A Prayer for Peace

April 20th, 2009 by tinakamo

images-12.jpegimages1.jpeg

Today we learned about the true story of Sadako Sasaki and how she was affected by the atom bomb on Hiroshima during World War II. We also learned about the significance of the origami cranes that are created and brought to her statue in Hiroshima every year. What are your thoughts about the story? Your feelings? Any questions?

Posted in General Discussion, Literature Discussions, Social Studies | 21 Comments »

21 Responses

1. JACOB Says:

I wonder how meny cranes they are? I think they are 10,000 .I think that since she did all that work she should have lived.I think the messege was to not give up. That story made me sad.

2. Tanner Says:

I am guessing around 10,000 like jacob said.

3. Te Kaha Says:

I also think that story was sad and I can’t believe it was all done by us, the U.S.A.. If I were her I’d be sad also.

4. Hokupaa Says:

I think that the message in this book is to never give up. It was really nice that Sadako’s classmates to make more cranes for her.Mrs.Nakamoto, do you know how old Sadako was when she died?

5. Brycen Says:

I can’t believe we have to make
    1,000 cranes. I wonder how much
    there is like what Jacob said
    I think its over 300,0000.

6. Kala`i Says:

How big was the atom bomb?
    I wonder how long it took to make
    the statue of Sadako?
    I think the story was sad at the end because when Sadako die`s it
    makes me feel sad because she was
    only a little girl and she dies.
    I notice that the cover looks
    like a face because I can see eyes and the cranes body is the nose.
    I feel bad for Sadako because she really wanted to be a runner.

7. kalena Says:

I think that theres more than 10,000 cranes including the ones that Sadako made.I thought that she would have lived.I feel bad for the people who got sick and died from the bomb like Sadako and the boy.I wonder why we were fighting and why we threw the bomb.

8. Kiana Says:

Tanner and Jacob I think that there are more than 10,000. I think that
    there are 10,865, well it might be more or less than what I thought of
    and Tanner and Jacob. I wonder how much you think there are Mrs. Nakamoto and the all of you.

9. LA'AKEA Says:

I wonder how long SADAKO was in the hospital?

And how much cranes SADAKO made before she died.

10. Nadia Says:

I think we shouldn’t of dropped the
    atom bomb on Hiroshima. Then all these people would not be affected
    by it. I feel sad.:(

11. kaiya Says:

I think Sadako should have lived for a long time. Tanner, I think they made a lot more then 10,000. This author has a lot of details in the writing.I am sad that many kids and parents died when we dropped the bomb.

12. Ian Says:

I think there are 20 million cranes in the peace park. And you’re right the story was sad when the part that Sadako died, Jacob.

13. Naiya Says:

I wonder how old Sadako was when she died?I feel sad for Sadako and Kengi.I wonder if the author went to peace park in Hiroshima to make this story.The illustrator made really good illustrations.

14. Aulii Says:

I feel bad for the boy.
    I am guessing that there are over 15,000 cranes or like Jacob said.
    I wish that Miss. Jonell could make
    1,000 cranes so she can make a wish
    and get better if you are sick.

15. Chaeana Says:

I kind of feel sad that in one of our wars we dropded some kind of bomb on them and killed some people.I think it is cool that they write someone’s name on a paper and it goes in a lantern and you have to put it in the lake in the peace park on peace day.

16. Maia Says:

When Sadako’s friend Kenji died I felt very sad. And after Kenji died then Sadako died then I felt more sad! After Sadako died they made a statue of her holding a big golden crane.

17. Jacob Says:

I wonder who came up with that idea you know if you make a thousand Cranes your wish will be granted”?
    I feel bad that we dropped the atom bomb.

18. Kristin Says:

I feel bad for all of Sadoko’s freinds especially Chizuko because if I had a freind that I was really close to and she died I would cry because I would never ever see or talk to her again. I am also sad because there were so many people that we killed when we droped the Ataom bomb in Hiroshima (city in Japan).

19. cayli rose Says:

I almost cried at the end when she died but I thought it was sweet when her friends made the rest of the cranes for her.How did Sadako feel when the atom bomb came?
    I wonder if it would have efected me if I lived in Japan.
    Why did the bomb choose to give her the disese then instead of some time when she was a baby or when she was younger then when she got it.
    Maybe she had it the whole time and she just didn’t know it.

20. JACOB Says:

Yes Tekaha you are right if I was her I would be sad because it feels the same way as getting punched in the fase and when you get that feeling that where your sad reely sad.

21. Naiya Says:

I wonder who made up that you can make 1,000 origami cranes to have a long life because I don’t think that Sadakos friend made it up.