Visit to Bishop Museum

September 27th, 2010 by kiterai

On September 22, 2010, the Lama team visited the Bishop Museum.  The primary focus of this field trip was to witness the Kü exhibit.  We watched a dramatic storytelling called, Mai Poina and visited the Picture Gallery, Native Garden and toured Hawaiian Hall.  Mahalo nui loa to all those who helped to make this field trip occur.  Mahalo to the staff and docents at Bishop Museum for helping us to connect with our Hawaiian Culture.

Students, please add a reflection that is a well written paragraph that shares what you learned, felt and witnessed on this field trip.

Posted in Terai- Math 8 | 99 Comments »

99 Responses

1. Mahea Says:

On our field trip to the Bishop Museum to see the the Ku exhibit. I have learned while spending a day there that one of the Ku statues came back from Boston and another one came from england. Another thing I learned was that the Ku statues are made of the Ulu tree. I felt that the statues should stay here and be with us since it was where the statues where made. So I kind of feel sad that the statues will soon have to leave. I witnessed a lot of facinating things like all of the old hawaiian artifacts which I thought was pretty cool and also helped us learn more about our hawaiian culture.

2. Rainbow Says:

I had a great time at Bishop Museum for multiple reasons. I thought that it was really fun there, and I had a great time learning about the many facts that was taught to us by the docents. One thing that I learned was that the picture gallery had many interesting pictures. I also learned a lot about Ku. I had a great time learning about the many interesting artifacts that Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop had. I also learned that Charles Reed Bishop had founded Bishop Museum. Thanks to everyone that made this field trip possible! The teachers and faculty, and also the staff of the Museum! Thank You!

3. Mason Says:

I learned about Ku and all the many things that he could do and form into. I also learned that there are 3 Ku statues and that they are split up, like one is in Hawaii, one is from Massachusetts, and another is from England. I also enjoyed how the people showed us all around the Museum that. Thank you to all of the Lama Kumu, dosants, the people that work there, and everyone else that helped in the planning of this activity.

4. Kellie Says:

Our field trip to the Bishop Museum was a great experience, and I learned a lot from it. Some of the things that I learned was a lot of things about the ku exhibits and how much they’ve gone through to finally be reunited together with each other. I learned that this is the first time in many many years that the statues were not together. I feel that these statues have a lot to do with our Hawaiian ancestry. I didn’t know that these statues were separated. I really enjoyed this field trip and everything that we learned. I hope to be learning more about this exhibit.

5. Keao Says:

I leaned about Ku and his many different forms. I learned about what happened during the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom in the play. I learned about the gods and the commoners, the tools they used and the forms they took. We also got to see some of Pauahi’s favorite memorabilia. The bishop museum has many enlightening artifacts. Thank you for all of the people who made this possible, chaperones, docents, etc.

6. Cody Says:

This field trip to the Bishop Museum was very superb. The docents enlighten me on my comprehension on the Ku god. I learned that they been separated for 200 years. That’s plenty of years. Overall, i really liked this field trip. Thanks to all the kumu who made this whole field trip possible. Mahalo

7. Kainalu R. Says:

When we went to the Bishop Museum I was very excited to see the kū statues and see how big they were and what they looked like. I first went to the wao were we learned about the hawaiian culture and about our history. Then we went to the wao were we learned about life as a hawaiian. Some things that I learned from here was about the aliʻi and the tools they had. Next was the dramatic theider it was a very fun and I learned a lot from the act. When we went to the kū I was so suprised on how big the images were and how simier they look for the whole trip it was really fun and I would like to thank all the people that made this trip happen.

8. Kinion Says:

I learned about the way our ancestors felt during the time of the annexation and how our ancestors wept and were hurt as the foreigners overthrew Queen Lili‘uokalani and I also learned the life and the way people lived and their lifestyle they had and how different the style and clothing wee from now. I learned that the Kū images were separated and were placed in museums in London, England, Salem, Massachusetts, and Boston, Massachusetts. I got to see how the capes, and artifacts the of the Hawaiian days and it was a great experience to see he garden and the exhibit E Kū Ana Ka Paia. I’d like to thanks those who let this field trip happen and the docents who helped out and guided us.

