Polynesian Cultural Center

October 20th, 2009 by tinakamo

pcc

Today we toured the villages of Samoa, Aotearoa and Fiji at the Polynesian Cultural Center. We also learned about the voyaging canoe Iosepa in the village of Hawai’i. What did you learn? What do you wonder about? Why do you think it was important for us to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center?

Posted in General Discussion, Social Studies | 26 Comments »

26 Responses

1. Tara Says:

I think it was important for us to go because we can learn about are family and different resources.We are one big Ohana and we are all different. I think it was cool to see hawaiians use what they have to get every thing. It’s kinda what I heard, EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED.

2. Bailey Says:

I learned how Samoans made fire. They made fire by rubbing a long stick to make ashes, then put the ashes in the coconut husk, then blow and wave it around until there is fire. Samoans called fire “afi”. “Sa” means love and “moa” means heart so Samoa means love heart. The Samoans used coconuts in lots of ways like squeezing the shredded coconut meat into coconut milk, coconut milk into coconut oil, coconut meat as food, and coconut juice to drink.

I learned the Aoteroa welcomed us and our kupuna before us that sacrificed their life for us into their temple. Their main food is sweet potatoe. The carvings on their walls reminds them of their ancestors or kupunas that sacrificed for what we have today. I learned 3 Aoteroa games. 1 game was called poi balls. The other game we played with 2 small sticks. The other game we used 1 long bamboo sticks, put 1 hand behind our backs and held the stick in the other hand. Whoever dropped their stick is out.

I learned that Fujians used drums to communicate with other islands. They used bamboo sticks to make music.

3. Bailey Says:

I had lots and lots of fun!

4. Kason Says:

I think if we didn’t go there, we wouldn’t know about Samoa and Aotearoa and fiji and we wouldn’t know about a canoe that was built in 2001 an d they made stuff out of leaves.

5. Caitlin Says:

I think we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center to learn about the Polynesian culture. The field trip was important, so we could learn about our ancestors, our family that lived a long time ago. My favorite part of the field trip was playing the stick game because it taught me eye coordination and directions. I had fun!

6. Dylan Says:

That was awesome!My favorite part was Figi.I liked when the man played the drums.

7. Dylan Says:

I think we went there to learn about our culture and our ansesters.And learn about how they live and survived.

8. Trent Says:

I learned in the Polynesian Cultural Center that they use a BIG log to call different islands. I think we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center to learn more about the the old days and study our class name. My favorite part was when we pound the stick and say”Kamehameha”! at the end.

9. Evan Says:

Today,our class went to the Polynesian cultural center along with 3 other classes.We went to 4 countries.Fiji,Atearoa,Samoa and Hawai’i.I liked Atearoa the most because we got to play games.We got to see the Iosepa cannoe in Hawai’i.In Samoa,they grinded the coconut to make milk.We also learned how to make fire.In Fiji,we used sticks to make music.I think this was the funnest trip ever.

10. Noelani Says:

I thought that we went to the Polynesion Culture center to learn about all of the countrys Aoutearoa Samoa and Fiji!

11. Esther Says:

I liked Samoa, Fiji, and Atealoha because they all had fun activites. We got to see our Papa HawaiiLoa Canoe just like our class name. We learned about the different cultures and saw how to make fires. My best part at PCC was playing with the poiballs. I enjoyed singing at Fiji with playing the sticks. The man at Figi counted to 3 and we shouted Kamehameha! Everything was the best part.

12. koalii Says:

I learned that in samoa sa means
    sacret moa means heart so that
    spells samoa.I think that we went to the polonishun cultral center to learn about the polonisian cultures.I learned that samoa makes fire out of small wood
    and coconuts husk. In atearoa I had a lot of fun. I was one of the best at the stick game I mest up at the poi balls. At Figi we had music to learn with a derua instroment. Bula vinaka means hello and good bye.

13. Kalista Says:

I thought that we went to Pcc to learn about our ansesters.I agree with Dylan.I thout that all polynesians were AWSOME!But I mostly like Atearoa.I liked it because they greet you with several things. #1 A horn,#2 A song.I loved the super cool song.We sang A song to.I forget what it was called?Hmmmmmmmmmm?

