Lunalilo Home Field Trip

February 1st, 2011 by kiterai

Students, you did a maika’i job today at Lunalilo Home.  Please take some time to write a well composed paragraph about some of the things you learned and enjoyed on today’s field trip.  What was a significant moment of the field trip?  What was your favorite part of the field trip?  What are some things that you learned?  (Due by Thursday, 2.3.11).

Posted in Kamehameha Math Trail | 91 Comments »

91 Responses

1. Keola N Says:

On our Lunalilo Homes Field trip I learned what the meaning of pride is. I think the significant point of our field trip was when the aunty stood up in the audience. It really showed her Hawaiian Pride. When we were singing Hawaii Aloha she stood up loud and proud. She showed by example what pride is all about. My favorite part of the field trip was the part when we got to talk to the uncles and aunties. There was one very funny uncle in a UH Warriors Hat. I also learned he went to the same High School as my dad. It was Mckinley High School. I learned the real meaning of pride. This is a wonderful experience.

2. Abby P. Says:

I really enjoyed going to Lunalilo home. It was a lot better than I expected. One thing that I liked about this field trip was that we got to sign for the kupuna. Another thing that I really enjoyed was being able to spend time with the kupuna and talk story with them. I enjoyed this because we got to learn about them and what they liked to do when they were growing up. I learned about how there everyday was like and how it is different from our lives today. Also, I learned that even thought he kupuna are much older than I am, I am still connected to them in some way. One of the ways is that they have grand children and great grand children that are in Kamehameha. And some of the kupuna actually knew some of our families are are from the same places as us. I thought this field trip was very fun and even though we weren’t meant to really learn anything, I still learned from the kupuna. I would love to go back for another field trip to visit them again.

3. Leimana Says:

Today, the Lama students had a terrific, and outstanding field trip to lunalio homes center located in Hawaii Kai. I believe this was my 4th or 5th time visiting Lunalilo Home throughout my entire education at Kamehameha Schools. Every time that I go to Lunalilo Home, I think of it as a privelige because the Kupuna there, represent the people who once lived in the Hawaii. They are the ones who know everything, and have experienced most of what Hawaii has to offer. Many of them lived in the times of WW2, and also before the technological advancements. It is interesting to listen to what life was like in their days, and compare the simple things that they lived with compared to the lifestyle we have today. A significant part of the field trip for me was when I saw how bright the faces of the Kupuna were as we sang for them. It seemed as though all of their faces just lit up, and I could see how much better we made their day! That made me feel really special. My favorite part of the field trip was probably being able to sing to the Kupuna. There was even one Kupuna who pretty much knew all the words to every song that we sang. She was very enthusiastic and that was a great reward because I could see that she aprreciated our company. Some things that Iearned is that Lunalilo Home has the capacity to hold 42 residents and of right now there are currently 40 people living here. Another thing that I found out is that Lunalilo was originally in the Kewalo area, where Roosevelt High School stands today. Today, the home rests upon 5 acres of land in Hawaii Kai. I really enjoyed today because I am older, and actually can talk to the Kupuna, and understand them better than when I was younger and visiting. This was also the best connection that I have made with the people living here. Today was an amazing experience that I will never forget.

4. Kinion Says:

Lunalilo Homes field trip was great. A very significant part of this field trip was to have this opportunity to visit those who might not have anyone who visits them a lot so this opportunity was great for me to have the experience to meet the old Hawai‘i and for them to have company and to meet the modern Hawai‘i. I enjoyed aunty Anna Cazimero who was really into her Hawaiian culture and how cool she was. The only person to stand during Hawaii Aloha and scolded everyone else who didn’t. I also like how she clapped for us, it was like she really appreciated this opportunity and that she enjoyed her time with us. I like uncle Harry who is really funny always cracking a joke. The other uncle who was wearing the reed aloha shirt in the second row was also funny and cool. He worked for the DOE Equipment Custodian and he was also in the army during WWII. He was also a fighter as he told me people used to tease him because of his Japanese race and he would break their jaw. He also told me his experience how he has no muscle in his right knee and leg because during the war, a tree fell on his leg and broke every bone in his leg. He even showed me his leg and knee. I enjoyed this field trip and was glad I had the opportunity to meet them.

5. Shayla Says:

Yesterday, we visited Lunalilo Homes to visit the kupuna. I thought it was super fun. We got to sing for them, enjoy their company, and play bingo with them. I really enjoyed just talking to them and listening to their stories. I think we all sang/played the instruments super well (; Although at some parts we were kind of confused, over all I think we did super good (: I thought it was really awesome how the kupuna also sang for us. Something that was super cool was that a bunch of the kupuna either went to Kamehameha Schools, or have family that go here. Another cool thing was that some of the kupuna were from Big Island too. My favorite part of the field trip would just be seeing all of the smiles on the kupuna’s faces (: Haha, the bingo was pretty good too. Some of the things I learned was that the ages of the residents at Lunalilo range from 52-99 years old. I also learned that it cost $4,300 a month to stay there. Lastly, I learned that although some kupuna may not hear well, or walk well, they are still happy and they still go along with their days. I just think that is super awesome, they are super strong. I really enjoyed this field trip.

6. Dylan L Says:

Yesterday we went to Lunalilo homes and we sang songs to our kupuna. They loved them so much that they decided to sing some songs to us to. The most significant part of the field trip singing to our kupuna. The best part was getting to know some of the Kupuna. One of the kupuna that we spoke to was Flo. She spoke about how she likes to sow dresses. The things that we learned from our kupuna is that some of our kupuna don’t stay there. One kupuna that I spoke to who’s name was Rita was from Maui. I was grateful of the presence of the kupuna because we one day will be like that.

7. Brittney A Says:

Yesterday, Pu’ulu Lama visited Lunalilo Homes. I’ve been to Lunalilo Homes about three times, and I see new and familiar faces every time I go.We sang various songs like alu like, ua mau, hawaii aloha, menehune beach bum boogie, kawaipunahele, white sandy beach, and others. I found this field trip very interesting. I learned that even though the kupuna were elderly, they still have a little bit of the energy in them. They also sang songs to us. They sang, “You Are My Sunshine”, and “Old Hawaii”. After we sang and introduced ourselves, we got to talk story with the kupuna. I learned a lot about them just by talking for a short while. One kupuna’s name was Mike Watanabe. He told Lahela and I that he was from moloka’i, and he loved to go fishing. He said that he likes to catch whatever’s in the waters at the time, with no specific fish in mind. I thought that he was very friendly, and nice. Another kupuna that we visited was Rita. Rita is from maui, and just got to Lunalilo Homes about a week before we visited. Both Rita, and Mike Watanabe shared with us that they have children, who reside on the island that they’re from. A significant moment of this field trip for me was when the kupuna sang to us. I found that very touching. I loved every part of this field trip so much. Some things I learned was that even though they’re old, they have much to share with us young kids. I also learned to be patient with them since it takes time for them to hear us, and to understand what we’re saying. I really enjoyed this field trip, and I really hope we get to visit the kupuna, and staff of Lunalilo Homes very soon.

8. Kawai Says:

Yesterday, we went to Lunalilo homes. I had a wonderful time interacting with the kupuna. I learned that some of them enjoy spending time with their grand-childrien/family, making bracelets, jamming out on their instruments, and playing bingo! I enjoyed singing for the kupuna and seeing how happy they were listening to our beautiful singing. A memorable moment that I will never forget is when we got to play bingo. My kupuna was very lively which made the game much more fun. I also loved talking to them, they seemed to enjoy talking to us to. This trip was worth a day with kupuna! I hope I will get another chance to revisit them in my lifetime.

9. Christine N. Says:

A significant moment in the field trip was finding a kupuna to talk to. The first elder I tried to start a conversation with hadn’t wanted to talk and she’d said she was tired. Unfortunately I didn’t get much of a life story from her, but I hope she’s doing better today. My favorite part of the program was playing Bingo with a lady I had been talking to. Although we lost miserably at Bingo, she wasn’t a sore loser and instead we had good conversation. This lady I’d been talking to went to our school and told me that, after graduating, she worked for the airlines as a flight attendant. I also spoke to a man who was born in 1918. He said he’d been in World War II and had gone to Italy to fight against the Germans. Sadly, he didn’t get a chance to enjoy his time in Italy, in fact, he’d been injured and was able to show me the part of his leg where he was hurt. I also got to learn about his one child whose name I have forgotten, but I’m glad he could tell me about his son. The elder I spoke to made my day, especially because I hope my own grandma will be able to live as long as them, hopefully not as forgetful though.

10. Cody W Says:

Given the opportunity to speak to our kupuna was a gift and a way to show our appreciation for them and all they have done for Hawai’i. Without their wisdom and knowledge, our Hawaiian culture and heritage wouldn’t be thriving like it is today. I had a long conversation with one of the uncle’s (my friend and I). He spoke of where he was from and how he attended McKinley High School. He made things interesting with many jokes and some of the boys around him just couldn’t stop laughing. Uncle Harry was his name. I will never forget my experience meeting him and some of the other kupuna. I think that this was a learning experience for us, Pu’ulu Lama, and our wonderful kupuna. It taught us students how to interact with people like them and it taught them how to interact with people like us. Learning from Uncle Harry will be a memory in my life that I will never forget. I hope we will have another chance to participate in this kind of field trip again. Meeting Uncle Harry will always be a big part of my life.

11. Mikiala Says:

On Tuesday me and my Lama classmates went on a field trip to Lunalilo Home. I enjoyed seeing the smiles on the kupunas faces while singing the Hawaiian Songs. I enjoyed listening to them sing Old Hawaii and You are my sunshine. I also enjoyed talking to the Kupuna. One of the kupuna played You are My Sunshine for us once more and it was really cute. I learned that the oldest kupuna at the home is 99 years old, and the youngest is 50 years old. I also learned that some kupuna aren’t able to talk and some of them aren’t in the mood to talk to you. A significant moment was when we did the last song, Hawaii Aloha and one kupuna stood up and sang along and tried to make the other kupuna stand up as well. My favorite part of the field trip was when we got to listen to the kupuna sing there songs. Honestly, i would love to go again.

12. Ashlyn Says:

Going to Lunalilo Homes was a great experience for me. It felt like an easy way to connect to my elders. It was very relaxing to exchanges songs between the kupuna, and us. I really loved how we played games with them, and got to communicate with them, and how some of them were teaching us lessons such as writing our name on all of our items, to prevent things getting stolen. I know that I have learned a lot from my kupuna. One of my favorite times from the field trip was playing Bingo, and winning my elder klenex. I never really knew how much fun Bingo could really be!

13. Breann Says:

Our team recently went on a field trip to the Lunalilo Homes. It was a great experience and I learned a lot about the kupuna. While we were there we sang, talked, and played bingo with the elders. I liked how we sang to the kupuna then they sang to us. I found that it was fun to communicate with the ancestors. I met a guy that had speaked fluent Hawaiian, who then came to Oahu from Moloka’i because he wanted to learn more English. That must of been an amazing role in his life. He had went to school in Oahu as well. I would say that the most memorable moment would be the time that we were singing the many songs that we had planned for them. I say this because when we were singing the songs I saw this one kupuna that with a guitar with big smiles on her faces trying to sing along. That just made all of us proud. While this was occurring I could just feel the power that we were holding and sharing with the kupuna. I think that the singing portion of this field trip was the most important to me. Also a favorite part on the field trip was being able to play bingo. This is because the person that I was playing with wanted to win and he understood that he would get a prize. Although, in the end he actually got something so that was good. He was working towards it so I was happy that he got a reward for participating in this game. It was fun because we got to play bingo too, meaning that we could also play with them. The whole point was to let them have a gift. I learned so many things just from talking to one guy. When we were communicating with the old hawaiian to the young hawaiian I found out a lot of things from one guy. He had to go through a step in his life were he had to learn a new language. He had to move from one island to another. Anyway, I found that their are many things that go on in the home. I would like to thank everyone who put this field trip together. I had a lot of fun and I hope that we can go again sometime.

14. Kula Says:

I liked the field trip to Lunalilo Homes. It was fun to go and sing for them and I feel blessed to be given this opportunity to go and talk to people who are probably wise and know more than me about certain things. The singing was fun because I enjoyed singing songs with my friends. I met one person name Augustan. Although he never played any sports in school (St. Louis) he studied a lot and became really smart. After he graduated from college (majoring in geophysics) he traveled to different parts of the world including to places like Ohio or to places as far away as Japan. Although it wasn’t the easiest thing to talk to some of them, the ones that I did talk to were friendly and I enjoyed talking to them, like Augustan. I’m glad that I got this opportunity to go and sing to the kupuna because I don’t know how much visitors they get, for all I know, we could be their only visit for the entire year. I feel that it wasn’t a waste of time and that we did a good job even if we just made one person happy with our visit to Lunalilo Homes.

15. Sophie Says:

I enjoyed talking to the kapuna even though it was hard to hear them. My favorite moment was when we were talking to a kapuna named Dorothy, we couldn’t think of what to say so I randomly said mountain, she just looked at me like I crazy it was sort of funny. A significant part was when the instrumentalist were all wondering how the song was going to end and how Kumu Mia was saying we were off but she was going to fast for the singers. I learned that Dorothy has been at Lunalilo home for 2 months, I really do not know how to talk to people older than my by 20+ years, Aukai put his hand on the chair where the lady peed, Charles was a swimmer “back in the day”, when Dorothy was in 8th grade she had a bunch of homework also and there were 2 people who couldn’t hear at all, it was sort of sad. I had a bunch of fun maybe we could do the same thing but this time with the preschoolers! 😀

16. Spencer K Says:

2 days ago we went to Lunalilo home and we sang for the Kupuna. I had a lot of fun because some of the Kupuna were really funny. Some were sharing some of their life experience’s. I hope that some day we could go back and see those Kupuna’s again. I learned some things and one of those things is that Lunalilo home is a pretty cheap place to live. Also that the age’s range from 50’s to about 99. Thats pretty nuts. That was a really fun trip and I wish we could go again some time soon.

17. Kameryn Says:

First of all i would like to thank all those who made this field trip possible. I had a wonderful time singing, talking to the kupuna and playing bingo. I especially enjoyed talking to Uncle Walter. Casey and I spent almost the whole time with Uncle Walter. We got to learn a lot about him and what he liked to do. We also got to hear him play on his ukulele and listen to him sing. He even let us play and sing along. It was a very fun experience for us young Hawaiian to mix with the old Hawaiian. I think we made a really good impression on the kupuna because we brought back some memories of when they were younger and could have the chance to spend time with us. Again i would like to thank all the Lama kumu and students for all the hard work to make this field trip possible. 🙂

18. Ha'aheo Says:

Just recently, the Lama team took a fieldtrip to Lunalilo Home in Hawai‘i Kai. Our agenda consisted of singing, visiting, and bingo playing. Each were all filled with fun and cheerful noises from the kupuna, especially an elderly “aunty” in the second row. She was really nice and kind and cheerful. She was just the first of the people we got to meet.
    During our visiting time, I had the chance to meet five kupuna (two of which shunned me). However, I got to meet two uncles who both went to Saint Louis. They were really nice and welcoming. They talked about their childhood and where they grew up. I didn’t quite catch their names (they sort of mumbled it) so I addressed them as “Uncle”. One of them could play ukulele and joined in with playing ‘Sons of Hawai‘i”. It was kind of funny since he was a Saint Louis alumnus.
    A significant moment on the fieldtrip, for me, was when we got to visit and the kupuna were so happy. It made me happy. My favorite part of the fieldtrip was playing bingo. There were a lack of kupuna so I played by myself and almost got bingo in 5 different directions! It was frustrating sometimes. But, it was fun. Some things that I learned were that kupuna really enjoy company and that they are pretty fun to be with.
    I had a really great time and hope to go again.

19. Reyn Says:

Lunalilo homes was just a great and enjoyable field trip. I learned so much from just one field trip. I learned a lot about myself and others. The most significant moment from this field trip was when we were able to sing to the kupuna and they were able to sing to us. No matter how old they were they still did there best and it was still enjoyable. I enjoyed listening and having a conversation with some of the kupuna. Aunty Anna was very fun to talk to. I learned that she played softball and volleyball when she was younger, just like me. I think we have so much in common with some of the kupuna we just have to look deeper. I learned other kupuna’s names, what they do on their free time and other things that are very unique about them. Lastly my favorite part of this field trip was when we got to play Bingo with the kupuna. Haha some of them are quite competitive but it was just so great to watch them enjoy themselves and have a good time. I would just like to thank Kumu Porreca, and all the Lama teachers for putting together this field trip. I would like to thank Aukai for contributing his time to work with us on our singing. Lastly I would like to say that I hope we go back to Lunalilo homes some day.

20. Summer Says:

The field trip that we went on the other day was a great experience for all. As the worker said, the old Hawaii was able to come together with the young Hawaii. We got to visit the kupuna and talk to them about different things. We sang for them and they really enjoyed our voices. There was one lady who stood out, her name was Anna Cazimero. I talked to her a lot and we found out that she was the step mother to the Cazimero Brothers. She was the last kupuna we had a conversation with so we ended up staying with her and playing bingo with her. I thought that we had a good conversation and she kept reminding us that we made her day and that we were her “sunshine”. Overall I feel that the field trip went well and I would like to thank all of the people who made it possible.

21. Javin Young Says:

Lunalilo home was a fun but short field trip. I liked the performance Lama did at singing for the people who lived in the Home. I found out that the oldest person there was 99 years old. I think that is amazing to be that old but I would rather be dead already because your life is basically nothing to do. The guy that everybody found interseting was Harry. Harry was very ethousiastic and he had one 8 pack solid. He was very funny and made a lot laugh.

22. Kaulu Says:

Recently, the Lama team visited Lunalilo home. At Lunalilo home, we performed a couple songs and then later conversed with the kupuna living in Lunalilo home. We also played bingo with the kupuna, which was fun and enjoyable. It was overall a fun a time. I would have to say that my most memorable and significant moment that happened on this field trip was being able to talk with the kupuna. my favorite part of the field trip was getting snack, because usually we don’t get snack. Something that I learned is that you always have pride in being Hawaiian.

23. Nikolai Says:

I had a great time at Lunalilo homes, and it made me think what would happen to me if I was old. The people there were cheerful and happy that we came. Even this one lady I did ot get a chance to meet, she was so happy, and full of spirit. Even last year too. I enjoyed playing bingo, and I enjoyed talking to the elders about their lives. I enjoyed going there and it was a great experience, and I would like to go again with them. I also enjoyed to sing.

24. Kaiulani Says:

The other day we went to visit Lunalilo Home to visit the kupuna. I really enjoyed going to visit them and sing to them it was a very unique experience that I thought was very special for both us and them. One thing I really enjoyed was visiting with one of the kupuna Aunty Gwen. She was quite funny and quirky. She gave us very good life lessons though, telling us to think about what we do before we actually do it and a lot of other ‘interesting’ advice that you could only receive from a person like her. She told us about her experiences at Lunalilo Homes and about her dogs (who are dead). In the end it was just a very enjoyable day and I really want to go back there one day.

25. Bryson Says:

On Feb. 1, 2011 we went to the lunalilo homes to visit our kūpuna’s. The visit was really fun because we got to do a lot of things like we sang for the kūpuna, we talk stories to them, and we got to play bingo with him. The funniest kūpuna I met was uncle Harry. He was really funny he had a good sense of humor. I liked how he got mostly all of the boys attention, and every boy was around him and he was telling us jokes that were really funny, and he had a lot of stories to tell us and we had a lot of stories to tell him. I learned that the oldest person in the lunalilo homes was about 99 years old and he is still going strong. The youngest in the lunalilo homes was about 52 years old. In the lunalilo homes policy they must be at least 62 or older. The reason for her staying is because she has a type of disease that can allow her to stay in a retirement home. I also learned that only our Hawaiian kūpuna can stay in the homes because it was originated for our Hawaiian people not other people. We also played bingo with our kūpuna. The person I was with uncle Harry didn’t care if he wins bingo he just wanted to have some fun with us which is really cool. He told us how he liked how we cheered when they called out every number we had on the bingo board. Uncle Harry said he was also a star athlete at Mckinley High School. He said he loved playing football, basketball, and baseball. I also learned that Lunalilo homes is about 5 acres and can hold up to 42 people in capacity. I told my kūpuna I will visit him again I’m sure I can keep that promise. Overall I liked this field trip. I liked how we got to relate with our kūpuna. I liked how we got engaged with them. I thank the Lama teachers for this wonderful field trip to visit our kūpuna because I learned based on their information that none of their family ever visits them. The kūpuna actually has to leave and visit them at their own house. Uncle harry was comparing me to his own grandchildren and I was sad that he couldn’t even see his kids or his grandkids. This is what we did at Lunalilo Homes. I hope I can go their again sometime in my future.

26. Kealani B. Says:

On February 1st, Pu’ulu Lama got the chance to visit the Lunalilo home and visit with the Kupuna who live there. I really enjoyed seeing their faces when we were singing and talking with them was enjoyable also. I learned that some of them have things in common with us but others are very different. They have a lot to teach us. I think my favorite part was when I played the piano to entertain the kupuna I was talking to. She didn’t feel like playing Bingo so she started walking away from us and the nurse asked us to watch her. I really enjoyed this field trip to the Lunalilo Home.

27. Makoa Says:

On Feb, 1st 2010 the Lama team headed down to Hawaii Kai to spend quality time with the kupuna. This field trip in my opinion was great, at. I thought this field trip was great because we got to spend time with the kupuna and sing to/with them. I had a great time because it reminds me of when my tutu was alive and we used to cruise with her whenever we had free time. I also liked this field trip because it showed me that these old Hawaiians have pride of who they are. It also taught me to respect the kupuna even more because they are the old Hawaii and we are the new. Overall this field trip was touching inside.

28. Kainalu Asam Says:

On February 1, 2011 the lama team went to lunalilo home. This field trip was very educational and taught me many things. One thing that this field trip taught me about is that lunalilio home is not cheap to go to and stay at. Another thing that i learned that as you get older you can still express you feelings in a different way. One of the significant moments that i say was an aunty stood up to clap for us when we finished singing, that showed that you can express your feelings. My favorite part of the field trip was when we got to go speak to the kupuna because i was talking to an uncle and there was other people by me and he introduced him self and we introduced us and he was actually good friends with rayns brother.
    This field trip was great and if i were to go again i would prepare more and bring some gifts that they would greatly appreciate.

29. Alohi G. Says:

What a significant moment that i thought was memorable was when the kupuna stood up to sing HAWAII ALOHA. I learned that these kupunas really respected this song and her culture. Also it showed her respect for HAWAII itself. My favorite part about this field trip was when we made conversations with them because one of the kupunas that i talked to was really funny and energetic. He talked about his life as a kid and how he lived. He also showed me his abs. He was really cool. I learned that you have to be hawaiian to live in lunalilo homes and you have too be 65 years or older. I really enjoyed this field trip and realize how much knowledge our kupuna have. I realized that kleenex is a big deal. I hope i can go again someday.

30. Kirei Says:

Although I was absent when my class got to go to Lunalilo Home, I heard that it was a very enjoyable experience. What my friends told me they learned when they went there was that the kupuna lived in times very different than us and didn’t have many of the things we do today. I also heard that they learned about their kupuna’s life stories and such. I know that if I were to have gone, I would have enjoyed being able to sing to them and bring a little joy to their day. I know that a lot of my friends found it really heartwarming being able to sing and make the kupuna happy. They also really liked hearing about all their stories. I hope soon I will be able to go to Lunalilo home and share this same experience with all my friends.

31. kaulana .w Says:

on February 1 , 2011 we went to go visit all the kupuna at lunalilo homes. i had a great time with the kupuna but our performance was a little poor but all in all we did a great job and i would just like to say thank you to Mrs.Porrecca and Aukai for getting us ready:). and i loved hearing all the great stories that they had. one of the kupuna told me and my partners about how he was in world war 2. and how he got a really cool scar on his leg. and he also had told us about how he would always fight for what was right. he told us about how he would get picked on and beat up but he fought back and fought for us in world war 2. i had a really good time there they are some really nice people and they have some really interesting stories. and lastly i would like to say thank you to the people at lunalilo homes for letting us come into there home and share song and conversation with them.

PS. thank you to all the lama teachers who made this happen.

32. Kayla Says:

The Lunalilo Home Field Trip was very fun. The kupuna sang The Song of Old Hawaii and You Are My Sunshine. They were marvelous! In high school I wonder if everyone will visit them again. After the singing each student introduced themselves then the teachers introduced them selves and then the students dispersed into their groups to chat with some of the kupuna. I met Aunty Dorothy and learned much about her. Like her favorite color is green and she has great-grandchildren. After that we played Bingo with her and she won a box of tissues, yay! Then we sang another song and said bye to the kupuna, and then sat on the grass. Finally, we boarded a couple of school buses and were on our way back to school. Thanks to everyone who made this field trip possible and thank you to the kupuna

33. Javin Says:

On Tuesday, we went to lunalilo home and connected with the kupuna. One of the kupuna that I met was Annie. She was really kind and was really good at the Guitar. “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.” I learned a lot about the kupuna also. One of them was also in World War 1. I also learned from one of the kupuna that he was from Molokai and likes to play music. He doesn’t look very old at all for his age. Overall I met a couple of very interesting things. I also learned a lot about life. That you should enjoy life to the fullest like some of them said to me. It was really fun playing bingo too. My kupuna was really “Into it”, he even hoped up and down (JUST KIDDING). He made it really fun and very interesting. Even though our Bingo card sucked ha ha. He still got a tissue box.I guess you can really learn a lot from the old Hawaii. This field trip was really enjoyable and fun. Thanks to the kupuna and to the lama teachers for making this possible.

34. Jade Says:

This field trip was very interesting. i would like to thank the teachers for taking us there, and the kupuna and staff at lunalilo homes for accepting us and taking time for us there. Some things that i learned there is that the youngest member that they have there is in her 50’s, and the oldest is a 99 year old man. Usually they dont accept people in their 50s because the age limit is 60 something but she has a dissorder so they take her in occasionaly. A significant moment on this feild trip was when i was sitting down with one lady, and she was telling me how great it was to be young and to take advantage of youth because when you get older you won’t be able to do a lot of the things that you can do now. For example like sports because your body just isnt in shape anymore and things like that. My favorite part of the field trip was when we played BINGO because it was fun. when we were playing bingo me and my partner won, but she didn’t want her tissue box so she kept trying to give it back to me.. but she kept it eventually. This field trip was really fun and i hope we can go back another time during this year 🙂 😀

35. Moriah Says:

On February 1, the Lama team visited Lunalilo Home. It was nice to see all the kapuna and do something for them. We sang several songs that we rehearsed in chorals and after that some of them sang a couple songs for us. It was really cool to see how enthusiastic some of them were. After singing we went and socialized with them, asking their name, where they were from, etc. At first, my friends and I didn’t know what to say and weren’t very successful with actually communicating or having a conversation. After trying to talk to a few people we met Aunty Gwen and we talked to her for a while. She was really friendly, funny, and nice. She told us somethings about her and her childhood and even gave us some tips. I think that maybe she and Kaulu are related. This was my favorite part of the visit because we actually got to connect with the kupuna and get to know them. We also played Bingo with her but we never really came close to winning anything. That was okay though because she wasn’t very thrilled about it and didn’t want to play. I learned the ages of kupuna at Lunalilo Home range from 55-99 years old. I also learned that there are 40 kupuna currently residing there and they can have at max 42 at a time. It costs around $4,000 per month and they have 45 staff members (including part time people). It was a really great learning experience and I would like to thank Mrs. Porrecca, Aukai, all the Lama teachers, and everyone else that helped to put this on.

36. Kalawaia Says:

Lunalilo Homes was an awesome and fun experience for both us, and I’m sure that the kupuna also had fun. Being an ukulele player also made things that much more fun. I loved learning how to play some of my favorite Hawaiian songs, especially, “Henehene Kou ‘Aka.” Singing and playing was such a good experience, and seeing the kupuna’s face light up and smile, and even singing along to have a fun time of their own too. Talking to the kupuna was a fun time and a good experience to hear about their younger days. Some kupuna still had their young spirit and personality in them, such as Aunty Anna Cazimero, and Uncle Harry H. Uncle Harry told us about how he was always a good boy and loved the ocean and the beach. According to him, he always got the wāhine! I never met anyone that possibly graduated from Kamehameha. I was really looking forward to asking some of the workers if any of them remember my great great grandparents, because my mom says that one of them still remembers the Lobos. I almost did, but I couldnʻt find the right time to do it. Yet, despite my misfortune in that part, I really enjoyed myself there at Lunalilo Homes.

