Personal Learning Network pt 1 Twitter

I absolutely love twitter.

Twitter is a microblog. What is a microblog? It is a place where you can leave a post, a very small post for everyone to read. Well, not everyone, just those people who choose to follow you. (sounds more like a stalking app but trust me it’s not) Twitter asks one simple question, “What are you doing?” You must answer in less than 140 characters.

You might think that it’s just a waste of time but twitter is a networking tool. I started by following the other members of my team. I posted what I was eating at Rainbow drive in or the outcome of a volleyball match. That was fun for a few days but then I discovered the real power behind twitter. I started following some of the people my team mates were following. Some are local teachers and ed tech specialists and others are world and national leaders in the realm of educational technology. The exchange of information and ideas was mindboggling. It’s like being in a library and discovering a whole new wing with books and materials on your favorite subject. I feel like Santa came early this year. 🙂

If you are looking for a place to start learning about educational technology feel free to follow me. on Twitter. My username is summer_sun. Once you are connected to me you can follow some of the people I follow, and the fun thing is often they end up following you! I am connected to teachers in Pennsylvania, Bangkok, Chicago, etc… We all share an interest in educational technology. Twitter is also used in many other professions. It’s a great way to connect. Try it!