Creative Writing 2

“All hope abandon ye who enter here”

Not really. This is the famous quote from Dante’s Divine Comedy. In the long poem, the guide Virgil makes a painstaking examination of the afterlife, and, therefore, causes the reader to reflect on life itself.

Though I wouldn’t describe creative writing as “hell” technically, it is a journey of hardships from which students emerge with a better understanding of themselves and their place in the world.

The works in these pages are the works of students bold enough to “enter here” into the world of Creative Writing 2. They are few, but dedicated.

Please enjoy their two-years’ efforts, and, as always, if you like what you see, please tell them so!

5 RULES FOR COMMENTING:

1. Real first names only; never use a last name.

2. No addresses, phone numbers, or other identifying information.

3. Be respectful, please.

4. Don’t write about other people, just yourself and the author.

5. Keep comments focused on writing.

Thank you for visiting and come back often. 

But as Virgil says, when you enter, abandon all hope of seeing life in the same way again:

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov’d:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here.

Such characters in colour dim I mark’d
Over a portal’s lofty arch inscrib’d:
Whereat I thus: Master, these words import.

–Dante Alighieri

The nitty-gritty:

Course description: This semester course offers practice in writing skills and structures for the student interested in a general knowledge of creative writing, and helps to prepare the committed student writer for further study in the field. The goal of Creative Writing 2 is to improve students’ writing skills and techniques in regard to fiction, poetry, playwriting, and creative non-fiction.  This course is conducted using a distance learning approach. Level 2 students will work independently to complete weekly assignments in reading and writing, unit projects, and a live performance. Feedback from the instructor is given electronically, and assignments are submitted electronically. Enrollees should be self-motivated and independent. Students may contribute original works to a class magazine. Prerequisite: Creative Writing I or teacher recommendation

Course open disclosure: Click here.