Hōʻike reflection time!

hoike 2013a

Congratulations on a successful Hōʻike. There have been so many positive — VERY positive comments, and concert glee played a MAJOR role in making it happen. I hope you all feel good about what you accomplished.

Please write a 400 word reflection on the experience. Answer the questions with complete sentences. What are your thoughts on the process of learning and producing an opera, how difficult was learning all of the music? how do you think concert glee did on their parts? How did the lead singers, dancers, band, costumers, makeup artists, set designers, lighting and sound technicians, student helpers, etc. contribute to the overall success of the show? What did you like about the hōʻike? What do you think went well? What do you think could have been better? How can we make next yearʻs Hōʻike better? And lastly, what do you think the purpose of Hōʻike should be for our school, and what do you think is the best way to accomplish that?

Respond here, or email me and attach a word document.

DO IT NOW!

hoike 2013b

18 thoughts on “Hōʻike reflection time!

1. I really enjoyed hōʻike this year, every year when I would watch it, i would always want to be apart of it. I always wondered what happened behind the curtains, what made each hōʻike so special. I thought that it’d be such a fun and awesome experience, and it was. I knew that it would take a lot of work to make this thing happen. It was a very difficult and long process. It was very demanding and you needed to be on task during all rehearsals. Even thought at times you weren’t doing anything except watching the main actors and actresses get stage directions, it was still a good experience. To me learning the music was actually kind of easy, once you had the rhythm of the song, you could easily memorize it. I thought that concert glee sang very well. We work very hard and made sure we sounded excellent. I thought that the main actors and actresses did very well as well. They sang so great and you could really see all of the time and effort they put into the production to make this hōʻike with watching. I think that all of the dancers, and technicians, and the band, and make up artists knew how special this event was and did their best. I think that everyone who contributed to hōʻike, the teachers who helped each class learn the song, the actor and actresses, the band, and Mr. Mahelona, everyone, if we didn’t have those people we wouldn’t have had such and amazing show. I liked that hōʻike had a lot of dances and the singing was very good. I think what went really well was the singing. I thought it was beautiful, especially Paliuli. I think that the time that went into all of the singing was well worth it. I think that each year it gets better and better. Each year we fix what we need to fix and make sure its worth the wait. I think what could make Hōʻike better is giving more and having more preparation for it. I honestly didn’t think that we had enough time because during the rehearsals i was very unsure if we were ready or not, but on the night of the show my mind changed completely. But I still think that if we had a little more time, it’d be perfect. I can’t wait for next year, I’m excited and ready!

2. Upon the completion of the final hōʻike, I have only wonderful thoughts towards it. Sure I never went quite as deep into the performance as some others did, and I probably only got all the good of the performance, but it was an amazing experience. Learning the music was not a problem because working on it so early in the year and singing it in glee so often made it easier to remember it by heart. I still have all the songs stuck in my head.
    I think everyone pulled their end for hōʻike and then some. Everyone worked so hard for this to come out; it surprised me. Concert glee did amazing, but of course we spent a lot of time on this. Kaila blew my mind (expected). Haunuʻu really stepped up to challenge and loudened her voice. I got chills when she stood up to Kaiu. Same with Napua; she did amazing. Those were the three people who stood out to me. Everyone else did very well also.
    The lighting was tweaking out at one point, but other than that it fit perfectly and made the scenes really pop. The sound would fade out sometimes which was kind of distracting, but I guess sometimes it was the actors singing softly. The smoke effect made everything more dramatic also.
    I really like the music in hōʻike. The singers were well, the lighting was good, the stage and the dancers were great, but nothing was as magical as the music. The notes were in perfect harmony and they ring in my head infinitely. To Mr. Mahelona- youʻre skill has surpassed the earth. I couldnʻt believe how great the music tied everything together. There are not words to explain and that is why I sound a little repetitive; sorry. Just, LOL standing ovation x 100000.
    I think all the different forms of transportation (the shell and the bird) were very creative also.
    There were not many flaws in the performance. Other than the ones Iʻve mentioned, there were some parts in the hōʻike where actors were too quiet or hit a flat note, but that was rare. Next year will be nothing like this year if itʻs not an opera, but I guess we can have better microphones and perhaps better roles? Maybe that sound mean~ everyone did great.
    Hōʻike should be a performance that brings the whole school each grade together as a family to compete in an unspoken friendly competition with the other grades, therefore bringing the school together as a family. It enables us to perform using Hawaiian language to show the world the culture we represent, and to our sister campuses, the small, talented family we have here.

