Caterpillars!

January 20th, 2010 by tinakamo

images-1

We are now sharing our room with several caterpillars… Share your thoughts.   What have you noticed about them?  Has anything about them surprised you?  What do you wonder about?

Posted in General Discussion, Science | 44 Comments »

44 Responses

1. Kalista Says:

Our Caterpillars our growing sooooooooo HUGE!!!Our caterpillars on table two are well and are middleish largeish.

2. Dylan Says:

Today I wondered why the caterpillar went down the container when he was going to make a crisalis?I also noticed that the caterpillar was turning a bit yellow.

3. koalii Says:

I wonder why our big caterpillar went up and down our cage? Our big caterpillar is trying to form a crysillis and its going into a J position. He wants to go down the cage. I don’t know what the little caterpillar is doing we cant really see it because its under a leaf. Another thing I learned is that caterpillars eat fast and they poop a lot so watch out!

4. Pono Says:

Today my caterpillar stayed on the top most of the day. I wonder if mine and Kalani’s are going.

5. Evan Says:

Today,our caterpillar Tim looked like it ate Tiny but Tiny was hiding under a leaf. Later,Tim was standing on his 2 legs and eating a leaf. I was surprised that Tim got bigger since the last time we saw him. He probably ate a lot of leaves. When we got more leaves for Tiny and Tim,we found another caterpillar and named it “Tiny junior” because it was smaller than Tiny. I think our caterpillars are fine because they ate some leaves and slept. We also cleaned out the dry poop from the tank. After we cleaned our tank,it looked more clean and smelled better too.

6. Puuwai Says:

I think caterpillar’s are totally amazing. I notice that the one on my desk is especially huge and “poop” alot! I also notice that it eat’s real slow. I think it is getting ready to become a crystalis. I wonder if it will start to change by tomorrow.

7. Hunter Says:

Table two’s four caterpillars , are growing an inch larger every night and every day. The next day we went to school, we saw Christyan, table two’s small caterpillar. When we were cleaning the container and
    putting new leaves in, we found three tiny caterpillars.

8. Kason Says:

can caterpillars be super small and then turn super big.

9. Noelani Says:

When I first looked at the Caterpillars on table five there’s had the LARGEST and most HUGE caterpillar also since we watched the HUGE caterpillar on table five we got lucky because we saw that the caterpillar went or crawled up the cage and started forming a J shape witch means he is making a chrycllis and we all got SOOOOO” Exited!!!!!!!!!!!” because we saw him like that and so all of our predictions are that the BIG caterpillar HAS to form a Chryclis BY TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I am so exited to see what will happen PLEASE lord make the caterpillar form a Chryclis!!!!!!!

10. Trent Says:

Today I notice the big caterpillar on our table went up on the top and went down after group A came back from recess. The thing that surprised me was when the big caterpillar climbed up to the cover and stayed up there for a long time. The thing that surprised me the most was when our tiny caterpillar turned into a white caterpillar. I think having the caterpillars in our class is very hard because everyday we have to change out the doodoo and put in new leaves? I wonder how long is it’s going to take to form a crisalis and how long is it going to take to climb out of it’s crisalis and become a butterfly?

11. Camille Says:

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUR caterpillars on table 1, They r getting SSSOOO BBBIIIGGG!!!!!!!!!!! We all agreed on names: Tim, Tiny, and our newest 1, Tiny jr. They r just so cute!!!

12. bailey Says:

The big caterpillar on table five(5) it makes a lot of big dodo. I heard that the samll caterpillar on table two (2) got eaten by the big caterpillar. I learned that the caterpillar eats the crownflower leaves and the crownflower leaves are HUGE!!!!!!

13. kalani Says:

I noticed that Caterpillars make tons of poop and some move a lot and others look like they are dead.

14. Caitlin Says:

I noticed that our caterpillar, Tiny,got bigger. I think Tiny got bigger because she ate alot of crown flower leaves.

15. Keanu Says:

I nowticed that our caterpillars are grawing so big and so fast.My table has 1 big caterpiller and 2 small caterpillers.It was funny because we named our caterpillers.The big caterpiller’s name is Tim.The two small caterpillers names are tiny and tiny Jr.Together,we call them the triplets.

16. Esther Says:

On table 4 there are small Caterpillars and they can eat alot of leaves that makes them use the bathroom.

17. Tara Says:

I thought all caterpillars were about a inch but after I went to table five and saw there largest caterpillar I completely doubted my mind.

18. Kia`i Says:

Caterpillar`s can tern in to buterfly`s beacuse of the cresolis

19. Pu'uwai Says:

On Jan. 21 we got to see a chrysalis form. I learned that when it forms,when it gets to the top something cuts off. I thouht that it was the”butt”.

20. Nadia Says:

Hi everybody,I’m Nadia, and I was Mrs.Nakamoto’s student last year.
    When we had our caterpillars, they grew to be SO HUGE!!! I hope you get to see a butterfly! BYE!

