KG: I can be SAFE!

As a person who only has nephews and a niece, (no kids of my own…yet), I can only imagine that my first concern when sending that loved one into a new environment, like school, would be the safety of my loved one. Here at kula ha`aha`a our first school wide expectation and most important is safety, palekana.

In science, it is also my number one rule and expectation. Whether it be during class discussion, group lab activities, individual activities or any other situation. My number one expectation for students and myself is palekana. Being that it is the first year at kula ha`aha`a for the kindergartners, I tell them that we always start off the year by learning how to be safe in the science classroom. This includes learning about the three emergency drills set at our school: fire drill, earthquake drill and a lockdown drill.

Explaining to the students that emergencies can happen at anytime and any place. But the key is to be prepared by practicing what to do and listening to the kumu in the room.  Today we had Mrs. Derr’s kindergartners in science talking about what a safe fire drill exit looks and sounds like. Students had told me: no talking, walking feet and hands in the back.  PERFECT!  I knew they were ready.  So out the door we went with Mrs. Varize leading to show them exactly where they would go in a fire drill. They were wonderful! If your child hasn’t told you about it, they earned Mrs. Chang’s special “My Teacher is Proud of Me Sticker”. Something not often earned by the WHOLE class.

Next we talked about what happens when the ground starts to shake really hard.  They all said it is an earthquake and we need to get under the desk.  WOW!!  What akamai students!  I explained that they also need to hold on to the desk and cover their head if they can with their other hand.  Take a look at how well they demonstrated an earthquake drill in science today. In this drill, they did earn another proud sticker for next week Monday to wear. Check out their outstanding performance of an earthquake drill in the video below.

KA Practicing Emergency Drills in Science

KB Practicing Emergency Drills in Science

This entry was posted in Papa Mālaa`o (K) and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to KG: I can be SAFE!