3. What are your thoughts on the process of learning and producing an opera, how difficult was learning all of the music?
    My thoughts on the process of learning and producing an opera are that, it’s a very difficult process and that it takes a lot of effort and time to learn songs and learn the dances. But to actually be in it was such an honor because I was able to be apart of the first all school Hōʻike since 5 years ago. It was also an honor to be apart of the first Hawaiian Opera ever. The process was difficult but in the end it was all worth it because we had such a great show.
    how do you think concert glee did on their parts?
    I personally think concert glee did an amazing job because we had to learn a lot of parts but made through and had a great performance. It was challenging to learn some of the parts but with the help of Mr. Mahelona, other teachers and my fellow concert glee classmates we pull through and pulled of a great performance.
    How did the lead singers, dancers, band, costumers, makeup artists, set designers, lighting and sound technicians, student helpers, etc. contribute to the overall success of the show?
    Without the lead singers, dancers, band, costumers, makeup artists, set designers, lighting and sound technicians, student helpers, etc. we wouldn’t have had a successful show. Without them we wouldn’t have showed the true meaning of the story Keomelemele. Without the lead singers we wouldn’t have had a show, without the dancers it would’ve just been singing and that would be kind of boring. Without the costumers and make up artist our lead singers and dancers would’ve just been plain. Without the lighting and sound technicians and the rest of the people the show would’ve been plain and boring.
    What did you like about the hōʻike?
    I liked that the whole school contributed to the hōʻike because it really made it an interesting show and I think it brought all closer to each other.
    What do you think went well?
    I think everything went well because we were able to pull of an amazing show and had done the first Hawaiian opera ever.
    What do you think could have been better?
    I don’t think anything could’ve been better because I just really liked the show.
    How can we make next yearʻs Hōʻike better?
    I think that we could make next years Hōʻike better by having more practices as an all school so we would know when to come in and stuff.
    And lastly, what do you think the purpose of Hōʻike should be for our school, and what do you think is the best way to accomplish that?
    The purpose of Hōʻike for our school is to bring our school closer and to bring each class together by having a friendly singing competition against each other. It really help us show what our school could do and how much we really knew the Hawaiian language. The best way to accomplish that is to have an all school Hōʻike more often.

4. On the process of learning and producing an opera, I had no idea just how much work would be required for this hōʻike. There were dances that had to be learned, the classes themselves had to learn and memorize their songs, the actors and actresses had to put in their time and effort, the teachers and staff had to help make sure that the show was a success and that everyone did and looked their best, etc.… I mean it took a lot, but in the end it was beyond worth it. And learning the music was not as difficult as I had imagined it would be. I mean Concert glee had already started working on it and learning the songs from early on in the year, so that really helped. Plus Mr. Mahelona was always there to make sure we understood what was going on and he was there to help.
    I think that concert glee was wonderful! There were still some parts that we had trouble with, but in the end we managed to pull everything together. And we if anything we always had each other to ask for help when we needed it. And working on it in class with Mr. Mahelona was more than we could ask for.
    Well without the lead singers there really would be no show. I think that each and every one of them gave it their all and they really did their best. The dancers helped to bring some life to the show, and helped to illustrate parts in the story that we wouldn’t have been able to fully understand without them. And the band provided the music, without them there would be no life to the show. I loved the costumes; I thought they just made everyone in the opera look amazing and the costumes made it hard to stop looking at the actors! The makeup artists made everyone look perfect for their parts. And the set designers the lights, sound, and student helpers really helped to bring the show to life and helped to put the whole thing together.
    I loved that the whole school was able to get involved. And I loved that everyone got so into it. I think that the opera its self went well. I think that the actors and actresses were able to bring so much to the table. And they were truly great! I think the classes’ involvement could have been better. Some of them didn’t really do their best, and whether they realize it or not, it showed. If they could have just given their all the opera would have been more than amazing! To make it better I think that maybe we should get the classes’ started on their parts sooner, that way they aren’t as rushed as some of they say that felt they were. I think that purpose should be to just bring the school together as a whole. I don’t know how to really accomplish that. I just think that we should involve the classes more in a way that they are really excited to be a part of the show.

