Kamehameha Schools Hawai’i
Course Syllabus for the Math Mastery Program
Teacher: Mr. Dan DeMattos Room Number: 227
Phone Number: 982-0437 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aloha e nä mäkua,
Kamehameha Schools Hawai’i Kula Waena is deeply committed to helping our haumana reach their fullest potential. We are also aware of our duty to prepare our haumana for high school and beyond. The mathematics department at our middle school utilizes many strategies to assist your child in achieving these two goals. One of our strategies for holding our students accountable for their learning is the Math Mastery Program.
The Math Mastery Program attempts to address some of the standards, topics, and skills for each grade level that your child needs to be able to do with mastery. Each trimester, your child will be responsible for passing a session of Math Mastery with a perfect score of 100%. Please see the schedule below.
- Trimester 1: Summer Session of Math Mastery
- Trimester 2: Probability Session of Math Mastery
- Trimester 3: Geometry and Measurement Session of Math Mastery
Students will have numerous opportunities to demonstrate mastery of the skills for their grade level. All students are required to get a score of 100% by the following deadlines:
- Trimester 1: Thursday, October 25 at 3:30 pm
- Trimester 2: Thursday, February 7 at 3:30 pm
- Trimester 3: Thursday, May 16 at 3:30 pm
Any student who does not get a score of 100% by these deadlines may have to attend a mandatory re-testing session on the Faculty Work Day that occurs at the end of each trimester
- Trimester 1: Friday, November 2, 2012
- Trimester 2: Friday, February 15, 2013
- Trimester 3: Tuesday, May 28, 2013
A student who does not pass the test by 10:00 am of that day or who does not attend the mandatory re-testing session, for any reason, will receive an “NC” (No Credit) for Math Mastery on their report card.
The math department will follow this process to prepare your child for success in the Math Mastery Program:
- For the Summer Session, a packet of problems was sent home with problems very much like those on the Trimester 1 Summer Session of Math Mastery test. For the Probability and Geometry and Measurement Sessions, the Math Specialist, Dan DeMattos, will give instruction on the topics assessed by the Trimesters 2 (Probability) and 3 (Geometry and Measurement) Math Mastery tests in your child’s math class. This instruction will include notes, examples, and, possibly, homework problems.
- Practice tests, review sheets, ixl.com alignments to the skills and topics assessed on the test, and links to khanacademy.org, a video website that teaches math skills and topics, are posted on my blog at http://blogs.ksbe.edu/dadematt/.
- All students will take Round 1 of the Math Mastery test in their math classes.
- Students will be given the opportunity to retake the Math Mastery test during scheduled recesses with Mr. DeMattos. Please check my blog under “Announcements” to see these dates for each grade level. If your child’s math teacher is available to proctor the test, your child may schedule times before school, during recess, and after school to take the test. While I will provide for at least 3 rounds of testing during recess, students may take the Math Mastery test as often as they like until they pass.
- Your child’s progress in Math Mastery will be posted on KS Connect. Progress will be uploaded on the required days. An “NC” indicates that your child has not yet passed.
Please support the math department by encouraging your child to use the supports provided and to take these Math Mastery tests seriously.
Students with Internet access will benefit from utilizing online resources such as ixl.com, ALEKS, phschool.com, khan academy.org, aaamath.com, or thatquiz.org on a regular basis. Please contact us if you have any questions about any of these programs.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kamehameha Schools Middle School Math Specialist