Holiday Traditions

January 4th, 2010 by tinakamo

2075088508_8d0eb3de56

Each of us celebrates the holiday season in unique ways.  We participate in certain activities, eat certain foods and celebrate certain events.  Our holiday traditions are usually based on our ethnicity, our faith and our family.  What are your holiday traditions?  How did you celebrate the holiday season?  Is there any special meaning to what you do/did?

Posted in General Discussion, Social Studies | 20 Comments »

20 Responses

1. Kason Says:

Our Christmas tradition in our family is on Christmas Eve, we open one gift, then we open the rest on Christmas morning. Another tradition we have is we get together with 5 other families and we go caroling. Whenever we go caroling, my sisters dance hula to Silent Night. Sometimes the people give us candy, but that’s not why we go. It’s fun! On Christmas Day we always have a lunch at our home with my tutus and some family. Mom always invites freinds that don’t have any where else to go or no family in Hawaii. We spend New Year’s Eve by doing fireworks and inviting freinds from church over who have no other family. We use to have a tradition of going to Maui for New Year’s, but now it’s too expensive. We liked going there to see my cuzins and do Japanese traditions. But this year my mom axtruly made soba soup on New Year’s Eve. This means long life. On New Year’s Day we have a late lunch and eat Hawaiian food all day and play wii and play outside all day. We always spend holidays with my tutus, this is my mom’s auntie and uncle. My Papa too. Also, we always write or type out our New Year’s goals and my dad puts it up in our bedroom on the wall.

2. Noe Says:

This Christmas when me and my family went down the stairs we were so exited because we saw SNOW ALL OVER THE LIVING ROOM FLOOR even our doggy was playing in it and eating. It that was so funny.Also our Christmas meal was egg omelets and porchagese sausage it was good but I took forever to finish it and FINALLY I finished it and then after that we opened our Christmas gifts and I was surprised that I got presents because I wasent as good in 2009 and even mt family was surprised too.so we spend the holiday NEW YEARS by going to our family freinds house and celebrating even with our family freinds neighbors Kids who ALMOST ALWAYS VISIT even when its not a holiday because we went over to there house and played with them not on a holiday.okay now lets get back to talking about who was at the party andmy uncles neese were there too and then at the party we playig inside and wached T.v and then poped fire works until pased mid night but I stayed inside and wached tv because I was too scared but at the end I came out and wached.

3. Keanu Says:

When I woke up on christmas day,I found lot’s of presents under our christmas tree.Then,my mom found presents outside our front door.It was from jolly old saint nick(Santa Claus).but I had to go to church first.I asked my mom if I could open one present before we go to church and she said yes.So I picked one from santa and ripped it open and to my surprise,I got a bakusphere with three bakugan and some bakugan cards.

4. Evan Says:

On Christmas,I ate a special breakfast with my Papa,Lola, Uncle Andy & Auntie Karen. We had crepes,bacon,eggs,sausage and orange slices. Next,my family went to the grave sites in Kaneohe with other family members. After the grave sites, I brunched at Denny’s. I got a Junior Grand Slam. My tradition is getting together with family and friends to go out to places for good food and visiting the grave sites. On Christmas eve, I usually open one present after Christmas eve mass. On Christmas, I got what I always wanted from Santa. I got a cool motorcycle model and a mini football set. I opened all my presents under the tree when family gets to my house on Christmas.

5. Camille Says:

I had an awesome Christmas vacation! This year we did Toy’s
    For Tots and my sister and I both got Barbie’s then drove over to the Marine Corp Base to donate them.

My sister and I had so many presents that I had to use a HUGE box to put my toys in and my sister, Emma, had to use 2 piled-up high garbage bags. We still never put them away. Not even half. But, I’m still happy about that. I got things like Connect 4×4, Moxie girls, Bendaroos, and so on.

On NYE (New Year’s Eve), my mom said I was a fire pyromaniac. My neighbors from across the street came and they told me I could light whatever fireworks they had brought over to our house. I lit things some fire works like: a Millipede Mayhem, a ton of Ground Bloom Flowers w/report and even more. And the best thing is like every other year, I got to light all of these things by myself! Of course we had our own fireworks too and we had a 40 piece set. So cool! I lit all of them but 2 because my sister, who’s only 6, lit those 2. I was all mad and complaining when she lit them because when I was 6, I never even got to light any! But I was happy Dad had to help her light them because she wasn’t old enough. I think I know why now mom called me a fire pyromaniac like my friend, Mathew, who’s 9, who lives across the street. She called me one because ever since I was 6, Matt always came over here and with the left-over sparklers and burned-up fireworks, we both had an idea. I set up the burned fireworks and gave Matt the sparklers while matt lit them and we both threw in the ground bloom flowers and started a BIG bomb fire. Man, was that fun! And just before midnight we set up the Crackling string and connected ours to our neighbor’s, Aaron’s. Aaron also put leftover fireworks underneath the crackling string for an even bigger explosion! It was really loud, and BIG!

I really had a good vacation and I’m really sad it past by so fast and now tomorrow, we’re going back to school.