5. It goes without saying that Hōʻike overall is always one of the biggest productions we have at KS. But this year, we achieved the impossible for Hōʻike: a Hawaiian opera. As far as learning the music goes, I think it was relatively easy. The melodies were catchy, Mahelona knows how to teach without making everyone mad, repetition is always a positive for memorization, and everyone was pretty cooperative in the learning process. As amazing as the opera was as a whole, I think Concert Glee definitely played a huge role. They added the extra chill down your spine, especially in very beginning with the big bangs and ahs. Being that Concert Glee not only had to learn their class songs but every other song in the opera it was an incredible sound. As great as our actresses and actors were on stage, Concert Glee added that extra jazz. But as a whole, every individual involved played an important role. Needless to say, this production was an incredible masterpiece. The singers were top notch, dancers were the crème of the crop, band never ceases to amaze, costumers and makeup artists went above and beyond anything imaginable, and the set really added drama to the performance. At first, we were all a bit off our rockers, but when it was show time, everyone brought their A game. Of course, in every show there are a few bumps and cracks in the road but we pulled something together that is still entirely mind-boggling. Itʻs hard to say that there was one particular thing that I would like about Hōʻike because there has been such a vast amount of positive feedback from the show in every aspect. I believe the hard work that was put into the show is the reason for such a successful result. I think its safe to say what I thought the flaws were because I was never shy in expressing what I felt, but refraining from getting detention: I think the one thing that could have helped this years Hōʻike would be a little more time. Even if just a week, it would have made a huge difference. Regardless, in just a short two months, KS proudly put on a Hawaiian opera for the first time ever and returned to the gym for an all school Hōʻike. If thatʻs not something to rave about, I don’t know what is. To me, Hōʻike has always been apart of my year that meant performers of all types (not just actors and actresses) could come together and put on a show in its own unique way to showcase the talents that we have here at KS and every year that has been accomplished. As a senior, I am proud to have been apart of something much bigger than the school, it’s a step closer to changing our communities and Iʻm really going to miss it next year. With all due respect to the haumāna and kumu that will still be here next year, but I don’t think it is even humanly possible to out do what has been done this year.