9. Breann Says:

I have learned so much from the field trip to Bishop Museum, but not only about the Ku statue’s but also the other this in there. Some of these things include the Wao Kanaka, Wao Lani, the mo’olelo, and the things in the picture frame. First before I say anything further I want to thank the teachers, staff, and doseant that work there for letting me come and visit the exibit’s. The Ku exibit was a great experience and it was such a good site to see. I saw that the three statues had some things in common like the tongue, head, hair, knees, and malo. I also saw some differences like the colors and where they live now. I hope they get to come back to Hawaii again. I learned much more but I would have to go on and on again if I had to talk about more things. Thank you again to everyone that helped make this field trip possible.

10. Emma Says:

This was a very fun and educating field trip. I think that this field trip was special because it was the reunification of the three Kü images and also the uniting of the Hawaiian Islands. I learned a lot about the Kü images like how that they were all made out of the ‘ulu even though the color of all the images were different colors. I was amazed by the detail of all the images and how it could be preserved for that long. I also learned about different ali“i and special artifacts that shaped our Hawaiian culture. I think that we are lucky to have been able to witness all of the Kü images together again. One of the Kü images is from Massachusetts and the other is from London. I also learned that each of the statues weighs around 600-800 pounds. I felt proud to be able to go on this field trip because other people have not witnessed these images together since around 200 years ago. It was a privilege to be able to witness such an incredible event. I also got to see the Native Garden and learn about a chant. I would also like to say mahalo to all of the kumu and docents that made this field trip possible. I am very glad that all of the 8th grade teams were able to go on this field trip to see the Kü images. My classmates and I are very happy that we got to experience this field trip. Mahalo!

11. Javin Says:

On Wednesday, we went to visit the bishop museum. Here our main goal was to learn about the three ku artifacts from the 1800’s. Other than that we also learned a lot more about old Hawaii and the take over of the throne. We also learned about the different exhibits and the pictures. We learned what was in Bernice Pawahi Bishops case and in every one else’s of royalty like king kamehameha, and queen Emma. In these Case’s lay the things that represent them as people. Like kamehameha and his cape and Princess Bernice Pauahi and her lovely painting. The three statues of Ku were very Cool and also told more about the Hawaiian people and their relationship to the God ku. I think that it is very neat that all of these could come together in all of this time. For over 100 years these statues have not been reunited and I thought that it was very cultural that they came back to the place in which they were born. Especially because they are the only remaining statues and are treasured. I would like to thank all of the aunties and uncles that helped for this field trip to be! MAHALO!

12. Kanani Says:

Going to Bishop Museum was very educational even thought I have been to that exhibit many times I still learned things that I never knew. One thing that I found very interesting in the exhibit is that the three Ku’s that are there have been separated for 150 years. I also learned that many people think that they should not give back the statues because this is there rightful home and that they should be able to stay here in Hawaii. Others are just grateful that they are here in Hawaii. I think that the Ku’s should go back to where they were before because then they will help the other people in the world learn a little more about Hawaii and its history and its beliefs. I think that if they stay here in Hawaii it will be something good but I think that the rest of the world needs to know about them too. I learned so much from the mo’olelo that aunty shared with us. It made me feel sad because I could see the hurt in her eyes even though she is just acting it out, she made me feel like she was actually back in time and she actually felt those feelings. I think that when the annexation happened many hawaiians could not believe that it happened. It wasn’t real to them, it was just a bad dream. Many could not stand to have there beloved flag lowered on the Iolani palace and have the United States flag raised. Learning about how many of the Hawaiians felt made me feel like I got closer to my ancestors because I could she how they felt. Going on this field trip to Bishop Museum really helped me learn a lot about my hawaiian culture.

