SOL Day 23: The Growing Land

While I totally understand that this is a writing challenge, today, I thought I’d let many of the pictures speak for themselves.  While most people are enjoying their Spring Break, I usually take the opportunity to work for an extension education program called Ipukukui.  This program allows our Native Hawaiian public school students opportunities to learn about their culture outside the four walls of the classroom.  This will be the 8th year that I’m participating in this program and although I miss relaxing during my Spring Break, I also know how truly blessed I am to participate in this program.  Today’s post is about one of the places we visited called Hoʻoulu ʻĀina or the growing land.  This place is truly unique and is tucked away in Kalihi Valley.  I thought that today, instead of thinking of words that would not be adequate enough to describe what I was seeing, I would let the pictures speak for themselves.  Welcome to Hoʻoulu ʻĀina.

Kalihi Stream                                              A wall built by hand and made only of rocks

ʻOlena (turmeric)                                      Loʻi kalo (taro patches) 

Used for making poles for homes          Used to make lei

Grass similar to aloe                                Sugar cane

Trying the sugar cane

This purple flower, when eaten, acts as an antidepressant.            The valley itself.

It was an overwhelmingly beautiful day!

About legerboc

A learner, a teacher, a mom and a wife. Pretty good at the first two and working on the last two, every single day.
This entry was posted in Slice of Life 2017 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to SOL Day 23: The Growing Land

1. What a tremendous gift to your community and students. Your pictures just provided me with a “virtual” spring break!

2. Lorie Barber says:

Wow. Thank you for the breathtakingly beautiful visual tour the work you’re doing with those kids is priceless.

3. Vanessa Worrell says:

This is truly a beautiful place. You and your students are so blessed to be able to use it as your classroom. Thanks for the visual tour so I can live vicariously through you!

4. arjeha says:

If a picture is worth 1000 words than you have an 18000 word post. Wow! Beautiful pictures.

5. Angela Faulhaber says:

Love this photo essay about your day! What beauty. Thanks for sharing! Sometimes there just isn’t anything that captures the beauty of something other than a photo.

6. Jessica Gibbons says:

Those pictures are absolutely beautiful! I think that it is wonderful that you forgo your Spring Break to continue to work with children. I’m also jealous…I wish I had views like yours. Thanks for sharing! Great Slice!

7. As long as you are telling a story, communicating, i t’s still writing. Just another genre. Keep mixing that media.