6. Learning the songs for hōʻike was pretty fun. I loved the songs so it was fun for me to learn the songs. Learning them at first was a challenge but once i listened to them a couple times i got the hang of it and learned the songs fairly quickly. I think that concert glee did very good in their parts. My favorite part that concert glee did is the Ahhʻs and the Opening song for act 2. I think that everyone that was involved with this performance did amazing! We did our best and we did everything in our power to make this performance an amazing one. I think that we succeeded. I think that some of the lead singers did fantastic. They totally blew everyone away with their amazing voices. I think that the people that did costumes and make-up did awesome. All of the actors looked great. Something that i liked about the show was that it was never the same. The actors always changed it up and they made it so every single time we watched the show we had fun watching things change. Everything about this hōʻike was awesome. My favorite was all of the voices. I think that a lot of people never expected high school students to have such amazing voices. Some of the things that i think could have been better was just making sure that everyone learns their song and actually knows it. I think that maybe next year we can start practicing hōʻike thing a little bit sooner. Another one of my favorite things about this hōʻike was kailas songs and also kaila and haunuʻuʻs duet. I think that the purpose of hōʻike is to share the history of our culture. Some ways i think we could do that is make sure that everyone is involved, make sure that we find a story that is very interesting, and make sure that we do our best when participating in hōʻike. Overall hōʻike was amazing and i hope that next year it will be even better! I loved how we did an opera and i loved how all of the songs were great. I loved every song and i still have them stuck in my head all the time. The songs that we sang were all fun and easy on the ears. The music was probably the BEST part. I liked how every class got their own song. I think that it is cool that we had hōʻike as an entire school because it makes it so we can have something of our own and not have anything anyone can compare it to. I think that the reason why some of the people didn’t like it was because they didn’t understand what was going on. If you knew what was happening i think that you had more fun in all of the hula music and chanting of this performance.

7. As I reflect on Hō‘ike and all of the experiences that come with it, I only have positive feedback. It was amazing to see everything fall together on our performance nights. Being a part of such a big production was exciting, thrilling and a little intimidating. The process of putting together and learning the opera went very smooth but it was still demanding. Learning the music wasn’t as hard as I thought it was going to be. There was a little confusion, but after enough practicing, we sounded great and I could tell that the audience was enthralled. I feel as if concert glee pulled the entire show together. They helped the classes and we all sounded amazing! By the time we had our first dress rehearsal, I felt a sense of confidence among my classmates and we were all ready.
    I think that there could have been a little more organization with the seating and placing of the classes, concert glee and band. When the altos and sopranos were separated, I could hardly hear myself! But I’m glad the problem was solved and when we sang as a whole, it sounded wonderful.
    Without the technicians, dancers, band, designers, make-up artists and other helpers, the production wouldn’t be the same. They were so significant and they are part of the reason why hō‘ike was so remarkable. The lead singers and the principals did a great job. During the rehearsals, I was a little skeptical on how they would do, but at the dress rehearsal, I was in awe. Their voices, acting and dancing was breathtaking!
    One of my favorite parts of the hō‘ike were the costumes that the cast and dancers wore. Seeing the array of color and the unique symbols that they wore to represent their characters were really cool. Something that went really well was the music and singing. All of the classes, actors and concert glee sounded lovely. The composition of the music was flawless.
    Something that could have improved the hō‘ike was more time for all- school rehearsals.
    Over all, there wasn’t much that I would have changed. I feel proud to be a part of such a grand show. It felt good to have the entire school come together and put such an outstanding performance on. It was the best school production I’ve ever seen. I think that we will have a verys hard time out-doing ourselves for the following years to come.

8. For me this was such a unique experience. Being that it is only my first year here I have never seen Hō’ike before. I have never been part of this amazing culture. I know the school is small compared to other high schools but I have never seen such a large amount of people cooperating to be a part of this. I’ve never seen an opera, never sang in front of people and never been around such amazingly talented individuals such as the people in this school.
    I was surprised at how fun the music was to learn. It was a lot of music, I could only imagine how much work the lead roles put into their parts. It wasn’t too difficult with each other I was so grateful to have the people I have in my voice part in my class. Those people are amazing as well! Everyone in glee did a lot of working together to memorize the music and learn our voice parts. The music was so perfectly put together for Glee and the rest of the classes and it made an amazing show because even though we were just the background music we really set the mood to some of the parts in the play. I just loved learning the music, it’s such an amazing feeling to be a part of something so phenomenal.
    Concert glee was awesome; honestly I think everyone in these classes are just so talented and dedicated. Just being a part of this class is so much fun and I’m so happy that glee did so well. We all remembered our parts, the lyrics, and for the most part the cues. Like I said I’m still absolutely overwhelmed with the people in this class. Not that many other schools and classes would have put as much effort as concert glee and choir did for this show.
    Everyone was AMAZING it was such an awesome show. The dancers were flawless, the makeup and costumes were beautiful, flamboyant and fit the show perfectly. The band sounded so great too it was loud and had a great balance with glee and choir. The lights, sound and everything else was so incredible and intriguing it all made the show absolutely phenomenal.
    I loved everything about hō’ike but mostly I liked how it helped us grow as a group. The underclassmen in glee learned a lot as well because one day we will be the seniors and we’ll have to learn to be as helpful as the current seniors and juniors are to us now. There are so many talented underclassmen that will be fulfilling the roles of the current stars. I can’t wait to just keep on with my small part as a concert glee student 🙂