13. Mikiala Says:

When we went to the Bishop Museum it was very fun because I got to hear and watch the lady act out the moolelo because it felt like I was actually there in time. The moolelo was about how the American people took over the island of Hawaii, and how they took down the Hawaiian Flag and raised the American flag. In the moolelo it also talked about how the Americans treated the Hawaiians very very bad. When I heard the moolelo i was very upset, and sad because of how the Americans treated the Hawaiians.
    When I saw the Kū, it was very cool because they all had lots of smiliarities and differences. When I heard the different stories, and facts about each one of the kū it was even more special to realize what all of them went through.
    So, thank you to all of the people who helped organize this educational field trip because I realize now what my ancestors went through, what some of Pauahiʻs treasures were and what exactly the Kū is.

14. Nanea Says:

On September 22, 2010 much knowledge was gained and many artifacts were seen. I was participant in hui one, and the first thing we did was watch the mo‘olelo, Mai Poina. It was saddening to witness the truth about how the Hawaiian people grieved during the time of the annexation. Upon the arrival of the foreigners, much disease was brought to the islands. Natives were dying young, and rulers were becoming sickly, quickly trying to find someone to fill their position. My group traveled down to the Ku exhibit. It was so cool to see the three images together once again, after being apart for 200 years. I learned, in 1819 the Kapu system was demolished. All of the idols were burned, but for some odd reason, these three were saved and sent to 3 different museums. Ku was the not only the god of warfare, but also to provide food, and the protector. We also went to the second floor, and learned about Wao Kanaka. There, I learned the traditional society was constantly involved with the warfare. To protect yourself one must learn the knowledge and skills otherwise known in Hawaiian as Lua. On the third floor I learned, Kawaluna was a heiau,, that was built by King Kualii in Nuuanu. I visited the native garden, and read about the Naupaka moolelo. I learned from this moolelo, that the naupaka flower blooms only in half, in a creative way. Our kupuna were very careful and quite amazing to create mo‘olelo, even for the most detailed things. This fieldtrip was very informational.

15. Tabbi Says:

On this field trip to the bishop museum I learned that the three ku statues are together for the first time in 200 years. They are all made from the same wood which is the ulu tree. I also learned how people felt back then and what it was like. The girl told us a story of her and her family’s past in old Hawaii. We got to explore three floors, so which was all the floors in the museum. We had learned about gods, Wao Kanaka and Wao Lani. That is some things that I learned on this fun field trip, which i got to learn a lot of different things!

16. Hayley CK Says:

In our recent visit to the Bishop Museum we were able to witness many different historic landmarks in our culture. One of those exhibits was the Ku statues that have finally been reunited with each other. I learned that the statues were spread out all around the globe. One was in the Salem, Massachusetts museum and the other one was a museum in England.
    The next place we were able to visit was a gallery of princess Pauahi’s belongings as well as many other kinds of Hawaiian artifacts that were important to our ancestors. I was honored to witness all of the different artifacts. We then visited the native garden, and we were able to see all the different types of plants that grew in different parts of the island. For example, there was naupaka kai on the “ocean area” of the garden and an ulu tree in the middle section of the garden. I thought it was interesting to see all of the different plants that can grow in different environments in one little garden.
    The last place that I wanted to mention was the play we saw about the overthrow of the kingdom and how it really effected the people. I made me sad to know that the Americans would do something like this to our nation. I made me sad to see what the people were forced to do, how they were forced out of their culture and heritage.
    In conclusion, I saw and learned about our culture through pictures and displays of artifacts, plants as well as a very sad story of the overthrow of our kingdom.

17. Casey Says:

First of all, I would like to thank all the teachers and staff who made this field trip possible. I was able to see a part of history that day on September 22, 2010. That was the first time the kū images were together as one in over 160 years. When we were watching the small acting part show with the name of Mai Poina, it really made me sad. That show made me sad because I had not realized how disrespected and treating unfairly our people were until that time. We absolutely did not deserve to be treated like that, especially with that petition with the thousand of signatures from the Hawaiians. I learned a lot from the artifacts that were left by our ancestors as well. I learned about some of things that they made and the things they wore. It is really neat that they are still such great shape. Along with the artifacts being well preserved, I think that it also shows what great quality all of the Hawaiian things are made. They are made at great quality, I hope that are able to last for a very long time so many people are able to learn from it. I saw a lot of great things that made me think of old Hawaii. It makes me want to go back in time and see all those things again. I really did learn a lot and I was glad I was able to see the Kū images together. It was a great pleasure; hopefully I am able to go later on with my family ☺

