SOL Day 28: Time

Time is relative.  We all share the same 60 minutes in 1 hour, 24 hours in 1 day, 7 days in 1 week, 4 weeks in a month, 12 months in a year.  And no matter where you are in the world, 1 minute still lasts 1 minute, 1 hour still lasts 1 hour and so on and so forth.  But what are you doing during that minute or hour?  Are you sitting there, looking at the clock and counting down the minutes?  Are you watching time pass like molasses in a sieve?

Knowing the kind of person I am, I’m pretty sure I’ve spent a large majority of my life counting down the minutes.  How many days until my birthday?  How many weeks until Disneyland?  How many months until I graduate?  And it’s always seemed as though the more I counted those minutes, the slower time seemed to go.  How could that be?  After all, 1 minute is still 1 minute.  What would I need to do to make the time go by faster?

Then I got older.  I got married, had kids.  And then time started to fly.  It seems like just yesterday I met my husband in college.  It was just yesterday that we saw that + sign on the stick.  And it was only yesterday that we welcomed my daughter into the world.  Fast forward and she’s now 8 years old and has a 4-year-old brother.  Someone once said, “The days are long, but the years are short.”  I never truly understood the magnitude of this quote until I had my own children.  And it’s so true.

So now I’m trying to figure out a way to make 1 minute last, well, 1 minute.  So I’ve decided that I’m going to try and stop counting the minutes and just let them be.  As one who’s worn a watch almost her entire life, you have to know how difficult this is for me.  But I’m hoping that by not counting the minutes, I can hold onto them for just a little bit longer.

So that’s what I tried this past week.  Going into it, I knew I had 1 week…7 days…168 hours…10,080 minutes.  But I didn’t want to spend my time counting the minutes, so I let time be.  My sister was here, visiting from San Diego.  It was the first time the 3 of us sisters had been together since…Christmas 2015.  That’s a lot of minutes.  So I wanted to do as much as we could together in this short time we had.  We laughed, a lot.  We cried, a little.  We laughed at my dad, a little (okay, a lot).  We reminisced with our mom.  We watched our kids play.  We talked to, with and about one another (that’s what sisters can do).  We even drank a little (this is big, for someone like me who drinks very little) and had the time of our lives without even meaning to.  And so, when I said goodbye to my sister today and felt like my heart was being wrenched out again and a piece of me left broken, I also couldn’t help but smile a little, knowing that this time, we definitely made the minutes count, instead of counting down the minutes.  Only 2 months, 12 days, 13 hours and 41 minutes until we’re all together again.  But who’s counting?

What are you doing to make your minutes count?

About legerboc

A learner, a teacher, a mom and a wife. Pretty good at the first two and working on the last two, every single day.
This entry was posted in Slice of Life 2017 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to SOL Day 28: Time

1. PaulaBourque says:

I love this post. Making each moment count is so different from counting down to the moments. So glad I started my day reading this!

• legerboc says:

Yes! I wonder how many things I missed out on simply because I was so busy worrying about the time and not truly being “in the moment.” Thanks for reading! 🙂

2. arjeha says:

Time is fleeting and the older I get the faster it goes. Events seem to get here much quicker when I don’t think about how much time is left until the event occurs. Besides, if we spend time counting the minutes we miss out on life.

• legerboc says:

Absolutely! I’m not sure how much I missed out on just because I was “counting down the minutes.” What a waste of good time! 🙂 Thanks for reading!

3. Vanessa Worrell says:

This is such an eternal truth. I hear myself saying “I can’t wait until……” Then I have to remind myself, don’t wish your time away. Thanks to you for this heartfelt slice that reminds me again.

4. Stacey says:

I adore the way you framed this slice about family time with the obvious facts about time. Sounds like it’s worth counting down the days, hours, and minutes until you are together again!

• legerboc says:

Yes! I feel like, even after 8 years of being apart, I still deeply miss my sister which means I’m spending a lot of my time counting down the days until I see her and her family again. But then when we’re together again, I start counting down how many days we have left together. I hate that feeling. So this time, I told myself I wasn’t going to do that – I would just enjoy our time together. It still felt like it went by just as fast, but I remember being “present” more so than other times. And that felt good. 🙂 Thanks for commenting!

5. Love how this post was framed. Time and time. We all need to keep in mind how we are “making moments count.”

• legerboc says:

Exactly! I’m totally guilty of this. Which was why I figured if I wrote about it, in the future, I would be more cognizant of making the moments count. Thanks for commenting!