There are times when homework will include the beginnings of a writing piece or editing and revising. Tempting, isn’t it, to help by “doing”. The danger in this is that your keiki will rely on this type of help, and the kumu will become well aware of a homework elf living in the home…yikes! Provided below are, hopefully, some helpful tips to guide your young writer at home:
- Brainstorm ideas and topics – don’t provide one
- Talk through a story or informational piece
- Be a listener and reader
- Ask questions to guide the revision process
- Brainstorm possible leads or endings
- Share correct spelling of words, correct use of punctuation, or other editing tips
As a final note, enjoy the time with your keiki!