Meet Lele!

Lele, the dwarf rabbit!

On Friday, our classroom got a new class pet.  Lele, a dwarf rabbit was graciously donated by 5th grader Gia and her family.  They provided the class a beautiful cage for Lele and lots of food, grass clippings and bedding for her.  We want to thank Gia and her family for allowing us to take care of her dwarf rabbit Lele. This is a wonderful opportunity for other students to learn about rabbits and how to take care of animals.

Being that I havenʻt had a rabbit since I was in grade school, I questioned Gia about how to take care of Lele.  First, how did she get her name?  Gia explains that lele means to jump, hop, bounce in Hawaiian.  Lele likes to hop around a lot, which makes sense to name her that.  So I have to be careful when opening the cage.  So far sheʻs been very mellow and calm when I open the cage.

I also asked about how to change the cage to make sure it is clean for Lele.  Lucky, the cage is wired and her droppings goes down in to a tray below the wires.  This way I just pull our the tray, throw our the droppings and slide back in.  Easy enough!? Iʻll let you know when I have to try it.

So far Lele has been great over the weekend. Iʻve been able to pet her and she stays calm.  I tried to feed her some fresh carrots, but not sure she likes them yet.  I did get some ti leaf and she ate part of that. Iʻll have to bring from home so that I donʻt ruin the schools bunches.

Currently Iʻm looking into making or buying some sort of small fencing that I can put in the grass outside so that she can hop around.  Iʻll have to make sure that itʻs high enough so that she doesnʻt get out. Also make sure that there is shade and a covering. Iʻm worried that if I left her out, some hawk might come snatch her.  So till then, weʻll have to keep her in the cage. If anyone know of small animal fencing, let me know.  Maybe Iʻll have to check Petco in Kona.

I look forward to sharing Lele with you all this week.

This entry was posted in Class Pets and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.