Hau’oli Makahiki Hou e nā `ohana o ke kula ha`aha`a `o Kamehameha ma Kapālama!

One of the highlights in January was our Founder’s Day Celebration when we celebrated the birthday of Charles Reed Bishop, the husband of our beloved Ke Ali‘i Pauahi. ‘Aha ‘Ōpio, our Student Council leaders, shared a wonderful overview of the life of one of Hawai‘iʻs greatest benefactors and friend.

The opening lines of ‘Aha ‘Ōpio’s skit featured Pauahi and Charles conversing in their living room.

Pauahi:  “Charles, you and I see the struggles of my people. They are dying from foreign diseases. Our language and traditions are being lost as well. Something needs to be done to help them. My sister Ke‘elikolani left me all of this land. I want to use these resources to open a school for young Hawaiian men and women where they can receive an education like I had. I believe strongly that is a way for my people to endure, overcome, and thrive.”

Charles:  “My dear Pauahi, I think that’s a wonderful idea! I will help you to get everything in order to do so.”

Three years after Pauahi’s death, the Kamehameha School for Boys opened and Mr. Bishop used his own funds to build the Preparatory Academy which is now our Elementary and Middle School. To honor Pauahiʻs request to house many precious Hawaiian heirlooms, Mr. Bishop planned and funded the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum. He also built the Bishop Memorial Chapel and was a trustee on numerous school boards and Christian organizations. He faithfully used his gifts, talents, and resources to lift the lāhui, the people of Hawai‘i. He gave back to Hawai‘i everything Pauahi gave him and more.

The ‘Aha ‘Ōpio closed with this beautiful summary of the life of Charles Reed Bishop:

“Who was Charles Reed Bishop? A person who is humble, kind, wise, and loyal. A person of integrity and selflessness. It is because of his good works and aloha for his beloved wife Pauahi and nā po‘e ‘o Hawai‘i that we, nā pua lei a Pauahi are blessed to receive the fruits of his labor, dedication, and generosity.”

Please feel free to share this educational video with your ‘ohana. At Kamehameha Schools, we are thankful for God’s many blessings that have come through our beloved Ke Ali‘i Pauahi and her husband Mr. Charles Reed Bishop.

`O au iho nō me ka `oli`oli o ke Akua,

Deede U`ilani Santiago

Po`o Kumu

Ke Kula Ha`aha`a `o Kamehameha ma Kapālama