Metamorphosis 2

February 1st, 2010 by tinakamo

DownloadedFile

We’ve started to observe the life cycle of monarch butterflies and the stages they go through as they change. What changes have you gone through since you were born? What about during your time here at Kamehameha?  What do you think is important about theses changes?

Posted in General Discussion, Science, Social Studies, ‘Ohana | 27 Comments »

27 Responses

1. Camille Says:

i think it was great!!!!! today, we got to see table 5’s butterfly(Fred =0)fly away!
    At first, he only stood there. Then, as we were going to put him on a bush, HE FLEW AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the changes are important because as it gets closer and closer to being a butterfly, we really get to see the changes they are making. For example, how they crawl up to the top of the container then form their little “J” shape. I’m wondering if we have enough catterpillars for everyone to realese 2. Hmmmmm, I wonder…………

2. bailey Says:

The butterfly on table five (5) form today and we let it go into the wild.

3. Mrs. Nakamoto Says:

Camille and Bailey,

What changes have you gone through? Why do you think the changes you have gone through are important?

4. Evan Says:

Today we saw that one of our chrysalises turned in to a butterfly. Its because that caterpillar was the first one to make a chrysalis. I wonder why they have to form a chrysalis to make a butterfly? Caterpillars are the babies and the butterfly’s are the adults.
    When I started school at Kamehameha, I usually was too active in class time. Now, I behave more better all the time.
    I behave good like that because I am growing and I am controlling how I act. I think it’s important because I get good grades for behavior and if I listen to the teacher, I get the directions and I learn.

5. Keanu Says:

Today we got to let table fives caterpillar go because it turned to a butterfly.It was a treat to see Fred go as a butterfly.I hope Fred is happy to be in nature.

6. kalani Says:

I think that it takes about 12 days for a caterpillar to form a butterfly from a chrysalis because on the chart it said on the 18th day of a caterpillars life it turn into a chrysalis.

7. Puuwai Says:

When I was born I could not talk, walk, feed myself and do anything for myself, but now at 8 years old I can do all those things plus more. I have been here at Kamehameha since Kindergarten and have become more independent. I have outgrown my uniforms and also not worrying about what people think. I think these changes were good for me because it made me grow up a little. If I didn’t have changes I would be like a caterpillar and stay that and never become like a butterfly.

8. keenyn Says:

i think that caterpillars make a chrysalis and become brown and then it will be a butterfly i miss Fred i hope he gets a lot of food.

9. kalani Says:

One of the changes I been through was when I was a baby and I started to grow teeth.

10. Camille Says:

The caterpillars on table 2 made 2 new chyrisalis. I wonder if group A noticed (tee hee =0)

11. kalista Says:

I really miss Fred.Pu’uwai held the cater- I mean buterfly on her finger and it tickled.But by the time it was the end of the day she said that it still had the irritating tickleish feeling.I told her that its like the ghost of the tickle feeling.She said thats freaky!!!!

12. Pono Says:

The changes are I all ways used to wach tv now I barely wach tv since I got older I dont wach tv anymore. I seen 5 caterpillars form. It is so cool it does the umi. I seen 1 butterfly in are class. I seen 2 caterpillars form in to a chrysals today. We had a lot of poop in are counteaner. There life is different then are life. Now we are studying beetles life.

13. Dylan Says:

I had a lot of changes in my life.One of the changes in my life was being in the snow.

14. koalii Says:

Yesterday our caterpillar formed into a butterfly at table five. The changes is when I was a baby I couldnt talk or walk. I couldnt read or write and do anything like I can do today. Going to school at Kamehameha I dont have much time at home anymore. When I started kindergarden I couldnt climb the Monkey bars, I didn’t know math very well and I wasn’t good at 4 square.

15. bailey Says:

A big change hapend because my papa got married.

16. Evan Says:

Since 2 more caterpillars on table 2 made a chrysalis, that equals to a total of 5 chrysalises! Wow, thatʻs a lot of chrysalises! My table (Table 1) is just short by 1 chrysalis. I think its because our caterpillars are to young to make a chrysalis.I think the caterpillars took a few hours to make a chrysalis when they were in their j shape. I also think that that is a fast time limit for caterpillars to make a chrysalis.

17. Hunter Says:

I really agree with you
    Camille.
    It was great to see Fred.
    I felt sad when we let fred
    go.

18. Hunter Says:

Thats really interesting Dylan.

19. Tara Says:

I’m really amazed about how fast the catipillars went through their life cycle. I’ve changed alot too at the start of kindergarten I would write HUMONGOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And now when you look at my hand writing it looks like I’ve been a thousand years alive. The caterpillars life cycle is so much quicker than the humans.

20. Charlize Says:

When I was a baby I could not feed myself or dress myself. Since kindergarden I like to do more Art work. I do more typing too. This is important so I can type better when I grow up.

21. Quinn Says:

When I was first born, I didn’t know how to handle and care for myself because as a baby, I had a limited movement span. This was my egg form. As I became more aware of the world around me I started to learn how to walk around the house. This was like my pupa stage. As I started my journy at Kamehameha Schools at Kindergarten, I began to fatten myself up with knowledge and I soon became a fat catterpiller. Soon I will create a crysilis and I’ll leave to go to middle school. Then I’ll emerge as an awesome and smart butterfly…

22. Caitlin Says:

When I was a baby I would only
    go to my mom. Then when I was little I would only tell my mom important things, but now that I’m getting older I go to
    other family members, too. For an example before I would tell only my mommy about my homework,but now I will tell my daddy, too. The change is important because I’m getting older and I know how to make better choices and I learned it’s important for me to talk to other family members. When I first got to Kamehameha Schools I felt small and scared and I didn’t know anyone.
    Now, I feel better because I have lots of friends to play with and I get along with them. I’m not scared anymore. There’s nothing be scared about.
    I’m use to it already because it’s my third year at Kamehameha Schools. The change is important becuase I feel better because I have friends and I feel comfortable in my environment.

23. Puuwai Says:

I believe that to everything there is a beginning, middle and end:-) just like the egg, chrysalis, and then the butterfly! After the butterfly lays another egg, it dies and life begins again. Pretty soon I will emerge like a butterfly and become a 3rd grader…can’t wait for new beginnings!

24. Trent Says:

Our crysilis on table five turned into a butterfly! Pu’uwai let it go in to the wild. The changes that I made is how I act like, sitting nicely at the carpet at school and dancing and singing still never changed in my life. When I first entered Kamehameha I was scared and I didn’t know what to do. Now since I have been here a long time I know what to do. My writing has improved and my reading skills has improved.

25. Kason Says:

do caterpillars crysalles have to be green? is the caterpillars supost to look the same as the buter fly.

26. Esther Says:

The buterflys are cool becase it hangs up side down when it is starting. Then it flaps its wings then we let it flap its wing.We let it go.The butterflys name is Fred.When it flu awaye and I got a little scaerd when it flu.

27. Noelani Says:

When we went to science lab we learned that a Meal worm is a life cycle of a adalt black beetle.