Science/P.E. Hike

March 3rd, 2010 by tinakamo

Aiea_Loop_Trail1-1

Wow!  What a wonderful day filled with fitness, foliage, fauna, and fascinating facts!  Mahalo to Mr. Tschillard and Mrs. Kutsunai for planning this day and to Aunty Shari, Uncle Ed and Uncle Kamaile who helped us enjoy it.  What did you observe and learn about that you think is important to remember?  What questions do you have?

Posted in Health, Science | 21 Comments »

21 Responses

1. Caitlin Says:

I saw a can of soda on the ground and a chicken eating. I think it’s important to remember not to pollute the environment. For example: don’t drop trash on the ground. It’s important not to liter, so we don’t hurt the environment and animals. I wonder why the birds eat the strawberry guava seeds?

2. bailey Says:

I remeber the koa tree’s leaves are shaped like a cresant moon. The kukui nut tree is a water and land tree. The birds love to eat the guava tree’s seeds and they spread the guava tree around. I have no questions.

3. kalista Says:

I learned that the Heaiu was first a nusery,and not just any nursery it was a Hawwian nursery and it is 100 years old!!!!!There are really steep drops!It was really,super,awsome field trip.

4. Esther Says:

I lernd that trees can have good smels like Lemon and ther can be a tree that can make you fill good if you are sik.

5. Trent Says:

This hike was awesome!!! I learned that the stream washed the dirt away and made all the roots rise from the ground. I wonder how long it takes to hike up the whole mountain? How do bikers ride over the roots without falling? We also saw a lot of old trees. I wonder if Hawaiian birds still live in it?

6. Hunter Says:

Today my class and I went to Aiea Loop Trail. And when we were there, some of us saw a bird nest, and some of us saw a bird in a tree. But when we saw it, the bird was not in the nest, and the nest was in a
    diffrent tree. And we also saw two puppys.

7. camille Says:

wow!

I never knew we could have such a field trip!!! awsomest field trip i’ve EVER had in a long time.

8. Hunter Says:

We also adopted two spots. Thoes spots are really,
    really, really needed on a hike at least half an hour.

9. Pono Says:

I got a lot of energy. I could feel it in my feet when I was walking down the hill.

10. Noelani Says:

I learned that there was this plant that people would come and use this plant when they are sick.So you use this plant like this you pick one or get one then you wet the plant
    then you rub that plant on were ever you need to put it then you will feel better and I wonder about were this plant grows more and were do these plants go after using it?

11. Evan Says:

Today’s hike was fun. It was also way different and a longer hike than the other one. There were lots of eucalyptus trees towards the top and Koa trees in the center of the trail. There were lots of step parts and erosion. The erosion caused the dirt to disappear so the roots were showing. The roots looked like a tarantula. The P.E. part of this trip was hiking which is walking and the science part was studying nature,trees and plants. What was important that I learned was that we should not hurt the environment or else,we would create erosion.

12. Keanu Says:

Today I learned a lot from Mrs.Kutsunai and Mr.Tschillard.I saw lots of Strawberry Guava.Strawberry Guava are a pest plant because they are tiny fruits with tiny seeds in it that birds can eat.After they eat the fruit, they spit the seeds out on the ground.That means there will be more Strawberry Guava growing which stops other plants from growing.

13. Dylan Says:

Today was very fun.I was suprised when I saw all the trees and plants.My mom told me that the shade will prevent the plant from growing because the plants need the sun.It was also kind of cool when we saw all the holes.

14. Tara Says:

I thought it was really fun. An important thing to remember is that everything connects to eachother.It can be one way or many ways .And at some points you have to stop and look around. You have to look at the plants and look at the animals to appreciate them for what they do for us.

15. Kason Says:

I think that if we didn’t go on that hike we wouldn’t have known how people’s houses used to look. Some plants could be very useful to us. Like if we had a bruse then the plant will be just like a bandage. On the trip we saw koa trees, iron wood, papaya trees and pine trees. Why does only certain types of plants help you while others are poisanes.

16. Puuwai Says:

I really had a terrific time. I love to be around nature. I enjoy the sounds, the smell and the feel of the wind. I learned what the meaning of erosion means. It’s when the water washes the dirt or rocks and you see lots of root’s underneath.

17. Koali'i Says:

I think the most important thing to remember is that there are not so much native plants. They are disapiring because the pest plants like the strawberry guava. Their small but they have a big diffents because the birds eat it and they are spreading it around but a lot of trees don’t like the smell. Another one is the ucaliptis tree. It has mendal but the native trees don’t grow there because again, the smell. I wonder, do some native trees live with not-native trees? I wonder does the leaves on the non-native trees make a native tree sick?

18. Charlize Says:

When I saw the leavs it smelt so good. When we was walking I had to use a walking stick because it was so hard to walk up hill.

19. Kia`i Says:

When ever you Hike ther is a hill that is steap.And also bumpy from the roots.

20. keenyn Says:

that was a good hike that was my 1st time going on a hike.

21. Maia Says:

Hi! I’m one of Mrs.Nakamoto’s old students. Hey I’m in 3rd grade now. Have you been treating her nicce? I hope so. Tell her I said Hi! Blog Ya tomorrow!