A Brief History of Kamehameha Schools
Kamehameha Schools was founded by the will of Bernice Pauahi Bishop, the great-granddaughter and last direct royal descendant of Kamehameha the Great.
In 1887, three years after her death, the Kamehameha School for Boys opened with 37 students and four teachers. In 1894 the Kamehameha School for Girls opened.
From these modest beginnings Kamehameha Schools has grown to become a symbol of educational excellence for Hawaiians. Today, Kamehameha is a statewide educational system with three campuses on Oʻahu, Maui and Hawaiʻi serving more than 5,500 students in kindergarten through grade 12.
Kamehameha Schools also operates 29 preschools statewide, which serve more than 1,500 students. Additionally, more than 30,000 additional Hawaiian learners are reached annually through a variety of Kamehameha Schools outreach programs, community collaborations and scholarships.