18. Reyn Says:

Going on the Bishop Museum field trip was a very good experience. I learned many new things. For example I learned that in old Hawai‘i kakau is a traditional tattoo body art. Some of the instruments that they used for this tattoo body art is the poho pōhaku or also known as the ink holder, and another instrument is the tattoo needles that are also known as moli kakau. I also learned more about our Hawaiian Ancestry and the suffer of the people that were witnessing the overthrow and the loss of our culture. This field trip was a very interesting field trip and I was very glad to go on it because I learned a lot more about the Hawaiian culture and more about myself as being a Hawaiian.

19. Moriah Says:

I am really glad that I was able to go to the Kū exhibit because it was a really special occasion and I probably wont have another chance to see them together. The three images left Hawaii over 150 years ago. Since then, one has come back and is kept at Bishop Museum. The other two are in Massachusetts and England. The reunification of the statues coincides with the 200-year unification of the Hawaiian Islands under Kamehameha I’s rule. The Mai Poina performance was good too. I saw it last year, but a different person did the acting so it was a little different. We also went into the Hawaiian Hall and saw the different Wao. It was cool to see Bernice Pauahi’s box. I would like to thank everyone that made this field trip possible.

20. Jade Says:

During this field trip i learned a lot. I learned more about the god Ku and about the history of the statues. I didnt know that all three of the statues were made out of the same type of wood becaues they are all different shades of browns/black. I think its such an amazing experience that we were able to see the gods reunited again after that long time period being apart. I felt like i wanted to learn more about the Hawaiian gods after going on this field trip because it was so interesting and i learned a lot of things i didnt know. I wittnessed the story telling of Mai Poina which was really surprising for me because i’ve never seen/heard somebody put the Hawaiian perspetive of what happened before.

21. Makana A Says:

This was a good experience for me to visit the bishop museum. I got to witness all of the nice artifacts that the bishop museum had to offer. It was so interesting because I never got to see the KŪ statue before. Its also really cool that these are living piece of history. I also learned alot more about this god named KŪ he wasn’t just the god of war, he was also a god of life. Yes I know its weird to here that the god of pretty much death can also bring life. A cool quote that I observed in the museum was “He is a protector and a provider” To me that quote make me think that he is strong and kind to his ohana and community. I also learned a new chant that to me sounds like a war chant. It was very powerful and could strike fear into people minds. I also learned about Pauahi and her ancestors, it was very cool and very interesting. The next time I go there I hope that they will have another statue of another god, that would be very cool.

22. Shayla Says:

During the field-trip to the Bishop Museum, I learned a lot. One thing that I learned is that Kū is not only the God of war, he is also the God of prosperity. Also, the Kū states have been separated for 150 years. Another thing that I learned is that when Kalakāua was King, there were only 40,000 Hawaiians left in Hawaiʻi. Also, the Bishop Museum was founded in 1889 by Charels Reed Bishop. While at the Bishop Museum I felt more connected to our culture. At the museum we got to see the kū statues. I thought that was really cool because this was the first time they have been reunited. I really enjoyed our field-trip to the Bishop Museum.

23. Ashlyn Says:

Going to the Bishop Museum was a great experience for me, especially witnessing the reunion of the three Ku statues. From this field trip I have learned that there are three Ku statues, and that they all reside in different places.I have also gotten the chance to learn that Princess Pauahi was fond of collecting hats, she used to collect hats from wherever she visited. By going on this field trip I felt proud to be a Hawaiian, mainly because we have been through a lot of rough times, and have come back even stronger, from visiting the Bishop Museum I have had the chance to take time off from our busy schedules at school, and experience what life would have been like back in the days. I thought that the Mai Poina Ho’ike was neat, because they told the story of the annexation, and the other little challenges, that I have never even heard about before. Learning in a great environment such as the Bishop Museum, really helped me to connect with my ancestors. Mahalo to the Bishop Museum for helping make my learning experience fun!

