It’s Pi Day!

It’s Pi Day!  What’s Pi day?  Pi day is celebrated annually on March 13 in honor or 3.14,  the first digits in the number Pi.  Pi represents the ratio of a circles circumference to it’s diameter.  Visual?  I like this explanation:

Here are some resources that can be used to celebrate Pi day:

Flocabulary’s Pi Day Activities
I know I’ve mentioned this before, but I just love flocabulary!  This resource includes three videos as well as six lesson ideas.  My favorite is baking a Pi Pie!  Right now, Flocabulery is having a free, unlimited school wide access deal through June!  Now’s the time to check them out!

Cybrary Man’s Math Page
I like cybrary man because he does all the hard work for us.  He has a great list of Pi Day resources on his Math page.

TeachPi.Org
Click on the activities link for a great list of Pi activities!

Exploring Pi
This Scholastic resource is for grades 1-8 and includes the history of Pi and well as fun activities to use with students about Pi.

Pi Across America
Another great resource with activities and information about Pi!

#piday
Find resources and activities on twitted by using #piday.  Not on twitter?  No worries!  Just google “#piday” and you’ll have access to all the piday awesomeness!

Did you know that Einstein was born on 3/14?

Did you know that July 22 is Pi Approximation? If you use the day/month date format, July 22 is 22/7 and 22/7 is an approximation of Pi.  Who knew?

Thousand digits of Pi Image By Tom Murphy (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons