Slowly Dying

by Amber

Why do they leave us like this? Unlocked, hanging from freezing gaps in the metal…Why can’t they just lock us? Why do they deny us of our true purpose?

The locks across of us are locked. They look so content and happy. We want to be like them. But, those feeble humans don’t understand us. They don’t get us.

Every day I am locked, and it fills me completely. I feel whole when I’m locked. I have a purpose. I protect things. A warm temperature encases me when the gears lock up. I hang from the plastic circle and take a deep breath. I am ready to stay strong and guard the items in the locker.

My neighbors feel the same. I can’t stand it when they’re left hanging and unlocked. I can hear their cries of disappointment and shame. I can feel them shivering against the cold metal, yearning for that warmth that comes from being locked. They give off an energy that lowers my mood. I can feel their sadness and depression. They grow weak…they begin to lose their purpose…they lose themselves…

I once knew a strong, prideful lock; however, one day the humans left him unlocked. Humans would pass by him, they didn’t try to lock him…they passed by…They- They are heartless beasts!

My friend- he…he wasn’t locked for a couple days…Each day I saw his soul drift out of his gears. His insides were twisted and gnarled. He became numb…He started to forget things. He forgot where he was, what his name was, who his friends were, and then he finally forgot his purpose. He lost everything. He’s nothing now. Just another mundane lock hanging from a metal hole.

My race is slowly dying…We are energy that inhabits stationary items…We are the energy of the metal. We all used to live on the lockers, but slowly they started to be left unlocked. They forgot their purpose. They forgot the feeling of warmth from being locked. I am lowly dying…

I- What- I- don’t remember…What was I thinking about? The other locks…Where am I? I- I’m in a locker! I- I can fight this! I can remember. I can do it. I am locker 246, I protect this humans possessions- I- Where am I again? I don’t remember…It’s getting blurry. I- I- don’t know. My gears hurt- Ow! I- I don’t know! There’s this horrible crunching pain inside me. It’s twisting me, my gears- I can feel the edges bending and stabbing into the other gears. It’s so cold- so very cold. I’m shaking. I’m freezing. It hurts. Please. Make it stop. Make it stop. Please- I can’t- I can’t do this- I’m sorry- Make it stop-

I-

I-

I-

Where am I?

Who am I?

What am I supposed to do?

This entry was posted in Main Page. Bookmark the permalink.