24. Kawai Says:

On the field trip to Bishop Museum I had first went to the mo’olelo where I had learned about August the 12th, 1942. That day was the day the Hawaiian flag was lowered. Many had sobered on the 12th watching a piece of Hawai’i being taken away. During this time the Hawaiians were being overthrown by the Westerners. When I had come upon the Ku exhibit I had learned that these were the last 3 statues, many had visited the statues from afar and near. I had also learned that this was the very first time in 200 years that the statues were brought together. We also had visited the Wao Kanaka and Wao Lani. The 3rd and 2nd floor of the exhibit where I had learned about the makahiki season and much more about Bernice Pauah Bishopi. During the field trip, I felt exhausted learning and gaining so much more information. This is what I learned and felt on my field trip to the Bishop Museum.

25. Charleston Says:

Blog response
    I learned many things on this field trip to the Bishop Museum. First of all, I learned that this is the first time in 200 years that the Kū statues have been reunited. Another thing I learned was that Kū can turn into many different forms two forms that I know he turned to was a Ulu tree and a man. Also he was not only the god of war he did other things like provide for people, goverment, and martial arts. We also visited differnt exibits and I learned that during the time of Lono it is the time of Makahiki and I is a festival of feasting, holidays, and sports. I would also like to thank the teachers and the staff that made this field trip possible, it was a marvelous field trip.

26. Kalino Says:

I really enjoyed going on this field trip, I got to see a once in a life time event happening which was the Ku exhibit. Not only did I get to see the statues but I got to learn about the different demigods, gods and goddesses. I also got to listen to a moolelo of the Annexation of Hawaii and how the people were all effected by this outcome. I wasn’t able to go see all of the exhibits because I was sick but I did get to see the Ku statues. I felt privileged for being able to see the Ku statues together and Im glad I got this chance.

27. Kula Says:

When I went there I was happy that I got to go for free because I wouldn’t have gone there on my own and it would have been expensive if I went. I was also very interested when I saw all of the different things about ancient Hawai’i. We saw how the annexation affected the different people. We didn’t want to be apart of the United States of America but were forced to and because of this we had to adapt to some of the western ways. We even tried signing a petition and sending to try and become independent again but we were denied. I also saw the three ku statues. All of the ku statues had strong expressions on their face but we don’t know if the expressions were anger of happiness. One of the things that we learned about the statues were that they were shipped to 3 different. One came back but the other two are still in Massachusetts and in England. They had to leave Hawai’i because our religion changed and no longer worshiped ku and the other gods. Ku is known for being the god of war but is also the god of farming and government. Some of the kino lau or body forms include the ulu tree, the ohia tree, adzes and the Pulupulu fern. We also learned about what some of the Hawaiians used as tools. Some of tools includes the Ko’i or the stone adzes, La’au Lomilomu kua, or back massage stick, and Hano, or syringe. Altogether I am really thankful to have gone to the Bishop Museum.

28. Kirei Says:

When we went to the Bishop Museum, I learned a lot. I learned about all the different Kū statues, and how they traveled a long way before getting to make it back to Hawaii and into the Bishop Museum. I also learned about where and how the people of ancient Hawaii lived. They told us about how the Alii were said to be like the heavens because they were high rulers, similar to gods but not exactly like them. While at the Bishop Museum, it made me feel kind of sad hearing about the over throw. It also made me feel kind of proud to be Hawaiian, because I learned how smart they are to have lived such organized lives. I witnessed a lot of cool tools and pictures of Hawaii from a long time ago. It was interesting to see all the different paintings and artifacts. I really enjoyed going to Bishop Museum.

29. Erinn O Says:

The bishop museum was really fun. Some of the things that I learned while I was there was we are one of the first people in 200 hundred years to see these Ku statues again. Something else that I learned at the Bishop museum was that they were possibly built on the Big Island and they were all made at the same time. They were made out of ulu trees, and Ku could also take the form of the ulu trees. When I went to the Mai Poina mo’oleo I learned so many things but the top three things that I learned was that 7,000 people died from the small pox in 1853, Kalakua’s coronation in 1883 he had people dance hula, so he was able to bring that back to us. This was a really fun time to go and celebrate the Ku statues and see some of our Hawaiian history. I would like to that the kumu for letting us go on this wonderful field trip, I would also like to thank the docents for putting on a play for us and showing us around the museum, and I would also like to thank the other museums that shipped the Ku statues here and let us see this wonderful site. MAHALO!!!

