What are we doing in class?

Aloha mai kākou,

It has been a while since Iʻve written on the blog. I just wanted to catch you up on what has been happening as the students are settling into their science curriculum.

Kindergartners are learning about germs.  As the cold season approaches, students are constantly reminded to stay healthy and always wash their hands.  This study will help the kindergartners understand why we ask them to wash their hands. Weʻve read about what germs are and what they can do to us.  Our next class sessions will be excited as they will be conducting an experiment on how germs spread. I hope that they will see (literally see) why itʻs important to wash our hands.  Theyʻll be using fake germs (glow in the dark lotion) to demonstrate how germs spread. I love this experiment and canʻt wait to see their reaction.

The second graders are just getting into their unit on life cycles. Theyʻll be looking at the life cycles of a butterfly, a frog and hopefully plants.  As first graders last year they did some plant studies, so the plant unit will have to be enhanced in second grade.  Iʻm hoping that some of them will bring in monarch caterpillars if they have them around their home. It would be a great way for them to observe them in class.

The third graders are entering their unit on the moon.  Theyʻll be learning about what the moon is, why it seems to change, how it makes shadows on the earth, how it affects us on earth and why it is important to the Hawaiian culture.  Students have been asking wonderful questions about the moon and moon exploration.  Iʻm excited to share what I know about the moon and even learn from all their questions.

The trimester is moving along into deep science exploration and inquiry.  Iʻm looking forward to more this trimester.  Keep visiting to read more about what weʻre doing in science class.

Cheers, Miss Chang

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.