Makahiki A Success!

Makahiki 2013 was a success! Aside from the presence of Ikūwa, the day was filled with laughter, encouragement, playful competition, and comraderie. Everyone did a fabulous job and the afternoon went quite smoothly. The students were ready to compete and practice what they learned. The protocol was excellent as always. Grade five did a very inspiring hula, the hoʻokupu presentation and the melodic chant filled Keaka with the presence of Lonoikamakahiki.

I would like to take this time to thank everyone who had a part large or small in making the Makahiki a success. I also would like to mahalo nui to Kealoha from Kōhala who donated two very precious makana. He blessed us with two handmade koʻi, using the adze stones from his collection. We are so very honored to be the recipient of such an gift.

I would also like to give a mahalo palena ole to Kumu Kahoʻokele Crabbe, for without his guidance and knowledge of the culture and his sharing of protocol, this would not be as special as it is. I learn something every year and make connections to the culture and school I humbly serve. Mahalo.

Imua I na pōkiʻi

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.