21. Charlize Says:

On my table me and my friends named our caterpillars Lazy, Hapar, and Tiny Tim. My friends like Hiper and Tiny Tim. But I like Tiny Tim. I learned that some caterpillar can eat alot.

22. Mrs. Nakamoto Says:

Wow! You should see what has happened to all of our caterpillars over the weekend! We have more than one chrysalis in our room now… Can’t wait until you come to school tomorrow so you can observe the changes!

23. Dylan Says:

Today I was shocked to see the chrysalis`s in the container.

24. Charlize Says:

Dylan on my table and I was shocked to.

25. Pono Says:

We have a lot of chrysules.I agree with you Mrs.Nakamoto.

26. Pono Says:

I agree with you Camile.

27. Pono Says:

we have so much big caterpillars we seen a huge caterpillar.

28. bailey Says:

Today we saw a TON OF CRISSLARISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on my table(4) i had fun with my catapillars.

29. Caitlin Says:

Mrs. Nakamoto, When I got to school today I was excited to see a whole chrysalis and a half of a chrysalis. I was sad to know that Thomas died from failing to make a chrysalis. I’m still wondering what happened? I think another caterpillar will turn into a chrysalis tomorrow.

30. Noelani Says:

When I walked into the classroom I saw that 2 caterpillars have formed a Chrysalis on my table and I did not get to see them form and the caterpillars that formed were mine and Esther’s named Angel. Also on table 5 there’s have formed 2 also and table 1 they formed 2 also but 1 of them died because My teacher said that he fell down and was not moving anymore and table 2 has formed 1 but one was in a J shape and we got to see that one form too!!!!!!! also the last table that I am going to talk about is table 3 witch we saw form 1 today 1/25/10 on a stick.

31. kalani Says:

I noticed that when a caterpillar is forming it`s chrysalis,at the end its butt falls of.

32. Puuwai Says:

Today I noticed that caterpillars start off as a small caterpillars then gets bigger and bigger. Can caterpillars start small then gets bigger. I was so excited to walk in the class room. I new that the two big ones was going to be a chrysalis are ready. I wonder why table(1’s) chrysalis fell? Iwas so slimy when I touched it. Inotice that it’s mostly green before it form’s it’s chrysalis. I can see alot off change’s doreing the weekend. their are now more then one chrysalis in our room now. We are going to have so much butterfly’s flying around the world. Today Iwas so shocked to see the chrysalis.

33. Camille Says:

How many Chrysalis’s are we going to get each day!!?? :/

34. Dacia Says:

Caterpillars are cool

35. Puuwai Says:

When the butterfly emurges from the chrysalis it is all black.

36. Keanu Says:

I wonder how the caterpillars are doing when our class is not here,and thats including Mrs.Nakamoto.I wonder if they just eat and eat until they make a chrysalis.

37. Noelani Says:

When I went to school today on 1/27/10 I was SO SO exited about the caterpillars on my table.Table 4 or table four because we saw that some of our caterpillars have formed a J shape (jay-shape) witch means he is forming a chrysalis witch is a good thing because then they are ready to be a Butterfly after a chrysalis and we or our table has one in a J shape and we already have 3 chrysalisi’s.

38. Mrs. Nakamoto Says:

Guess what, Noelani? The fourth caterpillar has formed into a chrysalis! Not sure when it happened, but I suppose it was sometime after the class left for Hawaiian Language and Music. =) Keanu, I guess that answers your question about what the caterpillars are doing when we aren’t here. By the way, there is a caterpillar on Table 5 that is now in a “J.” Maybe someone will get lucky and see it change into a chrysalis during conferences tomorrow…

39. Evan Says:

Yesterday at conference,I saw Bill in a J shape. Once I got out from conference,Bill formed his chrysalis. Shucks! We missed him form a chrysalis. That’s when I spotted a little caterpillar(Larva). Today,I saw Bob in his J shape. I think we missed him form a chrysalis too. That equals to a total of 4 chrysalises! Britany,Beyonce,Bill and Bob! This must be my lucky day!

40. Caitlin Says:

I noticed when I went to my parent-teacher conference Beyonce was a chrysallis. I wonder if we’re going to have another chrysallis or if there will be a butterfly on Monday.

41. Caitlin Says:

You’re right Mrs. Nakamoto, I saw table 5’s new chrysalis. I think they now have 5 chrysalis. I predict table 5 will have a butterfly soon!

42. Pono Says:

I love caterpillars. We have no more caterpillers.

43. Pono Says:

Caterpillars are cool.

44. Nadia Says:

Hello, it’s me again! You all sounded like you had fun! Last year I saw a butterfly come out of it’s crysalis. Mrs.Nakamoto was teaching reading when I shouted “The butterfly!” see you later!