Queen Lili`uokalani Festival

In honor of our last monarch, Queen Lili`uokalani, a cultural festival was held this past Saturday at the Lili`uokalani Gardens in Hilo.  This festival included many craft booths, taiko drumming, ono food, entertainment by Darlene Ahuna and Mark Yamanaka and so much more.

A student who was to perform at this festival asked earlier last week if I was going to watch. I had never gone and thought, why not.  So there I was excited to be a part of this festival.  Keiki from the elementary, middle and high school were there to perform in the mass hula performance.  Many halaus, schools and other hula groups prepared their version of the same song and did a mass hula dance as Darlene Ahuna provided the live music.  At the same time, a helicopter flew above the dancers to drop thousands of flower petals.  Beautiful sight!

I am so proud of all dancers, especially our students.  Thank you to that student who asked me to come. I’m so glad that I did. Congratulations to Kumu Crabbe and Kumu Silva as their haumana performed with grace and pride.  I’m so happy for you all.

Here are a few pictures of some of the students I saw there.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.