37. Caitlin Says:

We got the experience to visit Lunalilo home, and it was an amazing experience. We were able to perform for the küpuna, which was unbelievable. It was fun to see their reactions. Some reactions were pleasant, others weren’t so pleasant. In the end, it was a great performance. The last song we performed was Hawaii Aloha. It was cool to see that one of the küpuna was standing up, and encouraging others to stand up as well. This taught me that as a Hawaiian, we should be proud to be singing the song, Hawaii Aloha. After performing, we were able to interact with the küpuna. Some weren’t so open to talking to us, but others were very good conversationalists. We learned a lot about where they’re from, where they came from, and their childhood. This also made me think of what I’m going to do when I’m their age. In conclusion, this was a good field trip, and I hope that we can go again someday.

38. Kili Says:

Yesterday, we went to Lunalilo homes. The whole team sang for the elderly residents. Some of the songs that we sang were E Alu Like, Ua Mau, Molokai Slide, Hawaii Aloha and Menehune Beach Bum Boogie. Some of our own students actually learned the musical parts for the songs. They also accompanied us while we were singing. I think the Kupuna really enjoyed listening to us sing. It was fun for them. One thing that I thought was really cool was how they sang for us. One kupuna knew how to play the guitar and another played a makeshift base. They sang to us You are My Sunshine and Old Hawaii. I thought it was cool how they represented old Hawaii and we represented the New Hawaii. Then we got to interact with the kupuna. The first person I went to didn’t have a hearing aid so he told us to go away. That was kind of weird. Then Kellie, Jeri and I ended up with a kupuna named Lily. She was really nice. She kept on repeating things over and over again but at least she could talk. One thing she told us was that she had a frog ring that she found on the sidewalk in china town. She didn’t talk much but when she won the bingo she was really excited. It was really cute. I was happy I had this experience because it opened me up to how happy they were. I hope I can visit again.

39. Nalani Says:

Other day we went to the Lunalilo Homes. It was an AMAZING experience. I learned many things. One thing I learned was that you should always put you names on you things. My kupuna was very hard to understand. I tryed my best to understand him. I had absolutly no idea what he was saying so i just responded with a nod and “Oh thats nice.” Then after talking with that Kupuna, I moved on to my next Kupuna and that was the Kupuna i ended up with for BINGO. In my interpretation BINGO was the best part. I liked playing BINGO. I thought that my Kupuna was professional. In the end of the day it was a good experience and i would like to extend a special thanks to ALL you helped with this field trip!!! (:

40. Rachel Says:

I enjoyed our fieldtrip to Lunalilo Homes very much. I rarely ever get to see my Grandma, and so it was a touching experience to get to see all of the Kupuna there. I was an instrumentalist, and I enjoyed playing the ukulele for the Kupuna. Thanks to Kumu Porreca and Aukai, I think we sounded great. I got to talk to Kalino’s grandmother, and she seems really sweet. She told Kea, Kalino, and I some really funny stories. This was probably my favorite part of the field trip.
    I learned that the Kupuna are old Hawaii, and we are young Hawaii, and they have so much to teach us if we are willing to learn. The Kupuna told us of their past experiences so that we can take their knowledge and apply it to our own everyday lives. One of the Kupuna said that people had been stealing from her, and that I should put my name on my things. Little bits of information like this can be very helpful.
    Mahalo nui loa to everyone who made this fieldtrip possible.

41. Brendyn Says:

The Lama team went to Lunalilo Homes to sing to the Kupuna, and when they would smile or sing along I would be so proud because that meant that they were enjoying the song that we were singing. I also met a cool Kupuna named Uncle Harry, he was very talkative, and he was a crazy athlete when he was in high school, he also showed us his abs, and he loved to laugh, and when we played bingo he didn’t care if he won he just liked talking to us. I really like this field trip and i’d like to thank Mrs.Porreca and Aukai, and all the Lama teachers for letting us have this privalege.