9. After the end of the final performance I really have nothing negative to say. To be honest I am going to miss our rehearsals. I am going to miss everything about Hoʻike. Getting to be part of the first year to a Hawaiian Opera is an experience I will never forget. I think that given the time given we actually did really good. When i went back to Waimea, there were nothing but good reports given pertaining to Hoʻike. Yeah we were quiet on some of the songs but it really didn’t matter to the audience. The experience for them was probably just as real and alive as it was for us. The last day when haunu’u slapped kaiu’s hand was priceless. Although that would’ve been really funny to witness during the other shows i don’t think it would’ve had the reaction it did. Every show we brought something different to the stage, and that is really what was so special about these performances. I like to think that the show would be basically nothing without any of the performers, like the hula dancers or us as a glee, but even the little jobs offset made it a bigger success. For example the technical support, without the lights or the mics our show wouldn’t have been what it turned out to be. I’m so happy and thankful that we didn’t need to sing along with a recording of the song. The band made the show come to life and made it more real for everybody. I really had no idea how much work was going to be needed to be put into Hoʻike in order to be as great as it was. I don’t believe that all classes gave their all, I cant even say that all of them were excited and I think we should, next year find a way to make them a little more excited about being a part of the show. I think that we as a school have a spirit that no other school has; each school has their own way of showing their spirit and using chanting, hula and singing we show ours.

10. I thought the the idea and concept that Hōʻike was about told an amazing story. Being apart of Concert Glee gave me a better look at the process of the production. The first part was learning the music, which called for not only talent, but skill. Being that the Hōʻike was an opera, the actors really needed to tell the story through their voice, and their presence.
    There werenʻt much props and scenery to really refer to, so the actors had to use the stage and themselves. To express traveling, theyʻd walk all over the stage. To express distance, people would stand farther away from each other. The staging really did matter because without it, the story would have been easily confusable.
    The design of the stage was made to be given a heavenly affect. Being gods, goddesses, and higher statured people, the settings were supposed to match. The costumes, being big and bold, were meant for the actors to stand out. You could tell the difference from the minor actors and the mains. The minor actors didnʻt stand out as much, in costume, as the main actors did.
    The story was very dramatic. It was about Paliuli and how she was in love with Kahanaiakeakua. They got married, and soon after he left, wandering around meeting new friends. They got with Poliʻahu and her gang, and he fell in love. Waka went and scolded him and he went back to Paliuli, but soon after, he went back to Poliʻahu. Paliuli tried finding herself and another man but never felt anyone was good enough until the end of the of the opera. The story had itʻs high points of drama and itʻs moderate. But the entire thing was awesome!