30. Brandon Says:

The field trip that we took last week I learned more about my Hawaiian Ancestory, and how Ku’s (the God of war, and food) three statues were reunited for the first time in many years. Something new that I learned during this field trip is that when the missionaries had come to our islands the Hawaiians burned most of the statues. But three remained, they don’t know why but the Ku statues where kept. Some other interesting things that I learned was that they changed they heau into forts and barracks for their warriors to train. Some thing that I felt throught the play was sad. I felt this way during the play because I saw how sad the Hawaiians were that their freedom was being taken away by the United States of America. Overall this field trip was a good one because I learned more about my ancestors. Thank you teachers for letting us go on this field trip. Mahalo.

31. Rhayn Says:

I had a wonderful time at the bishop Museum. seeing the three ku statue’s not once but twice is a good feeling. This was a good chance for me to see this. I learned a lot from this field trip. I am really happy and sad at the same time, about the story that was being told about the annexation. I hope all my peers enjoyed it as much as I did

32. kaulana w Says:

on our feild trip to bishop museum i learned a lot about the three ku images like how they were created and how they got to where they are and where they live. also i got to learn so much more about our founder and how she came up and how the people felt on the day of the over throw. when i herd the great story i was shocked how the forniers came and just took over. they were just demanding and they brought bad things to our lands, like disese and other bad things.i hope we get back or lands and we fight back and rise our flag high in the sky.

33. Chris Says:

On September 22, 2010 the lama team went to bishop museum to see the three Kū images. When I first saw the three images I felt a deep sence of history and happiness. I liked the design of the three images and they were alike but not the same. I learned that they were all planed to be destroyed but then we sent them else where to save them from being destroyed. I also learned more about the feather capes and the artifacts used in old Hawaii. Thank you to everyone that helped make this field trip happen and I enjoyed seeing the Kū images.

34. Christine N. Says:

My first time to the Bishop Museum was a great experience. To see the Ku statues together for the first time since they were separated was something special. By touring the exhibits, I learned a lot of things about our ancestors. Out of all the exhibits, my favorite was the Wao Kanaka. The exhibit showed many tools the Hawaiians used in their daily lives which fascinated me. All in all, this was a good field trip.

35. Tearsjah A.T.T. Says:

I learned many things from going on this field trip. One thing that I learned was that foreigners came and took over our land and culture. I also learned that many hawaiians got sick and died. I felt sad to hear that story, because it was probably hard to see their queen get locked up and to see their flag getting lowered down. Another reason why I thought it was sad was, because there was a lot of people that died, because of these foreigner.

36. Kulia Says:

As we toured the Bishop Museum there were many things I found interesting. One of those things was the story we heard named Mai Poina. I thought that story was very dramatic and I felt like I was in the story. The we saw the three statues of Ku. Most people may think they look the same, but to me they were different in there own way. Then I was able to see some of the things that have once belonged to Pauahi. I thought that was interesting because it showed her personality. Then we went to the native garden and I saw a young Lama tree which I thought was also interesting because I have never seen a Lama tree before. Lastly I would like to thank all the Lama teachers and aunty Mana and all the other teachers and staff that help plan this field trip.

37. Alohi G. Says:

On the field trip to the bishop museum i had first went to the ku images, they were really cool and different.I learned a lot from the moolelo that the guy did because i learned the story from a native hawaiians perspective of what happened when the europeans took over the hawaiian kingdom. I like this field trip a lot. I learned another oli or chant at the native garden. I learned all the technology of native hawaiians and no know more about my culture.cheeehuuuu

38. Mason M Says:

This was a great field trip and i learned alot about Ku and how alot of the hawaiians felt when the hawaiian flag was lowered. what i went to first was the Moolelo and what i learned there is that on August 12th 1942 was the day that we where overthrown and Hawaii became a state. Many of people where sad about what happened that day and they also tried to work against them, they where dedicated, so dedicated that some of the people died. the second thing i went to was the Ku exhibit. i was surprised how big the statues where and i also learned they where made out of ulu tree. i also learned that alot of them have been traveling around the world but this was the first time in 200 years when they all were together. on the 3rd floor i learned about the makahiki and also war tools and weapons. i would like to thank the teachers for this awesome field trip, i learned alot.

