Janell Cannon

September 2nd, 2009 by tinakamo

images-3

Today Janell Cannon visited our school. How lucky were we! After reading Pinduli and Verdi and hearing her speak, what comments and questions do you have?

Posted in General Discussion, Literature Discussions | 30 Comments »

30 Responses

1. Charlize Says:

I feel very lucky Janell Cannon visited us today. You wright great books. One day I would like to wright a book. Do have a cat or a dog?

2. Hunter Says:

How did you come up with the name Verdi?

3. Esther Says:

I think it was cool because Janell Cannon went in to the Bats cage to take a Picture for her Book.

4. Evan Says:

I wondered why you became an author? What was the first book you wrote? I liked when Verdi was trying to hold on to a tree branch. He let go and he was flying. It would be cool to fly.

5. Keanu Says:

I liked the way you performed and I like your books. I like your books because your books are very funny. I also learned a lot from you, like when you went into the fruitbat cage and you told us that bats climb walls with their thumbs and went into the python cage and you fed the python and ate it whole. I also love the videos that you made. I like the video when you had the idea of thinking about “what if I take a whole paperoll for the ground squirrel’s burrow?”

6. Pu'uwai Says:

I enjoyed your performance today. One day I would like to be able to write just like you.

7. Bailey Says:

how many acers of land.

8. Bailey Says:

The sqiurl and the tolit paper was funey

9. Dylan Says:

I love your books espesialy Stelaluna. I have a couple qestions. 1st, I wonder how you draw so nice with colord pencil? 2nd, are you going to write about any other animals than the animals in your backyard?

10. Tara Says:

My favorite part of Verdi is when Verdi wanted to feel like a kid again. When the baby pythons came up to him it made him think back when he was young and playful.

11. Pono Says:

How did you come up with Pinduli? Did you see a hyena? I like the book Verdi. It is cool. Did you like when you came? I want to be a good drawer when I grow up.

12. Keanu Says:

I like you Janell Cannon because you write folktale storys.I like the story Pinduli because I learned not to tease people. You have to treat othors the way you want to be treated.

13. Pono Says:

Are you going to write about the fly in your garden? It would be COOL to fly. What is your next book your going write? Are you scared of hyenas? I want to be a athour when I grow up.

14. Camille Says:

Me too. I want to be a writer too. I especilly LIKE to read and write.I like to express my feelings in my writing

15. Kalista Says:

Is it easy to use color pencils
    and airbrush?How long does it take you to do your pictures?Are you getting better at doing that?I dont think I could do that.Do you think I could do that?Hmmmmmmmm?

16. Trent Says:

Hello Janell Cannon, how do you draw so nice with only using color pencils? Also, how is the writing done so nicely?

17. Kia`i Says:

how come you like to write books about animals?

18. Pono Says:

How do you draw so nice with color pencil? Is it hard to do?

19. keenyn Says:

What is the next book you are going to write?

20. Keanu Says:

Someday I’m going to be an artist just like Janell Cannon.

21. Puuwai Says:

I like your story because I could experence what was going to happen next it was very very very very exiding to meet you.I wonder what your next book is going to be about.It was very very nice to meet you.Some day I want to be an artist just like you.

22. Camille Says:

Pu’uwai,

Me too.

23. Janell Cannon Says:

Hi Everyone–

It was great fun visiting your class and to see the beautiful Kamehameha campus.

You were a wonderful audience, with interesting and insightful questions.

I am back at home and catching up on taking care of the trees and plants on the acre, and getting back to work on my seventh book, which is about a small dog who keeps being given up by people–and how he finds a good home.

I am using color pencil and airbrush for this book, like the others, and it is taking a long time to finish the art, as I am drawing things that I have never drawn before-like metal, concrete and other fixtures of the human world. I am used to drawing animals and plants.

Two weeks ago, I had an owl nest box installed on the acre, and hope that a pair of barn owls moves in. Can you imagine the fantastic pictures and video and stories that an owl family could inspire?

I hope that all is going well,

24. keenyn Says:

I liked when you came to are school .I wish you can come agin…………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

25. Camille Says:

I think the “owl” idea is pretty
    funny.When you make your books
    the airbrush and the colored pencil
    just seem UNREAL.

26. charlize Says:

It would be cool to have a owl nest box.

27. Mrs. Kawamata-Chang Says:

You 2nd graders are sooooo lucky to have heard a real-live author speak to you. I’m glad you read Janell Cannon’s books so that you could ask her thoughtful questions. I personally can’t wait to read Janell’s book on the little dog because when she was talking about it to us, I had TONS of personal connections!

🙂 Mrs. K-C

28. Noe Says:

Janell Canon looks like you REALLY
    like mother nature and I like your
    book Pinduli, Verdi, and Stellaluna. Write back!
    from,
    Noe.

29. Keanu Says:

Dear Janell Cannon,
    I hope your Barn owl nest is doing fine because Mrs.Nakamoto said that no barn owls moved in.

30. camille Says:

Keanu, Really? Either that or i wasn’t paying attention.