.”Don`t let the Dog Chase the cat” and 3. “The Blank Paper”. One reason why I could not publish my spider book is because I was going to find non-fiction pictures but when the computer problem popped up I /my class could not go on the computers.

10. Dylan Says:

I published a book in 2008.It was about gorrillas.I feel that I worked hard in all of my writing pieces.I was thinking about making a book called “Time travelers”.It’s going to be about two men who travel back in time to the old western style.One of them almost dies though.

11. Esther Says:

In first grad I publisht a book calld bed time storys. I think I culld do a better job of doing it.

12. Caitlin Says:

For Golden Pencils I published
    two books, 1 in first grade and
    1 in second grade. I feel great
    about Golden Pencils because we can have opportunities to write
    and draw. Also, we can buy and
    enjoy other people’s books.

13. Charlize Says:

This is my first time submitting 2 books to the golden pencils.I am proud of what I did.

14. koalii Says:

I didn’t publish a book this year but I did in 1st grade “Sharks” and kindergarden was “Animals” I fellt good because I was finish with so many
    books and another thing is I worked really hard on it. If I publish another book I want to write about the nba boston celtics basketball team. I would write about each player..

15. Tara Says:

This is my first year that I submitted a book. I was so excited but I kind of felt scared because I wasnt sure what other people would think of my book. I still dont know what people think about my book but they sold out before I could even buy one. I was just writing a new story about a girl who left Tennessee when she became famous but really missed the old days in Tennessee. I am writing it for my writing assessment but may publish it next year. The way I choose a book to purchase is by looking at the cover. One time I saw a book that I thought would be interesting because of the cover, but when I read the story it didnt come out as I thought it would. That brings up “Don’t judge a book by its cover”.

16. Puuwai Says:

This was my very first time as an author and I got 2 books published:-)! It was totally awesome experience! It was fun and exciting to see my book’s as well as all the other hard working author’s. I know that everybody put their heart and soul into their writing…and it showed. Everybody did a great job! There were so many good books. I like reading funny stories that are “real”. I don’t have a favorite book because I know that everybody worked hard to get their books published. The next book I would like to publish will be about my new puppy:-) She look’s like a bear, waddles like a duck and bark’s like a seal!!hahahaha!! Maybe I’ll tell you her name when the book is published. ! Thank you Golden Pencil’s for letting me share my creativity!:-)

17. Mrs. Sumida Says:

Aloha Papa Hawai`iloa,
    Mahalo nui loa for your active participation in Golden Pencils – this year as well as in previous years! Reading your comments gave me greater insights into how students feel about writing and reading other student books.

Tara brought up a good point about not really knowing how readers feel about her published book. Most classrooms have a link from their blog to the Golden Pencil’s blog. Within the Golden Pencils blog, you are able to comment on books that you purchased.

I’ll have to make it a point to remind students about this so authors can receive comments.
    Tara, just the fact that your book sold out says that you did a fabulous job on writing and publishing!

Over the summer, I hope ALL of you will think about and work towards publishing for next year’s Golden Pencil book sale. Just reading about your ideas for future books makes ME WANT TO READ THEM!

As Kason said, “I think that if we didn’t have golden pencil book sale we wouldn’t be able to know how other people think and we wouldn’t be able to see the writer’s creativity.” Golden Pencils is all about expressing YOUR ideas and being as creative as you desire!

The best books are those that students take time to write and illustrate well so take your time and work hard on them.

***DECEMBER 9, 2010 is the date of the upcoming book sale so write away!

Mahalo Mrs. Nakamoto for including this blog entry. I enjoyed hearing the many thoughts of your students!

Mrs. Sumida

18. Camille Says:

Ms. Sumida,

my book “Guinea Pigs Don’t Wear Gowns” also sold out!

I think also that my next book will be called either “Umm… The Bunny Ate My Homework!!!” or “No Excuses!!!” That story will be about a girl named Chloe and her mean teacher named Ms. Shotsky. Ms. Shotsky throws out the homework to Chloe and her friends Kirsty, Rachel, Anna, Millie, and Violet and Chloe’s worst enemy: Edith Eddelton. With out explaining the homework, Chloe was puzzled and didn’t know how to do it. As soon as Cloe gets home, she throws her dusty rose-colored backpack down onto the living room floor. While she’s in the kitchen making herself a snack, Chloe’s nosy and mean little 3-year old sister Lilly sneaks a peek into Chloe’s bag and on purpose ripped Chloe’s confusing homework into shreds! Cloe’s furious at Lilly but Kate Frances, Chloe’s older sister comes to the rescue. Kate Frances tell Chloe to make up a little fib. So the next day when Kirsty and Chloe are walking to school together Chloe tells Kirsty the story and Kate Frances’s little “fib”. But, Chloe’s in trouble. When Cloe was done telling Kirsty about the fib, Edith Eddlelton and her adopted same-age brother Eddie Ryland come out from behind Cloe and Kirsty. Edith shouts in Chloe’s face “I was right behind you and Kirsty the WHOLE TIME. Oh, and I heard every single word! And just to mention it, I’m going to tell Ms. Shotsky!” Edith sings in a sing-song bossy tone voice. “And my favorite brother Eddie is going to tell the principal at recess!!!” Edith sang. Chloe had had enough. She pushes Edith and Eddie down to the ground and races to class. Kirsty, out of breath, says to Chloe, ” don’t worry”. Then the school bell rings. “Okay. You can worry” Kirsty cried to Chloe as she whispered the story to Millie, Anna, and Violet. As Rachel hung her bag up, Chloe rushed up to her and quickly but quietly told her the story. When Ms. Shotsky collected the homework, in a sour tone voice Ms. Shotsky told Chloe “WHERE’S YOUR HOMEWORK!!” Chloe replies “Uh..Uh..Ummm…. The Rabbit ate my homework!!” “Thats a lie!!!” Edith shouted. “No it’s not!” Chloe protests with a huge smile on her face.