14. Keanu Says:

Today we went to the polynesian cutrul center(pcc).I learned in samoa,they use one big stick and one little stick with a sharp end.Theyuse the sharp end of the little stick and rub it against the big stick.I learned that in atortoa(new zealand)that they play activites.I learned how to play three activites.The first one is where you get two short sticks.The second one is where you get two strings,two round-riged paper,and two rocks.And the third one is where get one bamboo stick.I learned in figi,people use bamboo to make music.I think we went to the pcc because we can learn about diffrent cultruls of the polynesian triangle.

15. camille Says:

Going to the Polynesian Cultral Center was so exiting!
    It was my first time going EVER. It was pretty cool in Samoa to see the man step on the fire without getting burnt.
    In Samoa, Sa means “sacred” and Moa means “heart”. So if you put them together, you get “sacred heart”. I really liked Aoteroa because we got to
    use the poi balls and do the stick games and stuff. I also really liked going to Figi to
    play the little game with the
    rain sticks (that’s what I call those sticks. I forget what thier called) and learn all those different beats and yeah, it was a lot of fun. I was amazed that we got to touch the canoes. I thought we could only wander around and just look at them. The canoes felt like smooth wood. So smooth that it hardly felt like it was hardly going to have any at all. Even in a long time. I think we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center because like how we went to the Bishop Museum, we are maybe going to study the Polynesia and Micronesia part of the world later on in the school year. I liked how the man started the fire in the stick and then later transfered it into the coconut husk. I wonder why the man was waving the coconut husk with the fire in it back and forth, back and forth. Maybe to keep the smoke away? But when the man stepped on the fire, I did see both feet get all black. I wonder why both feet got black when he only stepped on the fire with 1 foot.

16. Puuwai Says:

I learned about how the Fijians, Hawaiians, Samoans and Aotearoa people lived, games they played, food they ate and their spiritual beliefs. I had fun at every village. At Aotearoa we got to play games like poi balls and stick games (2). The games were fun but hard to do because I never did it before. In the Fijian village I learned a word they use to welcome people it was Bule Vinaka. In the Samoan village I learned that they drank coconut milk and used it for cooking too. In the Hawaiian village I only got to see the canoe, it was so huge, it weighed a whole lot! What they all had in common was they believed in God, they were very creative and used and carried on the old traditions of their villages, they respected their kupuna’s and “made” their tools, cooked their own food, built their own houses with natural things like dried coconut tree leaves.
    I wonder if they everything we have today would they have been able to stick with their traditions? Because we don’t practice our cultural traditions that much because we have too much different cultures that live together.
    I think we went to PCC to learn about how different polynesian people live, eat, survive, play and besides just Hawaiians. After all we are all related because we are all polynesians.

17. kalani Says:

I learned that before people used to communicate island to island by pounding a certain rythm on a log.I wonder how loud the sound had be to reach onother island.

18. Hunter Says:

I liked the Samoa village, the Aotearoa village and the Fiji village. I liked The Samoa village because the guy made fire with a mini stick with a point on one side, one long stick with no point on either side, and with one coconut. After he stepped on the fire, and did not catch on fire. I liked the Aotearoa village because we got to play games. And one of the games where poi balls. I liked the Fiji village because we got to do a contest. And we got to do a song.

19. Charlize Says:

I liked going to the polynesian culture center because we learned about Fiji, Samoa and Atealoha.I liked Atealoha the best because I like the poi balls and the sticks. It was fun.

20. Keenyn Says:

I agre with you bailey becasus wen i went it was fun

21. Pono Says:

I think that we went to PCC to learn about other countrys and what there cultural is like fiji Atatoa and saomo.

22. Trent Says:

I liked the Polynesian Cultural Center because we get to learn things like: how to make coconut, and how they make there things out of wood. Lots of things and I learned a lot.

23. keenyn Says:

i was not ther. that was no fair but i live close.

24. Bailey Says:

The boat was rleay big.

25. Bailey Says:

I agree with you keenyn.

26. Noelani Says:

I liked the polynetion cultural Center Beacause in samoa we pounded Bamboo sticks and sang a little sheep song with this guy