What’s Your PLN Like?

Diagram by: Alec Couros

I have only recently become more savvy in learning through my Personal Learning Network (PLN).  I used to spend hours on the internet, hunting for information.

The old me:

• Googled lesson plans
  • Rarely bookmarked
  • Visited only my favorite resources…sometimes (EdutopiaT.H.E Journal,eSchool NewsTeacher Tube, etc.)
  • Only used Facebook for socializing
  • Had a Twitter account because I heard about it, but I never really used it
  • Wasted a lot of time looking for that “awesome website I saw a couple months ago, but I don’t remember what it was titled”
  • Shared “stuff”…but only in my school

Now I:

• Still Google Lesson Plans, but I know how to use quotes and + and – now AND have you seen all the cool Google tools on the left?
  • Bookmark the sites I need to access for work
  • Use iGoogle as a reader to bring the information to me
  • Follow my favorites on Facebook (GlogsterEdublogs, etc.)
  • Use twitter to follow Ed. Tech experts (and more…)
  • Use Later This so I don’t loose that awesome website that I don’t have time to read right now but don’t want to loose it…
  • Share globally through my blog, google sites, classroom 2.0, wikis and more
Jeff UTecht’s Stages of Personal Learning Networks Adoption

If you look at Jeff Utecht’s Stages of Personal Learning Network Adoption, I think I go back and forth between Know it All and Balance.  I often find myself wanting to learn more and more and more, and then there are days when I’m all good and know I can tap in when I’m ready.

I think I manage my PLN pretty well, but I also know I have a lot to learn.  There are tools out there that can help me manage it all better, and the best is probably yet to come, and then something better will come along.

What’s your Personal Learning Network like?

7 thoughts on “What’s Your PLN Like?

1. Goodness there is lots to think about… I didn’t realize that much of the information that I search for, share, or develop through the web is no longer “surfing” rather redefined as PLN! Cool.

Lets See things that I’ve done in the past, Ning, Skype, Twitter, blogging, wiki, list serves, moo, mud, chat… I still do most of these things, but I think its the management of these things that is my biggest issue. At times it tends to get too much too fast. I have truly begun to embrace igoogle… with my students google apps… and personally twitter, blogger, web design, and yes even facebook {kicking and screaming}

Over all, I found the article to be very informative. Rss feeds always puzzled me, now I know a bit more. I think its fantastic how we are able to instantly access information, cross reference materials and learn what you want in an instant. I know when I need to find out anything, I use my phone and “magic” I’ve got the answer. I wonder though, how archaic what I am doing now will be next year… {I haven’t ninged in a while… } hummm? I better tweet this?

1. Too funny! I told my Mom, “iPhone is Power” because I have all the knowledge I need right in my pocket! Iʻm with you, it all gets overwhelming at times, but Iʻm loving the ride 🙂 Mahalo for your thoughtful response. 🙂

2. After reading the article, I realized I have heard or read about all the things in the article but I have not used any of these. I do search for things on the internet if I need to but most of my technology and library info comes to me through email. I don’t think I have a PLN. Taking this class has made me realize I need to take advantage of the info resources out there. I am making strides to move forward…I guess I have been comfortable where I have been since I have receiving info to keep me current through email. This class has given me a lot to think about on how I deliver info to our students who are so tech savy.

3. After reading the article “Grow Your Personal Learning Network,” I feel like I have been doing pretty well in the realm of managing my Personal Learning Network. I use, with varying degrees of success, text messaging, Twitter, Facebook, Google Reader, LiveBinders, Google Docs, Tumblr, Laterthis, Edmodo, blogs, e-mail, picasa, wallwisher, and iGoogle.

On the level of personally maintained synchronous connections, I find that being new to KS is forcing me to rebuild this PLN. Back at Waimea Middle, I had a number of individuals I could call or text when I needed information specific to my campus. I am slowly rebuilding this PLN to be more specific to KS as I build relationships with my colleagues. I do continue to consult my former colleagues, but not as frequently, many of them have moved to the level of semisynchronous connections.

On the level of Personally and Socially maintained semisynchronous connections, I have a number of ways that I gather information. Through e-mail, tweets and facebook wall posts, I maintain personal and professional conversations with individuals.

Dynamically maintained asynchronous connections include tools like Google Reader and Later This. My google reader has proven to be quite useful, allowing me to categorize the information I receive so that I can differentiate between personal and professional items.

The biggest challenge is categorizing content between professional & personal. The two worlds are not so easily intertwined. I think my next steps will involve creating separate accounts for each of these worlds, this will allow me to more easily change “hats” between the worlds of professional and personal. I have started this process by creating a twitter account solely for professional use.

I consider myself to be a “techy” individual, but I know that I still have a lot to learn.

4. After reading the article, I feel like a novice at technology. I still have to collaborate with colleagues to learn new things. I am happy that I enrolled in this class, because it forces me to reach beyond my comfort zone.
    Before this class, my extent in this cyber world was email, facebook, family blogs. In my class I used a class Wiki once, and other than that I Photshop, email, garage band, imovie. Not to much “surfing”.
    Now, I am trying new things like glogster, google doc,my class blog. I am still afraid, and always try to get help and clarification before I take that next step. Like I am still taking baby steps with “twitter”.
    As for My PLN, I guess it is a “work in progress”

5. I feel “way” behind in many ways, not to mention PLN’s. It’s been a while since I’ve even attempted to be in the modern age. I’ve had an iphone for a few years, but only recently discovered the use of “apps”. After reading this article I can honestly say that I’m in the dark ages. However I have a flashlight and I’m working my way through this world. This dog may be old, but I still have few tricks I wants to learn! I enjoyed the quote “Think like a Teacher…Teach like a Thinker”