39. Pono Says:

Our fieldtrip to the bishop museum was a learning experience for me, because as a hawaiian i got to learn more about my culture, and about the past and all the struggles they faced. Like the, Overthrow of the monarchy and the lowering of the flag, we got to watch someone act out a womans life as the whole thing was happenning and how she felt. Also we got to see different pieces of modern art on kū. We got to see paintings of are alii back then and also of statues and hawaiian items. I felt really moved because of all the people that were hurt and were taken advantage of. It was sad to see how they white people just enforced the hawaiian monarchy to be taken control by the U.S.

40. Kalawaia Says:

At Bishop Museum, the students of Kamehameha Middle School, Pu’ulu Lama visited the three images of Ku, the God of Warfare. It was really interesting. We also got to visit a lot of other things, like Duke Kahanamoku’s board, which was really neat. The top floor had my favorite things, including Kaläkaua’s suit and sword, and some of the foreigner’s guns. Duke’s board was something that I never thought that I would be able to see in my life, but it was there. I thought it was really cool that we were able to see some of his trophies and medals, including a gold medal he received in the Olympics. One of the important things that we learned over at the Bishop Museum, was about the time when foreigner’s came and took over Hawai‘i. We got to see how some of the Hawaiians were feeling, and witnessing while it was taking place. It was a very sad time, and what was worse was that thought the foreigner’s didn’t realize it; they were killing off native Hawaiians with disease that they brought with them to Hawai‘i. The Hawaiian flag, as shown in the act, was very important to the Hawaiian people.At Bishop Museum, the students of Kamehameha Middle School, Pu’ulu Lama visited the three images of Ku, the God of Warfare. It was really interesting. We also got to visit a lot of other things, like Duke Kahanamoku’s board, which was really neat. The top floor had my favorite things, including Kaläkaua’s suit and sword, and some of the foreigner’s guns. Duke’s board was something that I never thought that I would be able to see in my life, but it was there. I thought it was really cool that we were able to see some of his trophies and medals, including a gold medal he received in the Olympics. One of the important things that we learned over at the Bishop Museum, was about the time when foreigner’s came and took over Hawai‘i. We got to see how some of the Hawaiians were feeling, and witnessing while it was taking place. It was a very sad time, and what was worse was that thought the foreigner’s didn’t realize it; they were killing off native Hawaiians with disease that they brought with them to Hawai‘i. The Hawaiian flag, as shown in the act, was very important to the Hawaiian people.

41. Kahea Says:

On September 22, 2010 the Lama team went to the Bishop Museum. We went to see the famous Ku exhibit and we learned a lot. We go t to see this exciting play and got to look at many of the important items to Hawaii. I would like to say thank you to all the docents and the workers that helped put this together. I would also like to thank the Lama teachers and all the assistants that helped as well. I also got to see the picture gallery, which was interesting because there were many different types of art and also they all, had a way of appealing to me.
    I would finally like to say again thank you to every one who helped put this trip together and that I had a great time.

42. Ethan L Says:

At the Bishop Museum field trip I learned many things. First we went through Wao Lani or realm of the Gods. Here we learned about the Hawaiian Renaissance and how musical artists such as Robert and Roland Cazimero helped awaken the Hawaiian community. I also saw items that belonged to the cheifs some things I was suprised by was how big Princess Ruth’s poi bowl and pipe were (when the docent said Princess ruth loved her tobacco, she wasn’t kidding) . Next we went to Wao Kanaka or where the people live. Here we saw things used in every day life such as kakau tools, massage sticks, weapons and instruments. After Wao Kanaka we went to the Dramatic Storytelling. The story was about the overthrowing of the Hawaiian Kingdom. After the storytelling we went to the picture gallery my favorite was a picture of a frozen volcano erupting I like this one because it displayed two opposite forces of nature colliding.The final exhibit we saw was Ku Ana Ka Paia. Here we learned about the history and origins of the Ku statues also we learned about the moolelo of ku and his kinolau. I drew a pretty beast picture of Ku here. I looked next to me and saw a dude drawing an even beastlier picture with shading and the works.