11. Being a part of hoʻike this year is a truly unique experience that i feel very lucky to have participated in. It was a load of fun, and i honestly think we sounded fantastic. Through all the practice sessions and rehearsals and waiting for our part to come up and everything else, we were model students. we were patient and graceful throughout the entire production. The performances, however, were truly when we showed our true colors. there was barely any talking or complaining, which i found to be both refreshing and commendable. we sang with no restraint or mistake. It was breathtaking to see the events on stage and our voices meld together so flawlessly. I was sincerely happy with the performances of all the grades as well. It all came together so well, and Uncle Herb should be extremely proud of all of us for doing his arrangements such justice. I, personally, was very honored to even be included in the production. Iʻm glad I could add my voice and talents to hoʻike, however minimal and limited they were. This hoʻike was well received by not only the student body and the entire school, but had enraptured the entire community in its charm and stature. I wasnʻt singing in last years production, but i think itʻs safe to say this years hoʻike was head and shoulders above not only last years, but all previous years if i dare to say it. I can only imagine next years production to be more successful and more impressive then this ones. It makes me very excited for the future of our school, and concert glee itself. I hope everyone else had as good a time as i did!

12. This years Ho’ike could not have gone any better. I loved the whole theme and the fact that is was all in the Hawaiian Language. I loved the fact that my senior year that the faculty decided to make it an all school Ho’ike and it was all in ‘Olelo Hawai’i. The most memorable part of ho’ike 2013 has to be the fact the costumes and head pieces were so fabulous. I’m not just saying this because I helped with costumes but also it just made the whole play come together. People who have seen Ho’ike keep saying that the costumes were fabulous and so were the head pieces. I can’t believe that my last year as a Kamehameha School student was gonna be like this wonderful cast and crew for every show that I was a part of and most of all the wonderful that the faculty put into this years Ho’ike. I would like to thank all the people that made this Ho’ike possible for everyone to enjoy. I only have one thing that I would like to see change I think it would have to be that Ho’ike rehearsals need to start a little earlier than they did this year. If next year is gonna be the same as this year, I hope everyone is ready to beat the best Ho’ike ever created “Keaomelemele- E ho’i ke kumuweana” We certainly returned to the source with this years Ho’ike.

13. What are your thoughts on the process of learning and producing an opera, how difficult was learning all of the music? how do you think concert glee did on their parts? How did the lead singers, dancers, band, costumers, makeup artists, set designers, lighting and sound technicians, student helpers, etc. contribute to the overall success of the show? What did you like about the hōʻike? What do you think went well? What do you think could have been better? How can we make next yearʻs Hōʻike better? And lastly, what do you think the purpose of Hōʻike should be for our school, and what do you think is the best way to accomplish that?

Hōʻike was probably the most exiting part of this whole school year! The show was awesome and I honestly thought that we sounded magnificent. For me the process of learning all the music of the opera was a difficult task because I really never participate I a production like this before. I had trouble and memorizing the music was a challenge, but with my fellow classmates, and a wonderful teacher like Mr. Mahelona, we pulled it off. I believe us, concert glee, did amazing on our part. We were the ones keeping the show running and the other students fed off our voice. The lead singers, dancers, band, costumers, makeup artists, set designers, lighting and sound technicians, student helpers, etc. contributed in huge numbers to this show. They were the ones that made it work. This was their Hōʻike. My favorite part of Hōʻike was spending the extra hours after school and on sleepovers for rehersal and bonding. I definitely think Hōʻike helped me make some new friends and strengthen bonds with old ones. It was a time that we all came together for one common cause, and pulled it off collectively. The part that went well was our preparation for this opera. We worked hard from the beginning and never stopped until we were perfect. I think this years Hōʻike was perfect, and everything ran smoothly. The purpose of Hōʻike is to remember the stories of out people, teach them to the next generations, and come together as one ʻOhana.

