Earth Hour 2012 Participant

Kacelyn participating in Earth Hour 2012 at home

Every last Saturday of March, billions of people around the world voluntarily participate in turning off their lights as a symbol to show their support for global climate change and the protection of the planet.  The inaugural Earth Hour started in 2007 in the city of Sydney, Australia with 2.2 million people participating.  It quickly gained international headlines and brought to the forefront the issues and concerns of global climate change.  Four years later in 2011, more than 18 billion people in over a 130 countries participated in this simple gesture of support to making global climate change a priority.

I’ve participated in this voluntary action for 3 years and since then  I’ve showcased it to my students. It is my hope that they too will participate in Earth Hour as they become more aware of how important it is to protect the planet. It is my hope that by sharing this event with them they will share it with their families. Hopefully taking in interest in participating as well.   So I was so excited when I got an email from a parent saying that they participated this year.  Second grader Kacelyn and her family participate in Earth Hour 2012.  Kacelyn and her family lit candles during the hour and had a nice family night together.  Mahalo to Kacelyn and her family for participating in this year’s Earth Hour.

The count down for Earth Hour 2013 has already started. It will be on March 30, 2013 from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. 

Want to learn more about Earth Hour? Check on the following resources.

Online: http://www.earthhour.org/

Follow on Twitter: @earthhour

Facebook: Earth Hour

This entry was posted in Events, General, Papa `Elua (2) and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.