SOL Day 20: My brother-in-law

My older sister is 9 years my senior, so when she started dating what would be my future brother-in-law, I was only about 12 years old.  Which has given me LOTS of time to get to know him.  And it didn’t take long for me to know that I hit the jackpot when it came to brother-in-laws.

Keith is smart.  In fact, I like to say that he’s the third smartest person I know (behind my dad and mom).  He’s kind and funny.  He’s thoughtful and selfless.  He’s a great listener.  Sometimes, I say I love him more than I love my sister!  🙂

In some ways, you could say Keith saved my life.  My brother-in-law is a Pathologist at a hospital in San Diego and, though he doesn’t have an M.D. after his name, we still consider him a doctor.  When I gave birth to my daughter, I experienced serious complications.  I was essentially hemorrhaging and no one knew why.  I visited the hospital twice in as many days and the doctors were unable to help me.  My mom called Keith, described what was happening and immediately he said, “Tell the doctors to look for a retained placenta.”  2 hours later, I was off to the O.R. to have surgery for what was officially diagnosed as a retained placenta.  I credit Keith in doing what no doctor could do for me that day.

And so, on this day, what is my sister and brother-in-law’s 23rd anniversary, and when I realize that they’ve been married for more than half my life, I know how blessed I am that my sister, whom I love dearly, chose Keith to be her husband.  Because I get to be able to call him my brother-in-law.

About legerboc

A learner, a teacher, a mom and a wife. Pretty good at the first two and working on the last two, every single day.
This entry was posted in Slice of Life 2017 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to SOL Day 20: My brother-in-law

1. Heidi says:

My skin tingles after reading your post. What a loving tribute.

2. Beautiful tribute! Sounds like you have a wonderful brother in law. It’s so wonderful to gain a sibling in an in law, and even better when they truly feel like a friend.

3. Crazy! What an amazing story !

4. arjeha says:

How blessed you are. Happy anniversary to your sister and her husband.

5. You did indeed hit the jackpot. Be sure and mail him a copy of this beautiful tribute. What you have written is a gift to him.

6. Vanessa Worrell says:

Happy Anniversary to your sister and brother in law. Very happy her was there when you needed him and you and your baby are well because of him!

7. Erin Montoya says:

Awww this brought tears to my eyes!

8. click says:

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it
    is truly informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful if
    you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!