14. Initially, I didn’t think much about this year’s ho’ike. And I sure didn’t know what to think when they said it was going to be an opera, the first Hawaiian opera in recorded history, to be exact. And then I questioned what made an opera. Honestly, I haven’t made much of an effort to find out. But that’s totally cool because I have somewhat of a speck of an idea of what it COULD be. Anyway, some thoughts that went into the production of a Hawaiian opera, I guess would be choosing the story. How do you find a good mix of mature themes, but at the same time, keeping it appropriate? I guess since it was in Hawaiian, the majority of the kids there wouldn’t have gotten the meaning and only assumed that they were lying under a sheet hiding from monsters. A lot of that also went into the amount of labor, and cooperation of the cast, stagehands, and administrators. I’d imagine it would be a HUGE pain in the arse to get everything together, like makeup and where people are going to sit, or stand, and the constant practicing from everyone kind of made me restless.
    The music, for the most part wasn’t difficult to sing. It was mostly a matter of memorization. We probably should have practiced more and tried to memorize the words more, (or at all) before performing it in front of a thousand people. Though this wasn’t a problem for concert glee. Somehow we managed to pull it off quite nicely, and I’d say we skated by on the skin of our teeth. If teeth had skin. What I liked most about ho’ike was probably the sleepover. Not because I was super comfortable in the band room, or had a lot of people to talk with, but for some odd reason, waking up super tired with only a few hours of sleep then going to class was fun. I don’t know why. I’m probably just a troubled child. If I had to make some suggestions on how to make ho’ike better, I’d have to say that performers should be the only ones singing. The rest of the body that don’t sing can do something else, like act as a rock. The point of ho’ike this year was to try and recapture an old glory that we had as Kamehameha schools. Knowing that we can get that back, I think, really sets an example for other people that our cultural practices don’t always have to die out. And they can be saved with lights, the student body, and a lot of makeup.

15. I thought the the idea and concept that Hōʻike was about told an amazing story. Being apart of Concert Glee gave me a better look at the process of the production. The first part was learning the music, which called for not only talent, but skill. Being that the Hōʻike was an opera, the actors really needed to tell the story through their voice, and their presence. It wasn’t very difficult to learn the music because it was so catchy, and after each practice, it was practically stuck in my head. I think Concert Glee did really good, we were loud enough, and knew our parts, and although we had different sounds, we harmonized very nicely.
    The story was very dramatic. It was about Paliuli and how she was in love with Kahanaiakeakua. They got married, and soon after he left, wandering around meeting new friends. They got with Poliʻahu and her gang, and he fell in love. Waka went and scolded him and he went back to Paliuli, but soon after, he went back to Poliʻahu. Paliuli tried finding herself and another man but never felt anyone was good enough until the end of the of the opera. The story had itʻs high points of drama and itʻs moderate. I liked the costumes of ho’ike. They were super nice! I think the music went well, the band and the singing. I think the confidence in the singers is the one thing that could’ve been worked on. Next year, I think we should have more rehearsals so that we can get the music 100% down. I think the purpose of this ho’ike is to showcase the talents are school has, even as an overall, and I think the only way we can do that is if we, as a whole school, really tries, without complaining, and just have a positive attitude.
    But the entire thing was awesome!

16. What did you like about the hōʻike?
    For me, i liked the most of hoike because i thought it was pretty successful performance. the music sounded great, the choir sounded awesome, most of the actors did an awesome job. lol. well yeah i think for the first recorded hawaiian opera in history, we did a kick ass job. I really liked the sleepover because it was hella chill and it was a great way to interact with basically everyone. i noticed when we were all pau setting up all our crap that we are one big dysfunctional family. theres someone people that you will always love and then theres the cousins that you just wanna hit. Another thing, always write your name on your food because people become like vultures and just eat everything. The make up for hoike was just amazing. props to Taylor Bader cause she did and awesome job on making Liz, Kaila, & Haunuuʻs make up.
    What do you think went well?
    the part of hoike that i found went the smoothest and most consistent was the music and the hula. the choir and band did an awesome job at coming in on time, and sounding great. we’ll thanks to concert glee of course because we had highlighted music haha. i was surprised at how great the hula dancers did. they were really in time with each other and the pulled off their performances great. the best hula is the flight attendant hula though. it looked so nice i kind of felt like i was watching the merrie monarch.
    some of the casting could have been better if you know what i mean and I’m pretty sure you do. also, if some people had actually shown up to rehearsals then they would have done a better job than they did. I give props to Napua though because she did an awesome job for learning her part in the quick amount of time that she had.
    well if the classes could learn their songs by heart then it would save all the stress that we all went through during third quarter. also, get better actors/actresses that can pull through and do their part. i mean I’m not saying that they didn’t try, I’m just saying that if they had been more better on rehearsal time, we wouldn’t have to squeeze our butts when they perform.
    if we are doing another opera, which we probably will, just be mindful of the time it takes to rehearse everything. maybe try and rehearse from the beginning of the year.

