In Need of Prayer

10.10.2017

There is a lot of grief, turmoil and unrest in the world right now.  It feels like every time you turn around, someone, somewhere, is suffering.  People are hurting, some are scared and some have no clue what to do or feel, myself included.  And it’s during times like these that many people turn to prayer.

I will be the first to admit that I am not an extremely religious person.  But in my own way, I can find strength in prayer.  I guess, like writing and even music (and music lyrics), there is strength in the spoken word of prayer.  Writing is cathartic for me, just like saying a prayer.  And with everything happening right now, I feel like prayer has become a daily need for me.

This week, while most of the kids here, as well as my own two kids, are enjoying their Fall Break (and week off from school), I am teaching another group of kids in an extension program held during the Fall and Spring Breaks.  This group of kids are united in the fact that they are Native Hawaiian students coming together to learn more about the traditions that their ancestors participated in eons ago.  One of these ancient traditions is learning through mele or song.  This week, they are learning a prayer or pule that is sung.  While I love the spoken word of prayer and I love songs and music just as equally, I truly love when the two come together.  As we sang today, I could feel the lyrics and the melody move through me and it was then that I knew…this was the prayer I’ve needed and perhaps what the world is in need of today.  And just so you can get a glimpse of what I heard and felt today, and just in case you are in need of prayer, I’ve included the lyrics and a short video clip of these special children using their voices to unite in a melodic prayer.

E aloha mai, Ke Akua iā mākou,                  God, pour your love upon us

A e hoʻomaikaʻi mai hoʻi iā mākou,            And bless us

a e hoʻmālamalama mai                                Enlighten us

Kona maka iā mākou.                                     And shine His countenance upon us.

To view the video, please click on this link: https://youtu.be/64t7AoYaxmE 

About legerboc

A learner, a teacher, a mom and a wife. Pretty good at the first two and working on the last two, every single day.
This entry was posted in Tuesday Slices and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to In Need of Prayer

1. Stacey says:

What a beautiful prayer for a sad time in our lives right now.
    My friend and her family had to evacuate their home in Santa Rosa, CA due to the wildfire the other night. They’re unsure if they’re going to come back to anything at all.

• legerboc says:

I’m so sorry for your friend and her family. So much loss and devastation that happened so quickly…and so widespread! My prayers and love for your friend and her family and hoping that they may be spared. Thank you for reading and commenting!

2. Judy C. says:

I truly believe in the power of prayer and this prayer is beautiful, words and music. Thank you for sharing. Our world needs to hear and pray this daily.

3. Molly Hogan says:

How moving to hear those young voices raised in song, in prayer. Though I’m not particularly religious, I appreciate the power of joint prayer. I find most of my solace these days in nature. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the video.

• legerboc says:

I have also been finding peace in nature! I never would have considered myself a nature person before, but more recently, in my attempt to get away from city life and the hustle and bustle, I am seeking out the quiet and all that you don’t know you’ll find, in nature. Thank you for reading and commenting!