43. Keola Says:

On September 22 we all went to Bishop museum. At the Bishop Museum i learned many things about Ku. Just like how the god Ku isn’t just the god of war, but Ku is also the god of Prosperity. We got to see all the things at the museum and this one guy who did a preformance for us got so into his story and it was even kind of sad how he was telling about the overthrow of the hawaiian monarchs. The bishop museum was also founded and created in the late 1880’s and it actually used to be the old Kamehameha Schools that Charles Reed Bishop made for us. I actually had a really good time at the bishop museum and i had a great time there.

44. Katelyn Says:

I learned a lot of different things at the bishop museum. I didn’t just learn about ku i also learned about the chiefs and chiefess. They had 3 different Ku statues and the other 2 were in different museums around the USA. I also learned that they were all made out of ulu tree bark. I got to listen to a mo’olelo about Ku helping out his village because they were going through a food fast because they didn’t have food so he told his wife that he was leaving and will back later. So her tears watered the ulu tree and grew fruit for the whole village. I also learned about all of the chiefs and what they did and learned when they were younger and what they went through back in the old days when the haoles took over hawaii. WE were fortunate enough to get a skit by uncle. He did an impersonation of the old hawaiian back then when they had the war and they were under the watch of the United States and they couldn’d do a lot of things because of them and there rules that they had to follow form then on.

45. Bryson Says:

The bishop museum was really cool because I got the witnessing of the kū. This was the first time they ever was together so it was really cool to see all of the kū together for the first time for a really long time. After that we went to the 2nd and 3rd floor to learn more about our Hawaiian history we even watched a play performed by the workers of the bishop museum which was really cool they was talking about the overthrow of ʻIolani Palace and what our Hawaiian people had to face when they took over the Hawaiian Islands, which was really sad. Thats what I learned from this experience from the Bishop Museum field trip.

46. Kapu Says:

At the Bishop Museum we went to see the famous Ku exhibit. I learned a lot from the Ku exhibit like there was three made ever. We also went up to the second and third floor of the Museum to see the tools and belongings of Pauahi. We went to the Native Garden outside of the Museum while we were there we learned a new chant. I want to say thank you to all the lama teachers and the Bishop Museum for letting us visit and have a good time.

47. Kayla Says:

After the native garden activity we learned part of a chant. The words were like this:
    E iho ana o luna
    E pi’i ana o lalo
    E hui ana nä moku
    E kü ana ka paia.
    This was a traditional chant. I liked seeing the Ku exhibit with the three Ku statues together. It wasn’t often to see them together in one spot in the Bishop Museum. So I would go again. Thank you to everyone who played a part in this field trip to make it happen.

48. Ka'ua Says:

This was a very great field trip. We went all the way to the BIshop Museum to look at the last three Ku statue’s left in the world. They came all the way from England Boston and Kona. While we were there I learned that Ku was also the god of fishing and government. I also learned that whenever Ku needed a human sacrifice and there was no humans they would catch a big ulua and sacrifice that instead. Also Ku got his weird shape in his mouth because when there was a sacrifice lightning would strike and Ku tongue would come out and snatch the offering. I would also like to thank all of the Kumu and Guides who brought us to the Bishop Museum.

49. Taylor Says:

I really liked this field trip because i got to learn more about my culture. I really enjoyed that performance by aunty, the one about annexation. The native garden was really cute because it actually looked like a beach. The chant we learned with Kumu Kealoha went kind of like this:
    “E iho ana o luna
    E pi’i ana o lalo
    E hui ana nä moku
    E kü ana ka paia!”
    I hope i get to go again, but i think the Ku statues are the coolest because they all had like more mana when they were together. And i think i felt more sad and strong when all three were there, because when i went the last time we only saw one, and it was kinda just there. But with the display it really made me happy, and feel like i was there 200 years ago.