What do your things say about you?

One day each of us will leave this earth but our belongings will remain. Someone will have to sift through them deciding what to keep and what to throw out. What kinds of things do you have and what do they say about you? My mom has a lot of Hawaiian books from her years of employment at Bishop Museum. My dad has lots of family photographs from his time as an amateur photographer. My husband has his classics in the form of books and music. And as for me, I have journals. In my quest for immortality : ), I’ve taken to writing things down.  I’m writing a personal history but also a family history. I am my ancestors and they are me. Hopefully, my descendants will see a little bit of us in themselves.

In class today, the haumāna were given packets of evidence – primary sources about a single person. From these bits of evidence. they were asked to tell a story about the person’s life. Of course it was only a partial story which much more remaining to be discovered. Tomorrow’s haʻawina is for them to bring in three things that reveal something about their personal histories.

Look around at the things you have, the things you will leave. What will they say about you when you are no longer here to speak for yourself?

This entry was posted in What's going on in class?. Bookmark the permalink.