17. My thoughts on the process of learning and producing an opera is that you have to be fully focused and contribute in everything there is to make the opera successful. When there are rehearsals, you must attend them and when you are at these rehearsals, your mind must be fully focused on the teacher and the music he is trying to teach because you miss a lot when you donʻt pay attention.
    Being a Hawaiian Opera, the music was not hard to learn. The hardest part for concert glee, I think, was singing in unison. However, it was just a little difficult, nothing we couldnʻt accomplish. Personally, I think we did amazing; more than what I expected.
    The Lead singers, dancers, band contributed to the overall success of the show by being the show. Everyone attended their rehearsals. The lead singers knew what they were doing and I think the singing was the best part of the show. The costumers, makeup artists and set designers contributed a lot to make hoʻike successful because without them I think the costumes wouldnʻt look nearly as good as they did. I thought the costumes and makeup for the singers and dancers were beautiful!
    What I liked about hoʻike is that it included the whole school to perform this opera. I think we all did really good. Honestly, I donʻt know what could have been better because I just think the show was really good and everyone enjoyed it.
    I think next years hoʻike can be improved by probably way more rehearsals maybe.
    The purpose of Hoʻike for our school is coming together as one and working together to make something huge, like this Opera, very successful. The best way to accomplish that is to work together and help each other and to put your heart into everything you do so that the finish product is amazing.

18. This years’ Hoike was absolutely amazing in my opinion. Before we put on the big production we had to go through a lot of singing and rehearsing the music. We learned all of the songs that each grade had to sing and additional songs that on concert glee had to sing. I think that we as a concert glee did a great job in learning all the music in a timely manner. We all worked so hard trying to memorize all the lyrics of the entire opera. It wasn’t easy learning all the music. The music was in Hawaiian and sometimes I couldn’t get the pronunciations or the rhythm of the song.
    When the final product, Hoike, was performed, concert glee in my opinion did really well. I honestly think we carried the entire school, concert glee alone. Also the main actors did well on their roles. I’ve seen growth in each character develop through out the course of Hoike. There were main characters that were experienced actors and also people who have never gotten on stage before. The people who chose the main characters did a great job of choosing.
    Each actor contributed in their own way and made Hoike a complete success. There is so much talent in our entire school and the main cast. I was very proud to say that I participated in the Hoike this year. Besides singing in Hoike, I did partake in the make up part of the show. I really enjoyed creating all the characters in to beautiful creatures. ☺ I’m not going to lie though; it wasn’t easy having to put makeup on all the character because the colors had to match with the lighting. Sometimes the makeup was too dark or too light but as a final result, the entire cast ended up looking real beautiful so props to the makeup department.
    I loved everything about Hoike. The story, the cast, the music…everything. I have too many feelings for this Hoike it was so beautiful. What went well was the timing of the show. We can always improve on singing both in the concert glee and the main cast. Next year’s Hoike will be awesome no matter what happens. Our school is full of talented students and if we focus and put hard work in the show, the result will be amazing. The purpose of an all school Hoike is to not only prove to others that we can work together as a whole to achieve greatness but to also prove this to ourselves. Hoike is also to bring our school together so we can spend time together as a high school and build relationships. Hoike 2013 was breathtaking and I can’t wait to apart of Hoike 2014.