Arting with Kumu Meleanna

February 3rd, 2010 by tinakamo

Wow!  What a wonderful experience we had “arting” with Kumu Meleanna today.  What is “arting?”  What are some things you learned from Kumu Meleanna today that you think are important to remember as you continue “arting?”

Posted in General Discussion, Writing | 20 Comments »

20 Responses

1. Esther Says:

Today we lernd about thum nail skeches and we lernd about you have to put alot of detall in your drawing not just one topic in your drawing.We lernd about zooming in your picter and to google your picter and print it so you no how to draw your picter the way how it is supost to be.

2. Pono Says:

She is so good at drawing. I learned how to draw a bat. she drew a giant octopus.

3. kalista Says:

Kumu Meleanna tought us how to draw nice.I really learned alot.You should see her drawings.I learned how to shade a drawing.She draws her squids/octopuses AWSOME!!!!!!!

4. Camille Says:

It was sssssooooooo fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we need to remember “arting” because we can spread our imagination down on the paper instead of just “talking”.

5. Hunter Says:

I really, really agree with you
    Esther, Kalista, and Camille.

6. Evan Says:

Kumu Meleanna came to visit us today. She said that we have to make the drawings look real if you are drawing in a book. First, you start out with thumbnail sketches. Then you color it in. She showed us an example of her drawing an octopus. Once, I saw her drawing of the octopus, it almost looked like a real octopus. She also draws nice and neat. We wrote a book about near and far. We didn’t do the pages yet, but we did the title page. I had fun with Kumu Meleanna today. I think what is important is the nicer and neater you draw things and add details, the better illustrator you will become. But, I really don’t know what arting is.

7. koalii Says:

Kumu meleana worked with our class today. Arting is painting,drawing,scetching and writing art.First we created a baseball and we learned how to make our pictures look near and far.Then she looked at our thumbnail scetches and when we were ready she gave us our final piece of paper but she said to us you only can pick one
    thumbnail scetch to make for our picture.I learned that you have to draw with lots of details so you can really make it look like it is real.

8. Charlize Says:

Kumu Meleanna is a fabulous drawer. Arting is when you do art and have fun being creative. I learned not to make speech bubbles. WOW! Today was fun because Kumu helped me with my title because it was long. I also learned to make thumbnail sketches so you know what your title and pictures are going to be. When you make thumbnail sketches you have to write light so you can erase your mistakes.

9. Bailey Says:

I like Kumu Meleanna. She was awesome because she was a great art teacher. She told me that there is something that goes dark to light. I like to do the thumbnails with Kumu Meleanna. I learned that when you make thumbnail sketch mistakes you lightly erase your mistake. WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS REALY FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Puuwai Says:

Mahalo Kumu Meleanna for sharing your makana with us today! I learned that you can express yourself through art without talking, for example zooming into the main part of your story. Arting takes a lot of thinking, imagination and practice.

11. Keanu Says:

I learned a lot from Kumu Meleanna(kumu mele for short).When kumu mele was a child,she loved to draw.Thats why kumu mele became an artist.

12. kalani Says:

I think you should remember this when you “art”:If you are going to draw/scketch out a real/non-fiction object,[I meen things in the real world]you should get a picture of the object. Another thing you should remember is when you sketch, it doesn`t have to have a lot of details. On the Thumbnail sketch paper she mentioned that NO IDEA IS DUMB!

13. Tara Says:

I was so happy when kumu came. One thing I felt was not everything is going to be perfect. kumu didn’t like my title after that I changed it to we’re going crazy from are you trying to kill us.

14. Caitlin Says:

I learned that details are
    really important because if you
    don’t have details, it wouldn’t
    be artistic and your best work!

15. Dylan Says:

Today was very fun with Kumu Meleanna.She said details are very important.Without it,everything would be boring.

16. keenyn Says:

i think that was so fun working with kumu meleanna and she said don’t draw any kine and be artistick in your work.

17. Noelani Says:

Today when ku’mu Meleanna Myers came after lunch she taught us to do scetches on a piece of paper with little squares on it and we all had to choose a book that we made on the lap tops and make a cover for it and Kumu Meleanna Myers taught me soooooo well!!!!! that I noticed that my art had improved and was super nice.

18. Trent Says:

Today we learned how things are near and far. Kumu Meleanna did a very good drawing. She drew a very nice octopus. We also learned that you should put lots of details in your thumbnail sketches. You should not put just one sentence and call it a story, it has to have a lot of sentences and it can’t be bed-to-bed stories.

19. Dacia Says:

I love painting and making clay pots. I love making drawings for people who are sick. I love books becuase they are beutiful. I love beutiful art. I love giving people my art. My brother Pono made a health poster.

20. Puuwai Says:

I think “artig” means when you put your imagination into your work. I learned that bed-to-bed stories can be very “boring”.