Teacher is the Student & Student is the Teacher

Trying something new and trying something you don’t know much about is very scary.  As a teacher I sometimes forget what it is like to do something new for the first time. I sometimes forget what it is like to be a student learning a new subject or participate in an activity for the first time.  Not knowing what the challenge will be, not knowing if I’ll be able to do the task, not knowing if I’ll be successful. After this weekend, I think I’ve connected back to that feeling of nervousness of not knowing what will come next and being scared of not knowing what to do.

I had the privilege to participate in a workshop to learn about BrushBots and Letry Robots.  I’ve heard of these activities, but since I’m not familiar with robotics, electronics and engineering, I’ve always stayed away from them.  Now after doing this workshop, I’m so excited to share this with my students in the future as projects and lessons.  I even continued this project when I got home after the workshop.

I definitely was a student at this workshop.  Along with Kumu Silva and Kumu Kala, I worked hard to keep up as the teacher explained parts and symbols we needed to know for making our Letry Robots.  Yes, a whole new language in robotics.  At moments I felt frustrated at not understanding the diagrams and the symbols.  So much information in a short period of time and I was expected to complete a robot. I was thinking, I hope my robot works, I hope that it doesn’t fall apart, I hope I connected everything good. Just so many worries.  I asked questions and tested the robot and changed the robot and tested it again and thought how to make it better or work.

This whole process is all about questioning and going through the inquiry process.  I had to learn about the parts and how it all works together. Then I have to come up with a plan on how to put it together. Once I followed the diagrams and put it together I tested it. If it didn’t work, I had to problem solve on what was incorrect. I had to test and change. I had to communicate with my teachers (the students) and with people around me, Kumu Silva and Kumu Kala.  When I got mine’s to work, I tried to help others whole were struggling.  I had other teachers help me and share how they got there’s to work. It was just an amazing experience to go through all the inquiry process.

Yet, the Waiakea High School Robotics team, all high school students, were right there to help us.  They were our teachers for the day and I was the student.  They patiently explained how things worked and helped problem solve when we couldn’t get our robots to work. It was with their help and guidance, that I felt successful in creating my robot.

Being a student again and having those high school students, who had knowledge of robotics way beyond their age level, was very humbling.  Not one of them made us feel stupid for not knowing what we were doing or doing it incorrectly, they patiently guided us, explained with great detail, and graciously thanked us for being there.  I have to say, a big mahalo to those students who showed gracious professionalism.

I want to thank Art Kimura for setting up this workshop for teachers.  Also Friends of Hawaii Robotics president Alan Hayashida, and Waiakea High School Robotics team for engaging us teachers and providing the workshop.

Want to see BrushBots and Letry Robotics in action? On Saturday, September 17, 2011 there will be a tournament at the `Imiloa Astronomy Center. The BrushBot tournament will be from 9:15 – 11:45 a.m. The Letry tournament will be from 12:45 – 3:45 p.m.

This entry was posted in Aha Moments, General and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.