6. Bailey Says:

I went to Maui for Chiristmas on the first day and I got to play with my frends Brandon, Cindy, Chelcy. I got to play with my baby couson Talan , Uncle Chris, Aunty Lala. On the second day I went to Uncle’s house at night because we had a Christmas party we ate food and me and my friends played black jack. On the third day I got to play with Cindy and Chelcy. At Uncle’s house for a Chirstmas party. On the forth day my mom and dad came at night. That night we played we played Black Jack, Texas Holdem and sang karaoke.

7. Tara Says:

We decorate our yard with a lot of Christmas things. All of us put the ornaments on the tree. My brother and I open one present on christmas eve. I feel bad for my mom and dad because there buying all the presents for us [me and my brother] and we get them nothing so this year I got them something with my own money. I especially felt bad for my mom because she was with me when I bought her a gift I could of bought it another day but I didn’t know we were coming back the day after. For new years we go to our nextdoor neighboors house. Our neighboors are lucky because almost their whole family lives on Oahu, thats the way opposite of us. The rest of our family lives on the Big Island. Me and my brother popped some fireworks before we went to their. After dinner we went ino the front and popped fireworks with their family. Once it was midnight everyone went around saying happy new year and eat Ozoni soup! I went to be after 2:30 that morning.

8. Kalista Says:

My new year is usually in Waikiki,but this year I stayed in MAUI!I do not stay at home because I don’t like fireworks.I always stay in the house on New Years.When I went to my Uncle’s house I stayed in the house with his dogs White Feet and Chocolate.When I was lying on the bed Chocolate hopped on the bed and lyed down right by my side.OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH the soft and warmth of his lovely coat of fur.They always like to jump on the bed my anty says.Even though I do not like fireworks I still at least pop and watch alot of them.Even though I wear ear muffs,I still hear loud noises.My most FAVORITE fireworks are the fire crackers.

9. kalani Says:

When it is midnight on new years eve[the start of the new year]my family pops the biggest and loudest fireworks.We do that because when its midnight its the new year!

10. keenyn Says:

we go to my gradmas house and have a party we play games and eat food the food is ono we had rice and chiken and stake and shrimp and the crab was the best. the dessert was strawbarrys oh and the games was pictanary and then pin the nose on rudeoff and then stuff santa and i won that game i won a pack of redvines and the day after it was chrismas day it went smalllist to big i got lost of prestent.

11. koalii Says:

Our family tradition at christmas is that the whole familiy get together on christmas eve for a big christmas celabration. We give lots of gifts to each other. wecan open one gift on christmas eve and the rest on christmas day. We go to church on christmas day. On new years eve our family gets together and eats dinner. Then me and my cousins pop fireworks at kauluwela park with our parents. At 12 midnight my whole family goes up the park to see the big explosion of fireworks that my grandpa and my uncles and my dad put together. When the fireworks is done we wish everybody a happy new year. Then we go home and eat desert and then every body goes home.

12. Pu'uwai Says:

This Christmas was different. We spent it at my Aunty Lia’s house. Our Christmas tree was beautiful, my cousin Ocean and I decorated with help from Grandma and Aunty Lia. On Christmas morning we woke up and there were presents everywhere. I must have been good this year because Santa left me more than enough presents along with my two brothers and Ocean. Grandma, Mommy, Aunty Lia, Uncle Guy Joe, Uncle Tyler, and Aunty Kasie must have been good too they all got presents also. We all had turkey, stuffing, ham,rice and salad for brunch. Then we opened all of our presents. My favorite gift was my Nintendo Wii from my Uncle Tyler. But most of all the best gift of was sharing this time with my family, without them Christmas would not be the same.

13. Trent Says:

On Christmas, my family had brekfest at my house. I found presents on top of the table. I got a iPod nano from Santa! I also got ds games, pokemon cards, and a toy helecoptor. Every year we go to my cousins house for our annual Christmas party. My holiday tradition is baking cookies for Santa on Christmas eve.

14. Pono Says:

My tradition is boling we go boling every year We go to the pool when we have a banqouit.I liked this year because we got so much presents. my sister yelled get up get up get up it’s christmas. for new years eav we pop so much fire works.

15. Dylan Says:

My tradition is joining my family.I love Christmas because we get a lot of presents and candy.New Years was so fun!Mom made us butter mochi.At midnight,we did all of our big bombs!It was so fun!

16. Kia`i Says:

My tradition is that I slepe over my sisters house

17. Caitlin Says:

My family traditions are staying up to midnight,
    eat a bowl of noodles and eat breakfast before
    opeaning presants.

18. Hunter Says:

When we celibrate christmas, my family and I, gather around in my grandma’s house and open our presents. And if we still have presents under our tree, we open them on saturday.

19. Esther Says:

On Christmas we go to my mamas house and open up presents and on new yers we pop fire works at my mamas house to.

20. Charlize Says:

My holiday tradition is I spend time with my family. On Christmas eve we have dinner together. Then late at night we open presents.