Playing with words

April 7th, 2009 by tinakamo

61smy1j74cl_sl160_pisitb-sticker-arrow-dptopright12-18_sh30_ou01_aa115_.jpg

Playing with words is a way of life for us in Papa Hawai’iloa!  Today I shared this book with our class.  Any thoughts?  Any play?  Use your comments on this post to play around with words the way we do in class!

Posted in General Discussion, Writing | 24 Comments »

24 Responses

1. kalena Says:

I wonder if theres the saying dont let the cat out of the bag or get those monkeys off your back.I wonder how making sayings and playing with words got popurler or who invented the first saying.

2. Kala`i Says:

Mrs.Nakamoto how do you do all
    this work with this monkey on
    your back?I wonder if playing with words are going to make our
    class famuos to.

3. Chaeana Says:

Well today at home I did not like the idea that I had to stay home but I enjoyed it because I got to read my new book I bought,Diary Of A Wimpy Kid the last straw.I am already on the 80 something page. When I was reading a page and it said ”I caught my DAD RED handed” and I told my MOM that we are talking about playing with words in school. Well by the way I am coming back to school tomorrow but something happened to my toe today so I might be wearing something different on one of my foot.

4. Cayli Rose Says:

Two days ago I caught my daddy red handed.

He told my brother to turn around and he said that my puppy had somthing in her mouth and when he was about to bite my brother’s doughnut I caught him and I told him about what we were learning in school.
    My daddys not sopose to eat sugar!

If I wrote a story about this,I would write the words red handed in gigantic red letters.

5. caylirose Says:

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!
    I am still in Hilo but I saw something that I have never seen in my life…a chameleon!
    Then I thought of a new saying,
    change your color to white and start again.
    I think you should only use this saying when someone is mad but who knows, someone might find another way to use it.
    Did anyone else find a saying or make one up?

6. Naiya Says:

Every time my mommy gets mad I get my hand and wipe it across my face and say “WIPE THAT TOMATO OF YOUR FACE MOMMY!” I wonder what other metaphors we can learn or read in the dictionary of IDIOMS.

7. Naiya Says:

Today when I was watching Spongebob I was wondering if when Sandy said she was playing like a drum roll when she was kidding, was that a metaphor?

8. Kiana Says:

Hey Mrs. Nakamoto,
    I heard another playing with words sentences, stop adding fuel to the fire.

9. Nadia Says:

I know one! Grab the new new news not the old! 🙂

10. Naiya Says:

I was watching Suit Life of Zack and Cody today. Mr.Mosby was hiding behind the wall.When Zack came downstairs Mr.Mosby poped out from behind the wall and said “I caught you red handed!” but Zack was sleep walking so he couldn’t hear Mr.Mosby and he startwed to put the furniture in front of the door.

11. Hokupaa Says:

One time I found my sister and her friend in my room Then I said “I caught you red handed!

12. stacy Says:

Once I saw a Hannah montana and Miley caught Jackson red-handed when he tried to get away with getting test answer from a friend. 🙁

13. cayli rose Says:

Hey stacy and nadia,
    How do you get those icons from?
    I saw the term “Red handed” in two diary of a wimpy kid books.

14. Chaeana Says:

Well once I herd the saying I got caught red-handed I just kept hearing the saying and I just found out my answer .That saying is kind of papular.

15. cayli rose Says:

As soon as I learned what the saying I caught you red handed means I started hearing it alot so thats kinda weird.

P.S.
    THE BLOG ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. stacy Says:

hey aunty Pua,
    cool IDIOM you made up: onolicitious!

17. stacy Says:

you know Cayli,
    I don’t know where I got it from, all I did was 🙁 or 🙂

18. stacy Says:

Cayli what I ment was you press shift and the two dots and shift 9 or you can do shift the two dots and shift 0. ok!

19. cayli rose Says:

Ok stacy,
    Like this 🙂 and this :(?

20. cayli rose Says:

Oh some thing went wrong.
    🙂

21. cayli rose Says:

I have one,
    Freeze the flliper,
    and don”‘ stop climbing till you reach the top.

22. stacy Says:

Yes, exactly Cayli Rose! 🙂

23. stacy Says:

Guys, Me, my teamates from soft ball, & my coaches/My soft ball team made this one up: stick with it. It means when a ball goes past you you go run with it and try to catch it.

24. stacy Says:

Hey I found out how to do something really cool: !:0